Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart - 08.04.05

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart - 08.04.05

Did anyone else see the Daily Show tonight? The Colbert report on the Dukes of Hazard Movie was so damn funny...

"I know someone who'd bounce that" LOL
Old 08-04-05, 10:42 PM

That definitely was a classic. Snatcher, I mean Cooter, hasn't even seen the movie and he's telling people to boycott. Just like Dogma, boycotting something because of things they've heard.
Old 08-04-05, 11:00 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
More like boycott it because they wouldn't give him a part in it.
Old 08-04-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The part of the interview with the frat guys talking about how they would do Jessica Simpson was hilarious...
Old 08-05-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Because of his accent and the crosstalking, I couldn't understand what Carville said that pissed Novak off. Anyone?
Old 08-05-05, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Because of his accent and the crosstalking, I couldn't understand what Carville said that pissed Novak off. Anyone?
Carville and Novak were both trying to speak while they were handicapping the GOP candidacy of Katherine Harris. Novak said the opposition of the Republican establishment in Florida might not be fatal for her.

"Let me just finish, James, please," Novak continued. "I know you hate to hear me, but you have to."

Carville, addressing the camera, said: "He's got to show these right wingers that he's got a backbone, you know. It's why the Wall Street Journal editorial page is watching you. Show 'em that you're tough."

"Well, I think that's bull---- and I hate that," Novak replied. "Just let it go."
Old 08-05-05, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Carville and Novak were both trying to speak while they were handicapping the GOP candidacy of Katherine Harris. Novak said the opposition of the Republican establishment in Florida might not be fatal for her.

"Let me just finish, James, please," Novak continued. "I know you hate to hear me, but you have to."

Carville, addressing the camera, said: "He's got to show these right wingers that he's got a backbone, you know. It's why the Wall Street Journal editorial page is watching you. Show 'em that you're tough."

"Well, I think that's bull---- and I hate that," Novak replied. "Just let it go."

What a Stiffly Stifferson. Seriously, great episode!!!
Old 08-05-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brookzy
That definitely was a classic. Snatcher, I mean Cooter, hasn't even seen the movie and he's telling people to boycott. Just like Dogma, boycotting something because of things they've heard.
Yeah, but at least he has a better idea of what's in the movie. He's right, they are over-sexualizing it when compared to the original.

Personally, I'm just not going to see the movie because one look at the trailer tells me it's a festering pile of shit. None of the 3 mains can act to save their lives, and Burt Reynolds makes a piss-poor Boss Hogg.
Old 08-05-05, 08:52 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Yeah, but at least he has a better idea of what's in the movie. He's right, they are over-sexualizing it when compared to the original.
It's been 20 years since I've seen the original, and I've not seen (or intend to see) the movie, but, in the tradition of Ben "Cooter" Jones, let me talk about them:

1) The movie is probably much more sexualized than the TV show was, but
2) The TV show contained as much sexuality as it was legally and socially possible to get away with on network TV at that time. I have no doubt that if the FCC and society would have let them get away with it, the TV show would have been just as sexualized then as the movie is now.
Old 08-05-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
2) The TV show contained as much sexuality as it was legally and socially possible to get away with on network TV at that time. I have no doubt that if the FCC and society would have let them get away with it, the TV show would have been just as sexualized then as the movie is now.
You can have "no doubt" all you want, but that doesn't prove what you say.

It was a different set of morals back then. So I can understand why he has a problem with the movie being done this way. His comparison he made elsewhere, saying that it's like bringing back I Love Lucy and making her a crackhead, was rather accurate.

The sexuality doesn't offend me, but I can see how it offends him. The movie offends me because it looks like the typical Hollywood piss-poor remake. More than likely, it's aimed at the people in their mid 20's that vaguely remember the show, and the kids that don't remember it at all but just want to see these pathetic excuses for actors.
Old 08-05-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Lynching blacks used to be fun in the South, too."

"I don't agree with that."

Old 08-05-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think your right JasonF. The movie was far from the first time Daisy was put into a skimpy bikini. And I don't buy the morals BS. "Cooter" was on a hit TV show in Hollywood during the 80's. It's not like he's from puritan times. He probably did a small mountain's worth of coke off stripper ass, and if he didn't you can bet he did business with people who did.
Old 08-05-05, 11:08 AM

"She could have the entire fucking spectrum on her head and I'd still bounce that ass."

Old 08-05-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Who's Cooter again?"

"He's the mechanic."

"Oh...fuck that guy."

"I don't understand why they have to billboard their fucking packages."
Old 08-05-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Man, I wish they'd get back to doing the next-day rebroadcasts at 7:00 pm. I miss this show all the time, now.
Old 08-05-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That fraternity kid should be hired as a regular.

das
Old 08-05-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't think the frat stuff was funny......but then again I hate most frat dudes anyway.

The "Snatch-face" or whatever he called Cooter was pretty good, as was his humorless reply "What did you just call me?"
Old 08-05-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The whole episode was one of the best in a long time. From Bob Novak through to Miles O'Brien.
Old 08-05-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
Man, I wish they'd get back to doing the next-day rebroadcasts at 7:00 pm. I miss this show all the time, now.
They air them the next day at 10am, 8pm, and then at 11:30pm after the new episode airs.

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
It was a different set of morals back then. So I can understand why he has a problem with the movie being done this way.
Actually, you can get away with a lot less nowadays. I read an interview with Richard Linklater that said he had to tone down a lot of the humor that was in the original Bad News Bears movie for the re-make. And then ironically, everyone now talks about how "bawdy" the new one is. I think people assume that things aremuch more risque now.

I can think of a lot of movies from the 70's and 80's that you wouldn't see made today because of the content. Teen sex comedies were much more explicit back then, for example.

I think the main difference is for the Dukes movie is broadcast TV vs. film.

Last edited by Jadzia; 08-05-05 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-05-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scottall

I had to pause my Tivo because I was laughing too hard on that line.

There was another story they did recently about military recruiting that was just as funny as this one. What a great show.
Old 08-05-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scottall

Sorry to be picky, but I think the response was "That's where you and I differ."
Old 08-06-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"So there was nothing more for me to do here but crawl into the General Grant, and head back up to the godless North..."

Cue "Hava Nagila."