Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sub $1000 widescreen tv?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sub $1000 widescreen tv?

Old 08-09-05, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub $1000 widescreen tv?

I'm looking to replace my 19" trinitron I bought back when I was a dorm-room living college student. Being an avid movie watcher, I'd like to view anamorphic stuff and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for widescreen televisions costing under a grand. I'm basically looking for the biggest I can get for the price.
Old 08-09-05, 02:06 AM

circuit city has a Sony 46in widescreen HDTV on sale this week for 1099. two of my buddies each bought one when it was on sale for 999 a few weeks ago. Great tv for the price, normally it is 1400. It is a CRT though, so a bit bulky.
Old 08-09-05, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Are you looking for a flat panel or just the biggest screen money can buy?
Old 08-09-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is what I want, among currently available models:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rPath=79*3316*
Old 08-09-05, 04:28 PM

Flat panel would be awesome of course, but for under a grand? I was trying to be realistic.
Old 08-09-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You can get flat panel for under 1K, but you won't realistically be getting a screen larger than 27" (30" if you find a great deal). If you go rear projection you can probably find yourself in the 42-52 inch area.
Old 08-09-05, 09:47 PM

Rear projection would make the unit too large. I wouldn't minde a 27" flat panel or a 30-34" tube. Any suggestions?
Old 08-10-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Phyre
Flat panel would be awesome of course, but for under a grand? I was trying to be realistic.
Really? Absolutely!! Costco has the Proview 32" for $999 everyday. You can get the Syntax AR for about the same. LCD prices have gone way down.

In fact, I just saw the Toshiba 30" WS CRT HDTV for $799, brand new at Best Buy yesterday.
Old 08-10-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And a 27" Sceptre for $700. Not to mention the Viewsonic I posted earlier for just over $800. Costco kicks ass.
Old 08-10-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
And a 27" Sceptre for $700. Not to mention the Viewsonic I posted earlier for just over $800. Costco kicks ass.
I'm going to send you an e-mail Spikester, but if you see this first...

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...ord1=viewsonic
Old 08-10-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn. You know, I have it all planned out for a Feb/March purchase of a mid-20" LCD for my bedroom. Tax return and whatnot. But these prices are so tempting....I don't know, maybe the Aquos will be $700 come Feb.

Part of my like for Costco is their ridiculous return policy. So nice.
Old 08-10-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn. You know, I have it all planned out for a Feb/March purchase of a mid-20" LCD for my bedroom. Tax return and whatnot. But these prices are so tempting....I don't know, maybe the Aquos will be $700 come Feb.

That's where I got my Plasma. I fear no burn-in or loss of brightness now
Old 08-10-05, 01:26 PM

I'm just a bit worried about spending a grand on a brand I've never heard of...
Old 08-10-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right. Hence:

Old 08-10-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I know this kind of late to post but Costco had a 32" Widescreen LCD (can't recall the brand) on sale last month for $899. I'm sure it will come down again for even less.
Old 08-10-05, 02:19 PM

Is the drop from a 30 or 32" crt to a 27" flat pretty noticable? I like the price of that LCD but it seems I can get a significantly bigger screen for the money. It is just bulkier.
Old 08-10-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Phyre
Is the drop from a 30 or 32" crt to a 27" flat pretty noticable? I like the price of that LCD but it seems I can get a significantly bigger screen for the money. It is just bulkier.
This should help you with that:

http://cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi
Old 08-10-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Drop? You mean from over 150# to under 40#? And from 25" deep to under 6"?

Depends. In my living room, it wouldn't matter. I have a large TV cabinet that can hold pretty much any 30" widescreen tube. Actually, it would have a problem with many of the comparable LCDs since they often have speakers on the side and some are just a bit too wide. If I put an LCD in there, which is likely within 2 years, there will simply be 20" of empty space behind it.
Old 08-10-05, 11:04 PM

You know for under $1,000 you can get a 100" screen with a front projector set up.....I cringe everytime I see posts for 30" TVs and them costing $1,000 or more. A 90" screen is nine times the size of a 30" screen......nine!!!

But to each, their own.
Old 08-10-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some of us certainly know that. But there are far more considerations going front projection. Many people can't fathom dealing with the lighting requirements.
Old 08-11-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by srr1138
You know for under $1,000 you can get a 100" screen with a front projector set up.....I cringe everytime I see posts for 30" TVs and them costing $1,000 or more. A 90" screen is nine times the size of a 30" screen......nine!!!

But to each, their own.
Please describe the components where I can get a decent projector and screen for under $1000. I agree that a front projector is the most bang for buck, but your $1000 number seems a little dubious.
Old 08-11-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sdcrym
Please describe the components where I can get a decent projector and screen for under $1000. I agree that a front projector is the most bang for buck, but your $1000 number seems a little dubious.
You can get the Infocus projector and screen for (usually refurb) for that price.

However, these projector people are really annoying. First of all, I don't have 90" of wall space because like most normal people, I have things in my house like art. Second, I like to watch TV during the day and out of my basement (light issues). Third, what the heck do I need to watch everything on a 90" screen for? That's overkill. Fourth, there's practically no viewing angle with a screen. You have to be directly in front of it for the most part. Fifth, no thanks, but I really don't want something hanging from the ceiling.

Sure projectors are cool, but their utility is vastly overrated.
Old 08-11-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can answer those questions/comments, Josh.

First, "these projector people are really annoying". I assume you mean because you aren't one?

1) Move the art. That's what I did.
2) That's the big problem. But solvable if you want to.
3) LOL. Come on over, I'll fix that attitude.
4) Actually, there's more angle than with RPTVs. Depending on your screen, it can be as good as LCD, almost as good as tube/plasma. Do you NEED to watch from 86 deg to the side? With a 90-120" screen, you better have a really wide room for this to become an issue, cause it's always in front of you.
5) Permwall is better, anyway. My DIY screen cost me several hours of work and less than $100.

You do have to decide on lamps, since they WILL burn out in time. Do you want to make it for movie night only or everyday watching? A $300 expense every 2-5 years just to keep it running scares some people, not others.

That said, I would not recommend jumping into a front PJ for $1000 if you aren't really interested. First off, you'll probably spend a bit more once you start looking at drapes or masking or other things that will inevitably interest you. And, if you think the upgrade bug is alive in you over computers or DVD players, just get a front PJ to see where it really kicks in and eats your wallet. Next, you are looking at refurbs or used PJs in that price range. That might work out great, but it can also be more of a hassle. Up the price range to $2000 and it's a very different story.
Old 08-11-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That said, I would not recommend jumping into a front PJ for $1000 if you aren't really interested. First off, you'll probably spend a bit more once you start looking at drapes or masking or other things that will inevitably interest you. And, if you think the upgrade bug is alive in you over computers or DVD players, just get a front PJ to see where it really kicks in and eats your wallet. Next, you are looking at refurbs or used PJs in that price range. That might work out great, but it can also be more of a hassle. Up the price range to $2000 and it's a very different story.
That's my point. ssr1138 mentioned $1000 to get a projector setup like it'd be as easy as plugging a crt into the wall. First of all, finding a decent projector for under $1000 is unlikely, then you have to worry about completely opaque drapes for every window and other lighting issues. You either have to buy a screen, which isn't cheap, or build one, which takes some planning, time, and money. Then there's the issue of mounting the projector and screen. It's not as simple as dropping $1000 and having an awesome home theater.
Old 08-11-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can answer those questions/comments, Josh.

First, "these projector people are really annoying". I assume you mean because you aren't one?

1) Move the art. That's what I did.
2) That's the big problem. But solvable if you want to.
3) LOL. Come on over, I'll fix that attitude.
4) Actually, there's more angle than with RPTVs. Depending on your screen, it can be as good as LCD, almost as good as tube/plasma. Do you NEED to watch from 86 deg to the side? With a 90-120" screen, you better have a really wide room for this to become an issue, cause it's always in front of you.
5) Permwall is better, anyway. My DIY screen cost me several hours of work and less than $100.

You do have to decide on lamps, since they WILL burn out in time. Do you want to make it for movie night only or everyday watching? A $300 expense every 2-5 years just to keep it running scares some people, not others.

As always, I respect your knowledgeable opinion. But I'll never be a PJ guy (unless it's a dedicated basement theatre, which I actually WOULD like someday).

I love my new Plasma. It's all the TV I need.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.