Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice: getting new HD receiver from cable company?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-05, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm new to the HD scene (relatively, last december) and I just found out that my provider (TW in NYC) has different HD receivers. I thought it would just be with or without HD but no variations between the types. Is there an easy way of finding out what my options are? I have a feeling if I call them up, I'm going to get a clueless operator.

I'm basically looking for a receiver that puts out a 16x9 signal through S-video. I've only had scientific atlanta converters since I moved here.
Old 08-01-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You cant get a HD signal in 16x9 through S-video. S-video only passes 480i. For HD you need Component, DVI(or one of the variants), or Firewire.
Old 08-01-05, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cseyer
You cant get a HD signal in 16x9 through S-video. S-video only passes 480i. For HD you need Component, DVI(or one of the variants), or Firewire.
Wrong. It won't be HD but it will be 16x9. SA receivers won't do it over S-video but others will. In order to record 16x9 on my DVD recorder I need to get one of those.
Old 08-01-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only easy way to find out is somebody who KNOWS about your locality specifically. If you know somebody, good. Otherwise, CSR roulette. And it will be changing all the time anyway. TWC and Comcast are now merging.

I'd recommend a DVR, but I know little else for your situation.
Old 08-01-05, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiky
Only easy way to find out is somebody who KNOWS about your locality specifically. If you know somebody, good. Otherwise, CSR roulette. And it will be changing all the time anyway. TWC and Comcast are now merging.

I'd recommend a DVR, but I know little else for your situation.
Don't have the money for DVR. My cable bill is already over $100 without ANY premium channels and a DVR still won't help the situation. I need this for recording onto DVD-R. I already have a recorder.

Where was the info about TWC and Comcast merging? And how would that affect my cable boxes? lol
Old 08-01-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Wrong. It won't be HD but it will be 16x9. SA receivers won't do it over S-video but others will. In order to record 16x9 on my DVD recorder I need to get one of those.

So you want the box to give HD to the TV and a 16x9 SD picture to the DVD Recorder via S-video? I stand by my statement 480i is a 4:3 aspect ratio signal. You may be able to get an analog 4:3 signal with a black bars that looks like 16x9 but it wont be 16x9, no way to do that over composite or s-video that I am aware of.
Old 08-01-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cseyer
So you want the box to give HD to the TV and a 16x9 SD picture to the DVD Recorder via S-video? I stand by my statement 480i is a 4:3 aspect ratio signal. You may be able to get an analog 4:3 signal with a black bars that looks like 16x9 but it wont be 16x9, no way to do that over composite or s-video that I am aware of.
That sounds about right. I do the same sometimes with my Motorala HD STB when I feed the HD signal to my VCR since I can't a DVR from my cable company. The component output feeds a 16:9 HD signal to the HDTV and the Svideo or composite out can feed an SD 480i 4:3 signal of the same channel to the VCR. The SD feed adds black bars to the original 16:9 signal on output to the VCR resulting in a 4:3 recorded image. So if his SA box works similar he can't get a 16:9 SD signal output from the STB via Svideo.
Old 08-02-05, 09:25 AM
Banned

You guys are wrong. Check AVSforums. A 16x9 signal is output via S-video with pioneer receivers amongst others. You record in 16x9.
Old 08-02-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
You guys are wrong. Check AVSforums. A 16x9 signal is output via S-video with pioneer receivers amongst others. You record in 16x9.
:nods: Most HD set top boxes should downconvert.
Old 08-02-05, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
:nods: Most HD set top boxes should downconvert.
Unfortunately, Scientific Atlanta (which TWC uses almost exclusively) does not.

Looks like I'll give them a call tonight and see what my other options are and on Friday, go down and exchange the box for a different one.
Old 08-02-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure about the 16:9 thing, but I do know that you can record anamorphic over an Svideo connection with capable DVDRs, unlike mine. I just don't know if it depends on the source's output or just the DVDR. I think it may depend more on the ORIGINAL source, NBC/HBO/etc. I suppose HD material is no problem.

I mentioned DVR because they are much more useful than regular receivers. They are also the same or barely more $$/month than a regular HD box when talking about cable companies. From DirecTV they are the same price with programming like you have. You'll have to check the prices since they are different everywhere. You can substitute a DVDR/HDD for the true DVR a bit, but with the cable DVR you'll have HD recorded to watch/archive whenever you get time. Frees up your schedule. And, since most are now 2-tuner, allows you to get a couple shows at once.

I can say my DirecTV box does not downconvert UNLESS I switch it manually, but then the component/HDMI outputs are also 480i, ruining watching. Now, I have the HDTivo, so I can watch it in HD, then set it to 480i to burn to disc at a different time. I think this is fairly common that you can't output both 480i and HD res at the same time. Another good reason for the DVR if that is true with the TWC boxes, too.

Last edited by Spiky; 08-02-05 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-03-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got a link?

I've never heard of anyone recording a 16:9 SD image to a VCR, TIVO like device or a DVD recorder without the black bars being added or the image being squeezed. If the recorder can record in anamorphic or enhanced for 16:9 mode and the HD receiver is capable of simply down converting the 16:9 HD signal then that's different than recording it as 16:9 SD that has been down converted from 16:9 HD. If recording in anamorphic mode is what you're looking to do than the resulting image is 4:3 on the recording but it's anamorphicly squeezed.
Old 08-03-05, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chipmac
Got a link?

I've never heard of anyone recording a 16:9 SD image to a VCR, TIVO like device or a DVD recorder without the black bars being added or the image being squeezed. If the recorder can record in anamorphic or enhanced for 16:9 mode and the HD receiver is capable of simply down converting the 16:9 HD signal then that's different than recording it as 16:9 SD that has been down converted from 16:9 HD. If recording in anamorphic mode is what you're looking to do than the resulting image is 4:3 on the recording but it's anamorphicly squeezed.
Yeah i have a link. www.avsforum.com they're all over. It's very easy to find.
Yes, it's basically recording the image stretched...but that's also what commercial DVD's do as well.
It's very possible.
Old 08-03-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My dishnetwork HD receiver is connected via DVI (beautiful hd) and S-video....the hd channels on s-video are not 16x9 and do have the black bars.
Old 08-03-05, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
My dishnetwork HD receiver is connected via DVI (beautiful hd) and S-video....the hd channels on s-video are not 16x9 and do have the black bars.
That receiver may not transmit a 16x9 signal via s-video. As stated before, some do and some don't. You have to do research on each.
Old 08-03-05, 10:49 AM

That receiver may not transmit a 16x9 signal via s-video. As stated before, some do and some don't. You have to do research on each.
Yeah, its no big deal to me....i always use my DVI, but have the s-video for secondary purposes.

I was just posting my experience. Good luck with your project.
Old 08-03-05, 10:53 AM
Banned

Yeah, its no big deal to me....i always use my DVI, but have the s-video for secondary purposes.

I was just posting my experience. Good luck with your project.

Thanks, man. Well, I always use my DVI as well but for things that I want to record that are 16x9, this would be a sweet alternative.
Old 08-03-05, 11:01 AM

Thanks, man. Well, I always use my DVI as well but for things that I want to record that are 16x9, this would be a sweet alternative.
Have you thought about getting a DVD recorder? Then you could use component or better.
Old 08-03-05, 11:08 AM
Banned

Have you thought about getting a DVD recorder? Then you could use component or better.
Uhh..what do you think this whole thread is about? Check my posts above.

Its about RECORDING onto DVD-R in 16x9 via s-video. Most recorders don't have component in.
Old 08-03-05, 11:34 AM

Uhh..what do you think this whole thread is about? Check my posts above.

Its about RECORDING onto DVD-R in 16x9 via s-video. Most recorders don't have component in.
Ah, im sorry, I skimmed...I thought you might have been talking about a s-video VCR.

I didnt realize that most DVD Recorders dont have component.
Old 08-03-05, 11:40 AM
Banned

Ah, im sorry, I skimmed...I thought you might have been talking about a s-video VCR.

I didnt realize that most DVD Recorders dont have component.
Nope. I actually dont' know of ANY that do...but i'm sure they're out there.

I don't even use my VHS any more. Haven't used regular VHS in probably 6 years at least. I had SVHS before that. I'm a quality whore.
Old 08-03-05, 11:44 AM

Nope. I actually dont' know of ANY that do...but i'm sure they're out there.

I don't even use my VHS any more. Haven't used regular VHS in probably 6 years at least. I had SVHS before that. I'm a quality whore.
Yeah, my VCR is in the closet and has been in there for about 5-6 years also.
Old 08-03-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think there are 2 or something like that. And they don't offer any improvement over Svideo according to comments I've read. A Sony and a lesser brand, IIRC. If you're truly interested, search the DVDR forum at AVS. That's where I read about them, but I don't think there's been much discussion lately.
Old 08-03-05, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiky
I think there are 2 or something like that. And they don't offer any improvement over Svideo according to comments I've read. A Sony and a lesser brand, IIRC. If you're truly interested, search the DVDR forum at AVS. That's where I read about them, but I don't think there's been much discussion lately.
There are 2 what?

Nope...Pioneer is one of them and people are specifically searching them out. 16x9 will ALWAYS give you more resolution.
Old 08-03-05, 12:01 PM

Wow, thats surprising to me....ive never looked into getting a dvd recorder, but I assumed that the technology was modern enough to have component as a norm. Now I know. Thanks for the info guys.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.