Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Any word on GREED (1925)????

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any word on GREED (1925)????

Has anyone heard anything about GREED coming to DVD? I thought I remembered reading various things about the movie being released in the near future.

And also, what happened with TCM's DVD Decision? Is there even going to be one this year?
Old 08-05-05, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I remember reading earleir this year that something like 20 minutes of missing footage for this film had been discovered. Perhaps the restoration process is still going on and they are adding it back into the print that they reconstructed back in 1999. I would love to someday see this movie in it's entirety, if all the missing fotage is found.
Old 08-05-05, 10:27 AM

This one looms large on my want list. Fantastic film, and a very interesting reconstruction. It would be great if the two were included in a nice set; I could see scads of extras on this one. The background of the making of the film is as interesting as the movie itself. Love to see a release of Hell's Heroes and West of Zanzibar as well, while I'm thinking about it...
Old 08-05-05, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I remember reading earleir this year that something like 20 minutes of missing footage for this film had been discovered. Perhaps the restoration process is still going on and they are adding it back into the print that they reconstructed back in 1999. I would love to someday see this movie in it's entirety, if all the missing fotage is found.
Could you provide a link to that news? Finding 20 minutes of lost Greed footage would be MAJOR news, and I certainly don't recall reading anything about it; a Google search also came up empty. I would love to be wrong in this case, but I'd like to see the source.

With respect to Warner's release of Greed:

The film finished ninth in Warner's DVD Decision 2004 poll (the top five were released earlier this year).

From a 2004 article in the Boston Globe:

"Greed" (1924). Warner plans to release director Erich von Stroheim's silent masterwork within the next two years. The two-disc set will include both the existing film and a semireconstructed version of von Stroheim's original eight-hour cut, which premiered on Turner Classic Movies in 1999. The targeted release date could be pushed up depending on how "Greed" fares in the studio's DVD Decision competition in June.
I'll bet we see it on DVD sometime over the next year (under the "TCM Archives" imprint). But no official announcement has been made thus far.

Also, it doesn't appear that there will be a "DVD Decision 2005" (there's been no announcement yet, and the previous two polls were conducted in the early Summer and the results announced in September, IIRC).

Last edited by FilmFanSea; 08-05-05 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-05-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a LD copy of it, but haven't found the time to watch it yet. Maybe this weekend.
Old 08-07-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man... I really want this on DVD.

Along with the restored, 5 hour + 2000 version of Able Gance's NAPOLEON.
Old 08-07-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OscarFan10
Has anyone heard anything about GREED coming to DVD? I thought I remembered reading various things about the movie being released in the near future.

And also, what happened with TCM's DVD Decision? Is there even going to be one this year?
no idea. This one was on the vote as well, but no luck.

Executive Suite 1954? Warner Brothers Desicion still not out.
Old 08-07-05, 03:10 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by Heliosphann
Along with the restored, 5 hour + 2000 version of Able Gance's NAPOLEON.
Yeah! I wonder how they could reproduce the tripict sequence....I'd be willing to set up three TVs and DVD players to get the full effect.
Old 08-12-05, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Living Dead

Saw no news about this at all, I'm SURE it would have had more widespread circulation if it were true. Remember, those who understand nothing about variable speed projection of silent film often make the mistake of thinking a slower projection speed (and thus a longer running time) equals more footage.

What I've heard is that both the Rick Schmidlin version shown on TCM with the stills added and the Robert Israel score will be issued in a set with the previous version issued on Laser and VHS. Hopefully the latter will be newly transferred...knowing WB that should be the case, and perhaps that is delaying things.

Last edited by unclehulot; 08-12-05 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-26-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from HTF chat

Greed is coming with the 1923 theatrical cut and reconstructed scenes. In one uber box set that does not yet have a release date