Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

List of TV shows on DVD using syndicated cuts?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-05, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know if there's a list of TV shows out on DVD that use the edited cuts of the show so I can avoid them. Sort of a buyer beware list.

I know of a couple:

ALF
The Cosby Show

And I know there are more.
And OT but can you believe they edited Dreamscape from it's original cut when it was released on DVD? And they still had the nerve of calling it a Special Edition, wtf were they thinking?
Old 07-30-05, 11:20 AM
Banned

will and grace
Old 07-30-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too Close For Comfort. At least I know for a fact season one is, has anybody heard about season two?
Old 07-30-05, 07:37 PM

There is a huge thread over at HTF posted as a sticky in their TV DVD forum on this.
Old 07-30-05, 08:36 PM

Hmm... that sounds like a pretty good idea. I've been looking for something to plug into my domain besides a forum.

Anyway, I guess HTF means hometheatreforum so I guess I should head on over there.
Old 07-30-05, 09:18 PM

The HTF thread is a bit hard to follow. They are posting everything from changed music to "previously on" clips being cut. And there's not one master list anymore, they deleted that and just linked to TV shows on DVD.
Old 07-30-05, 09:22 PM

Sorry, I can't for the life of me find the link to edit my post, but I wanted to add that I'm mainly looking for TV Shows that are on DVD that have been cut to their syndicated run.
Old 07-30-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I believe Combat only runs at the most-47 minutes-when the original ran approx. 52 minutes.
Old 07-30-05, 11:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I believe Combat only runs at the most-47 minutes-when the original ran approx. 52 minutes.
And just look at the price they charge for those half-season sets!
Old 07-31-05, 10:02 AM

Blindrocket - I didn't realize that Dane had deleted his master alteration list and linked to TVODVD. Sorry for sending you a bum steer. There is so much of this going on anymore that one is better off doing a search for a specific title on DVD Talk or HTF and seeing what pops up. Getting a complete master list would be almost impossible.

Regarding COMBAT...I believe those are time compressed episoded, but the actual content is complete.

TVshowsonDVD.com is probably having to tread very lightly in this area. I'm sure they are great advocates for getting complete episodes, but they also depend on studio support to keep their site relevant. If the studios see them reporting news that causes consumers not to buy their product then the studios probably aren't going to continue giving them early information etc. I think Gord and Dave do a great job. Remember the do that site on a volunteer basis. They don't get paid for it. I doubt if very many people would keep up the time committment required to make it the valuable resource that it is.
Old 07-31-05, 07:36 PM

I emailed tvshowsondvd.com about Cosby Season 1 and referred to the DVD talk thread. I asked if she could confirm if it was cut or not and all she said was "that stinks if its true". So she wouldn't/couldn't confirm it. That was a few days ago.
Old 08-01-05, 10:04 PM

Interesting. I hate how we aren't getting straight answers now, especially when they release press releases saying we will get full episodes and then they actually release syndicated cuts. :/
Old 08-02-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by blindrocket
Interesting. I hate how we aren't getting straight answers now, especially when they release press releases saying we will get full episodes and then they actually release syndicated cuts. :/
I wonder if they even realize it. I read an article before that explained why the problem exists is because they are rushing TV content to DVD, and old archived tapes of these series are not properly labled. In the case of Cosby, it's probable that they might have used tapes that were mis labled and did not contain the fact that they were syndication edits. And the people mastering the shows for DVD are not fans of the series to know when a few seconds are missing here and there, so they have no idea.

I blame poor libary record keeping for these problems.
Old 08-24-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
TV Shows on DVD had started a feature which allowed people to submit info on alterations so others could easily check which releases had been altered, but they suspended new additions to the database. It seems they have become increasingly reluctant and cautious in displaying any info that might hurt the studios. They haven't even mentioned in their site that the upcoming The Cosby Show release is cut. Many people who don't have time to surf these boards rely on TV Shows on DVD when they need some quick info. One can only guess there will be many disappointed persons this tuesday who will not be consulting that site anymore...

Maybe someone could start a new site devoted to listing for quick review info on altered TV on DVD releases, since TV Shows on DVD is so beholden to the studios these days...

Update from 8/24/2005:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3975

(excerpt)
We tried to combat the issue of set alterations with the "Alterations List," which turned into a huge mess of incorrect alterations (people said Lost shouldn't be widescreen!). We haven't abandoned that idea, but it's been suspended pending an overhaul by me. We were hesitant to post news for every alteration, especially music, or a missing teaser which wasn't part of the master tape, but there needs to be compromise.

From today on, we'll be posting news items for major sets featuring major flaws in order to draw attention to them. Studios will be contacted and given 2 working days for an explanation on a reported issue, and then the information will be posted to the site, with, or without, their explanation. I'll decide what gets posted, and I'll be the one writing them up. I'll also be the one to contact the studio and ask for a response.
Old 08-24-05, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I emailed tvshowsondvd.com about Cosby Season 1 and referred to the DVD talk thread. I asked if she could confirm if it was cut or not and all she said was "that stinks if its true". So she wouldn't/couldn't confirm it. That was a few days ago.
I'm a guy, not a girl.

I can't confirm something is cut when I haven't seen the set, or remember the episodes on TV. Unfortunately I often have to rely on fans for a lot of these alterations.

Gord
Old 08-24-05, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
I'm a guy, not a girl.
My bad.
Old 08-25-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
I hope Gord starts to make good by warning people about the upcoming Married with Children cut set...
Which isn't even confirmed yet. One reviewer THINKING the set is cut does not make it fact.