Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony RPTV wont play audio after a "POP" sound?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-05, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I have a Sony KP-53V75 Rear Projection TV. It is a few years old, but I have it in my bedroom and Iit is in really good condition. Today as my wife was watching TV I hard a 'pop' sound and the TV's audio was gone. I checked all the settings and there was nothing I an do to get the TVs sound back on. I also tied different inputs and nothing either.

Could someone give me any suggestions? I tried to get the speaker grill of the TV, but I could figure out how to get the whole thing off with out breaking it. In the mean time I have the audio coming through my stereo, but I cant keep it like that. Any help will really be appreciated.
Old 08-07-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Hard to say, could be the amp for the speakers. If it is not working I doubt removing the speaker grill would help. Probably need to get it serviced it you intend to keep it.
Old 08-07-05, 04:03 PM

I thought maybe if I took the grill off I could see something loose.
Old 08-07-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Odds are you'd have to look behind the speaker, not in front. A pop and then silence sounds like the electronics went like Chip said, not just the speaker driver (cone). Esp since there are probably 2 speakers and apparently both just went dead. Doubtful both drivers would have died at the same time.

Why not use your stereo? Probably better sound anyway, unless you mean a tiny bookshelf system or something.
Old 08-07-05, 09:16 PM
Banned

Are you using a surge protector and/or power conditioner?
Old 08-08-05, 08:34 AM

Thanks for your all your replies.

I do have the TV plugged into a surge protector strip.

"Why not use your stereo? Probably better sound anyway, unless you mean a tiny bookshelf system or something."
Thats exactly the reason. Its a cheapo system thats not near the TV.

I am asking people with some knowledge in A/V equipment, because I don't know if I should get it fixed or use that $$$ towards a new TV. If its a few bucks to fix I would get it repaired, but the repair places I called want $75-$100 just for a house call.
Old 08-08-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As mentioned by Spiky, it is probaly an electrical problem. Since both channels went at once, I would suspect the audio subsystem power supply. Next potential culprit is the audio power amp. Opening up the speakers will do nothing for you.

Nothing is cheap or easy about repairing RPTVs. Spend a few bucks on a receiver and speakers and be amazed at the drastically improved audio.
Old 08-08-05, 11:21 AM

OK. This is weird, yesterday the audio went completely out. As I mention I tried everything to get it to work. Today I turned on the TV and viola there was audio.

I am going to leave the TV on for a while to see if it happens again.

joshd2012 asked if I am using a surge protector. Could a surge cause this?
Old 08-08-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chip718
OK. This is weird, yesterday the audio went completely out. As I mention I tried everything to get it to work. Today I turned on the TV and viola there was audio.

I am going to leave the TV on for a while to see if it happens again.

joshd2012 asked if I am using a surge protector. Could a surge cause this?
Well a surge could damage the tv in general but if the surge protector popped off then I would think that the tv would not work at all.

In this case it is possible that the amp/power suppy is failing, a solder joint is bad etc. You can live with it but it does not sound good to me!
Old 08-08-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Perhaps the amp has a protection circuit, just like many separate amps/receivers do. I discovered my dad's old Sony RPTV has one. Did about the same thing, popped off the audio one day. I freaked out, but it worked after giving it a few minutes and I stopped running whatever it was I was doing to those speakers. I was over-powering them it turned out. Anyway, that was probably 14-15 years ago and the TV still works today, speakers included.