Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stalag 17: Great movie, but....(SPOILERS INSIDE)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I caught Stalag 17 finally. I'd highly recommend it as a great guy flick, William Holden might be the biggest badass I've ever seen(especially considering this was 50 years ago and most stars were maintee idol candyasses). And it only cements my realization that Billy Wilder is the greatest director ever.

But there was a part that really kind of, I don't know, left me uneasy.
Spoiler:
What the hell was up with the slow dancing in the barracks? I've never seen this depicted before or after in ANY movie? Was this based in any fact? Frankly, it was disturbing how INTO the dancing these guys were. it was simply surreal. I don't mind the content, but it's so far afield from whats been established to that point in the movie. Did anyone else have issue with this?
Old 08-01-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't think this is really a spoiler,

Well, they were in the moment and there weren't any women around their barracks to actually ask to dance - to do that they would have to
Spoiler:
avoid the plant - which at that time I don't think was that much of a problem to them as they did not know who it really was - but could easily get something taken away later
, sneak past the guards, and go over to the fence - which probably was not surrounded by woman at that time.

They wanted to dance - so they did.

Not sure why this would disturb anyone.

Last edited by conscience; 08-01-05 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-02-05, 02:36 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Because.....

Spoiler:
Well, on the tour - - the film said they used frog DNA to fill in the gene sequence gaps. They mutated the dinosaur's genetic code and blended it with that of frogs. Now, some West African frogs have been known to spontaneously change sex from male to female, in a single sex environment. Malcolm was right! Look, life found a way!
Old 08-02-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
They wanted to dance - so they did.

I would imagine - and thankfully so, only imagine - that when you've lived with death on your doorstep, many things are put into their proper perspective. Given the situation, a simple "joie de vivre" display should be seen as no more than that.

The "men dancing together" and "dressing up as women" thing doesn't seem rare at all in war films and the like - no matter the culture; the recent Korean action film "Silmido" comes to mind as an example. DVDTalker The Nature Boy, I'm reading your "unease" with this in more of a casual "shootin' the breeze" sense than anything more, but just in case it did truly make you that uncomfortable I suggest you stay away from Renoir's "The Grand Illusion".

You've recommended "Stalag 17" as a "great guy flick" and that's what it is (actually a great, great film overall) so don't read too much into the scene(s) with which you had issue; the dancing scenes were innocuous.....and also a - perhaps even profound - glimpse into human nature.
Old 08-02-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A very similar sentiment here:

Number forty-seven said to number three:
You’re the cutest jailbird I ever did see.
I sure would be delighted with your company,
Come on and do the jailhouse rock with me.

Jailhouse Rock (words & music by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller)
Old 08-02-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flixtime

I would imagine - and thankfully so, only imagine - that when you've lived with death on your doorstep, many things are put into their proper perspective. Given the situation, a simple "joie de vivre" display should be seen as no more than that.

The "men dancing together" and "dressing up as women" thing doesn't seem rare at all in war films and the like - no matter the culture; the recent Korean action film "Silmido" comes to mind as an example. DVDTalker The Nature Boy, I'm reading your "unease" with this in more of a casual "shootin' the breeze" sense than anything more, but just in case it did truly make you that uncomfortable I suggest you stay away from Renoir's "The Grand Illusion".

You've recommended "Stalag 17" as a "great guy flick" and that's what it is (actually a great, great film overall) so don't read too much into the scene(s) with which you had issue; the dancing scenes were innocuous.....and also a - perhaps even profound - glimpse into human nature.

i don't think the dancing was really that different than a modern day film like "You Got Served".. Just people in the moment.. The dancing was not sexual at all.. Hell, if they were wrestling, that would be more sexual
Old 08-02-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Because they could dance if they wanted to, they could leave their friends behind, 'cause their friends didn't dance... and if you don't dance, well, you're no friends of mine.
Old 08-02-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime

I've seen the Grand Illusion several times and think it's a great film and had no issues with it. Again, it's not the content, I think it's the content in context. I know there had been some build up with the guy sweating Betty Grable, but we go from a pack of "man's men" to a bunch of guys dancing. Left me scratching my head. I'd still obviously recommend it though, it's a great movie, just a strange moment to me.
Old 08-02-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you think that makes you uneasy, you should see the deleted "dry humping" scene.
Old 08-02-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The russian woman sniper prisoners were a kock tease
Old 08-02-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was just a sign of the times. People danced in the 40s. Alot more than they dance now. Saturday night dances, marathon dances all kinds of events centered on dance in that day. And as for any sexual overtones. I think you are putting today's view on a film that was made many years ago about a time when homosexuality wasnt on everyone's mind like it is today.

Personally I think that they were doing it more for the exercise than anything else.