Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Roseanne season 1 DVD uses edited for syndication episodes.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 06:33 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

From post 15 in this thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...light=roseanne

I just emailed Anchor Bay to finally put to rest the question of whether the episodes would be syndicated or full versions. Sorry, bad news, the response I got was ....

"The release will be of the syndicated version."

I hope that's a mistake! I won't be purchasing this DVD set now.
Old 08-04-05, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
This sucks if true. Why bother putting out the sets if theyre the syndicated episodes?
Old 08-04-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Removed from my wish list.
Old 08-04-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
First the Cosby Show, then Roseanne and it wouldn't surprise me if Different World is also using syndicated episodes on the DVD set.

I want to know who's responsible, Carsey Werner or the DVD studios, for supplying the syndicated cuts and releasing them on DVD.
Old 08-04-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
First the Cosby Show, then Roseanne and it wouldn't surprise me if Different World is also using syndicated episodes on the DVD set.
Old 08-04-05, 08:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roseanne is the worst show I ever seen in my life but that is bad news for Roseanne fans
Old 08-04-05, 08:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
Roseanne is the worst show I ever seen in my life but that is bad news for Roseanne fans
It's bad news for TV on DVD fans. If the production companies continue to find this practice acceptable, they will continue to do it.
Old 08-04-05, 08:32 AM

What's the big deal about syndiacted episodes? I mean, I wasn't about to buy Roseanne, but if say... Scrubs were syndicated, it wouldn't stop me buying them...
Old 08-04-05, 08:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vedderstapp
What's the big deal about syndiacted episodes? I mean, I wasn't about to buy Roseanne, but if say... Scrubs were syndicated, it wouldn't stop me buying them...
If you're cool with having 2-3 minutes cut out of each episode, so be it.
Old 08-04-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn.
Old 08-04-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
If you're cool with having 2-3 minutes cut out of each episode, so be it.
I wouldn't be totally happy about it, but I'd still buy my favorite show if that was the only way to get it on disc.
Old 08-04-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most shows, when put into syndication, are indiscriminately cut by 2-3 minutes to make room for more commericals. [I say "most" because I know of a few instances, such as 'Everybody Loves Raymond', where somebody involved in the show and very high up does the cutting himself, because he'd rather do it than have somebody unfamiliar with the show do it. Not Romano, whoever the other main exec producer is.] Obviously, this means jokes are lost, but in many cases, actual plot points can be lost or obscured and difficult to follow.

It's basically a slap in the face to fans, like "We couldn't be bothered to find the best elements to put this set together, we're just going to rush it out and assume that you'll buy it, because you're stupid monkeys."

Suppose your favorite movie were 'Pulp Fiction', but when it came out on DVD, it was only the edited-for-TV version. Since Quentin Tarantino himself did the edit, that would obviously be an acceptable release, right?

Non-syndication-edits is the OAR for the new millenium.
Old 08-04-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why does the cynical part of me think that they will fix this later and it will become a marketing point during re-releases in 5-10 years?

HD-Roseanne: Each episode with expanded footage!

I've been somewhat lucky so far, since the edited shows haven't been ones I've been interested in buying. Although one borderline title (Alf) was quickly removed from my want list.
Old 08-04-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's the big deal about syndicated[sic] episodes?
This kind of 'logic' ( ) astounds me. What if the only DVD release of The Godfather had 20 minutes edited out of the movie (3 minutes removed from a 25 minute show = 20 minutes removed from a 175 minute movie), would that also be 'no big deal'? Yes, I realize Roseanne is not of the same quality as The Godfather, but the point is still valid.

Chance of my buying Roseanne if released uncut......... 100%
Chance of my buying Roseanne if released syndicated... 0%
Old 08-04-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 347 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
It's basically a slap in the face to fans, like "We couldn't be bothered to find the best elements to put this set together, we're just going to rush it out and assume that you'll buy it, because you're stupid monkeys."
Non-syndication-edits is the OAR for the new millenium.
I'm in strong agreement with the above posters who support the concept of the unedited versions of these shows being put out. I've gotten very-much into buying TV shows on DVD, many of which I had missed when they were broadcast, or only caught now and then. The DVD format has made the enjoyment of these much greater than trying to find them (in order) on repeat channels, assuming they are even shown any more. I currently have over 30 seasons of various shows to watch.

I had planned on getting both the Cosby Show and Roseanne until I heard they were syndicated versions. I'm sorry, Mr. Studio Exec, but I will not buy your DVDs if I know they are not complete. I know I'm probably in the minority when it comes to the DVD purchasing public but I will stand firm.

<-- Not a stupid monkey
Old 08-04-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a specific example of an episode that's hurt by the syndication cut ... whichever Seinfeld episode that plays backwards, where they go to the wedding in India. Throughout the episode, George is continually using the phrase "put your sorries in a sack, mister" or something similar, and several times during the show the other characters comment on this odd phrase and wonder where George got it from. When the show aired on NBC, at the very end you got to see the funny payoff of where it came from. This is gone from the version that airs on TBS.

I didn't notice what else was missing, but since I specifically remembered how clever the end of the episode was, I noticed when that was gone.
Old 08-04-05, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
This kind of 'logic' ( ) astounds me. What if the only DVD release of The Godfather had 20 minutes edited out of the movie (3 minutes removed from a 25 minute show = 20 minutes removed from a 175 minute movie), would that also be 'no big deal'? Yes, I realize Roseanne is not of the same quality as The Godfather, but the point is still valid.

Chance of my buying Roseanne if released uncut......... 100%
Chance of my buying Roseanne if released syndicated... 0%
Ok, I appreciate what you're saying - though Roseanne is hardly going to now contain huge plot holes if a minute or two is cut here and there.

Here in the UK, we have frequently had things cut from movies which have existed elsewhere, but this would most certainly not stop me from buying something if I liked it.
Old 08-04-05, 11:24 AM
Banned

Well bully for you then. OTOH, my favorite show is cut at times and it really pisses me off.
Old 08-04-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I appreciate what you're saying - though Roseanne is hardly going to now contain huge plot holes if a minute or two is cut here and there.
Spoken like somebody who doesn't pay attention to "The Simpsons". There are several episodes where the writers point out, via the commentary, things which were cut from syndication and, thus, rendered the episodes more difficult to follow. Off-hand I can't think of any, but they're there. (I believe the Michael Jackson episode cut something major.) I'm sure other people will have examples they can cite.

In a show like 'Roseanne', with at least a dozen major characters and a few dozen more minor ones, cutting a single line could throw off a character's motivation in other scenes. And in later seasons, 'Roseanne' had arcs which would last through several years. Casual sloppy cutting can only hurt this sort of thing.

Here in the UK, we have frequently had things cut from movies which have existed elsewhere, but this would most certainly not stop me from buying something if I liked it.
Well, that's your prerogative. (And it's at least partially based on a ratings system which is less tolerant of violence and bad language, but more tolerant of sex, right?) I mean, we've had that with some stuff here too (though I *always* try to buy the most complete version, even if it means ordered from another region). But the feeling a lot of people have is that if people keep swallowing their complaints and buying the stuff without a peep, the studios will think there's nothing wrong with these sorts of releases.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed in Roseanne. I thought she was putting effort into this set, the way that Seinfeld did. It's a shame, as I'd been getting really into this show in syndication lately, and was looking forward to starting from the beginning and seeing them uncut, but there's no way I'd bother with a sub-par release like this.
Old 08-04-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Barring something as cynical as "we'll double-dip 'em with the complete episodes next year", is there any reason of a practical nature why they'd release the cut-for-syndication versions? Is it simply a mistake, an oversight? Are there rights issues? Do the complete cuts still exist?

I'm not interested in any of these sets, but this seems to be something of a trend, and one that should be very troubling for fans of these shows. I presume this didn't happen to "The Simpsons" on DVD?
Old 08-04-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't even believe this crap! This is the only TV on DVD show that was left that I was interested in purchasing -- if only the syndicated episodes are being put on the sets, I'm not interested.

Edited to add, from Carsey Werner's website:
For over twenty years, the company, under the personal leadership of partners Marcy Carsey and Tom Werner, have always practiced its original philosophy:

"Quality over quantity - every program must be worthy of its airtime."
Assholes.

Last edited by SMB-IL; 08-04-05 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
It is sad to think that Roseanne herself was involved in the production of this set and she accepts this type of release. I thought she had more pride in her show than this but obviously she doesnt care what her fans get.
Old 08-04-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
As you've seen the original versions once (MAYBE twice) and the syndicated ones countless times each.... how would you even remember what you're missing?
Old 08-04-05, 02:55 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Barring something as cynical as "we'll double-dip 'em with the complete episodes next year", is there any reason of a practical nature why they'd release the cut-for-syndication versions? Is it simply a mistake, an oversight? Are there rights issues? Do the complete cuts still exist?
Probably because they're easier to obtain? The syndicated prints exist at affiliates all across the country, while the original is buried in a vault somewhere.

Originally Posted by GuessWho
As you've seen the original versions once (MAYBE twice) and the syndicated ones countless times each.... how would you even remember what you're missing?
Well, that's a sunny attitude. If you don't remember it, it must not be important. Didn't Reagan use this excuse in the Iran-Contra scandal?

Besides, it's not about stuff you remember, it's about seeing new stuff you don't remember, if you've only seen the show in syndication. I love watching the early seasons of The Simpsons and Married...With Children and catching little bits that I'd never seen in the show before. If all you get from the DVD is the syndicated version, you might as well buy a DVD Recorder and make your own compilation.
Old 08-04-05, 02:59 PM

I remember jokes and scenes edited out of Lifetime's showing of THE GOLDEN GIRLS. In one episode, there's a line that says "Blanche has been under more sailors than a nautical toilet." The edited version shown on Lifetime cuts out this sequence, but then leaves in Rose talking about the cut line later in the episode. IT makes no sense. I pre-order the ROSEANNE set, but I'm now going to cancel it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.