Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Broken Flowers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Broken Flowers

Just got back from seeing this tonight. Actually literally sat in front of Chris Matthews at the Bethesda artsy theater where it's playing in limited release this week (BTW there are TWO theaters in Bethesda, MD about two blocks apart - learned that the hard way tonight)

I hadn't even heard of it before this week and didn't know anything about it so I went in knowing nothing but the fact that it was a Bill Murray movie. Anyway, I really enjoyed it overall but I don't think it's a movie with much rewatch value. Good the first time - probably on the boring side the second time. And I think it probably loses A LOT if you don't see it in the theater where you get the contageous laughter. I won't really say any more about it other than I enjoyed it.

I'll give it a solid 4/5 though that might change after it marinates on the brain tonight.
Old 08-06-05, 01:18 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Also just saw it, sold out show in SF, I liked it loads, however my mrs
Spoiler:
wanted more closure out of the film
Old 08-06-05, 01:21 AM

Yeah, my group was mixed in that regard as well.

Spoiler:
It didn't really bother me. I think I was actually kind of rooting for that as the film wound down.
Old 08-06-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I've been looking forward to it since I read about it a couple of months ago. Glad to hear that you liked it.
Old 08-06-05, 09:55 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's fantastic film. I recommend it to everyone.
Old 08-06-05, 03:01 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Jeffrey Wright is brilliant as usual in this film, he is an excellent actor.
Old 08-06-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Spoiler:
Jarmusch steadfastly refuses to adhere to the narrative conventions of studio films. So some audience members who go expecting to see a Bill Murray film are bound to want more than Jarmusch is interested in giving. From a profile in last Sunday's NY Times (reg req'd):

Like the rest of Jarmusch's work, "Broken Flowers" is a kind of foreign film set in America. It seems less concerned with results than with the in-between moments of life: the journey rather than the destination...

After "Stranger Than Paradise," Hollywood came calling. Eager to absorb his cinematic sensibility, the industry offered Jarmusch action movies, teen movies, movies about hipsters in New York clubs, movies with cocaine-dealing plot lines. He turned everything down.

When it became clear that Jarmusch was not interested in signing a deal with any studio, Hollywood stopped offering him projects. He had cemented his reputation as a staunch outsider. "My place is in the margins,'' he said. "If I made a film that a lot of people liked, I might wonder what I did wrong."
Old 08-06-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it, loved it. I thought the ending and the non closure issue really were handled well.

Spoiler:
You pretty much get everything you needed to get out of it. The unwanted search for his sons mother taught him a thing or two about actually eventually wanting to have kids.

It's amazing how it works out in the long run. I loved each stop and while it was as conventional as it would normally be. I loved it.

As for re-watching it. I want to see it a couple more times to pick up on the little things that I may have missed. I think this one has a huge rewatchablity.
Old 08-08-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of my most anticipated films of the past few months. Opened on one screen here in town, so may catch it next week. Glad ta hear the positive reviews.
Old 08-08-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw this over the weekend with 3 friends. We were all really looking forward to it after all the positive reviews but came out disappointed. Not a bad movie but so many characters were introduced during Murrays trip, are on screen for 10 minutes without ever being developed and then we're left with one of those Indie Ambiguous endings. Because of this we all left the theatre disappointed. Don't pose questions that are never followed through with.
The entire movie you are given clues to figure out the mystery the main character is trying to solve but we never get the pay off.

Amen!
Old 08-08-05, 01:01 PM

Loved the rhythm Jarmusch infused into the film, very circular and repetitive, with variations on various 'refrains'. Loved the music, particularly Holly Golightly. Loved the contrasts between Winston and Don with much credit due to Wright's and Murray's performances.

Overall, a wonderful filmgoing experience.
Old 08-09-05, 12:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

just saw this last night. anyone who left the theater with unanswered questions wasnt paying attention or misunderstood the questions being asked. this is a film about how the journey, not the destination, changes you. don was able to catch glimpses of what his life might have been like if he'd made different decisions in the past. which brought him to the conclusion that what's in the past is unchangeable, the future is unknowable, and all that one should do is be present to the "here and now".

Last edited by Cygnet74; 08-09-05 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-09-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good movie... I agree that it ended perfectly considering the themes of the film -- perfectly summarized by Cygnet.

I still think it falls behind Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai and Dead Man in the Jarmusch catalog.
Old 08-10-05, 12:22 PM

Yeah, I said originally that I wouldn't want to see it again, but I was dumb back then. I'm way smarter now. I'd actually like to watch the movie again.
Old 08-10-05, 04:03 PM

I'm still amazed (in a good way) that Sleep was included on the soundtrack...never thought I'd see that happen again.
Old 08-10-05, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Toka
I'm still amazed (in a good way) that Sleep was included on the soundtrack...never thought I'd see that happen again.
Are you talking about the metal band, Sleep?

I'm dying to see this movie... soon!
Old 08-11-05, 10:07 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loved the movie and am becoming a fan of the quietly sardonic Bill Murray. The lines in his face are so wellworn that lifting an eyebrow is a story in itself.
Old 08-12-05, 02:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Trelach24
Just got back from seeing this tonight. Actually literally sat in front of Chris Matthews at the Bethesda artsy theater where it's playing in limited release this week (BTW there are TWO theaters in Bethesda, MD about two blocks apart - learned that the hard way tonight)
Saw Mr. Matthews and I assume his wife at a movie over at the Avalon awhile back. Oh... you accidently went to the Regal (that sucks).

As to the movie I really liked it, but it really didn't help that Bill Murray is kind of retreading his role and acting job he had done in "Lost in Translation" - I found it kind of redundant.

AFI in Silver Spring is showcasing a number of Jarmusch's films - I am going to check out a few of them since I have only seen "Stranger than Paradise"

The Sad and Beautiful World of Jim Jarmusch (Friday, August 5 through Thursday, August 25)
Old 08-12-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I read an article on it in People and will, definately be checking it out!
Old 08-14-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
just saw this last night. anyone who left the theater with unanswered questions wasnt paying attention or misunderstood the questions being asked. this is a film about how the journey, not the destination, changes you. don was able to catch glimpses of what his life might have been like if he'd made different decisions in the past. which brought him to the conclusion that what's in the past is unchangeable, the future is unknowable, and all that one should do is be present to the "here and now".
Exactly...The end was the best part of the movie in my opinion. Some of my biggest problems with so many movies I watch now is that everything has to have the "perfect" ending. Everyone coming out of the theatre last night was complaining about the movie and how it ended, and they didnt really realize that the point of the film wasnt
Spoiler:
that he found his son or the mother but the journey to find them and himself.
I do have to say I didnt love the movie because I found it to be a bit on the boring side at times, but I did enjoy the premise, ending, and the performances and I think Wright out shined Murray in this one.
Old 08-15-05, 12:50 AM

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Just everything really seemed to click for me and made it a really good viewing experience.

Anyone catch the Neil Young shout out? The flower shop girl was named "Sun Green" who is a character from Neil's Greendale album (Jarmusch directed a documentary about Neil Young)
Old 08-18-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in a minority here, but I wasn't all that impressed. Sure, Jeffrey Wright was great, Bill Murray did another one of his sleepwalking type performances and Sharon Stone had a nice turn as one of Don's ex's, but overall, I felt the movie was far too slow and self important. It seemed to think it was some brilliant "slice of life" and I felt that the whole time I could see Jarmusch smirking "look how indie and brilliant this is!"....

Maybe I was expecting too much. I usually don't mind a slower paced movie and ones that don't have a straight payoff don't usually tick me off, but this movie was just dull with only a few shining spots throughout, but not enough to make the movie good in my books.

MATT
Old 08-18-05, 11:30 PM

As slow as it was at times, I was never bored. Jeffery Wright was great as usual, and I loved the cd's Winston made Don. How about that Lolita scene , everyone in the theater was going nuts !!

Last edited by SPiRAL; 08-18-05 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-25-05, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I saw it last night and I loved everything about it.
Old 08-26-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i really wanted to like this movie. i was extremely let down.

this movie was about nothing to me. murray was a playboy and now he is lonely. he might have a long lost son out there somewhere. he goes back (the rearview mirror continually representing looking back?) to revisit some old flames...nothing really happens. nothing is revealed. murray, one of the great actors of our time, just stands there and does nothing for most the movie (his best line was, "that was a nice outfit you weren't wearing"). there were some clever scenes but this movie missed everything to me and i desperately wanted to LOVE this movie.

there was nothing for me to take out of this movie. it was purely nothing. again, i love murray. no meaning, not entertaining, murray not used=5/10 for me.

again, i know others loved it (i thought i would too)...just sharing my opinion

my favs of his
life aquatic
rushmore
groundhog day
lost in translation

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.