Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sopranos Season 5 - On second thought...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

During the original airing of S5, I was one of the show's critics about how uninteresting the show had become. Within the last few days, I watched all of the episodes again. Although I still stand by my disappointment of the endless dream episode and the episode with Tony getting friendly with his father's creepy girlfriend, the season as a whole was pretty good. The story arc of Tony B. from prison to civilian life to crime to loose cannon to fugitive was well-played and very satisfying. An excellent Steve Buscemi, along with the New York family war and the downfall of Adrianna made for an interesting season overall.

Only seven more months to S6!
Old 07-28-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only?!? Wasn't S5 on like four years ago or something?
Old 07-28-05, 10:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too enjoyed season 5 (and praised it when it initially aired ). Season 6 will be here in no time!
Old 07-28-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Charlie...I think the shows play better back to back than they do watching them a week at a time. When Season 5 first aired, most of us thought the plotting was all over the place - but when watching them together, I think it's obvious the season was pretty well thought out by Chase and the other writers.
Old 07-29-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly, watching Sopranos back to back and not like hyping up the next episode is key. I like to think of them as 13 hour episodes
Old 07-30-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
We don't have HBO so we rent the seasons from the library and usually watch all of the eps in a week or less.

Mrs. Pusser and I also weren't thrilled with the dream episode. But overall it was an excellent season and I loved Buscemi on the show.

That boyfriend Finn was a bit odd-did he really think the guy was going to force him to have sex with him after he got caught blowing the security guy? That was a weird scene. I felt that if it went a bit farther in showing what was happening that the Sopranos would have a new fan with DVD Talk member art.
Old 07-30-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
That boyfriend Finn was a bit odd-did he really think the guy was going to force him to have sex with him after he got caught blowing the security guy? That was a weird scene.
Well, just a day or so before that Finn saw Eugene Pontecorvo brutalize Little Paulie over the tiniest of jokes, so he was familiar with the violence.
Old 07-30-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
True-I know that he had fear in him, but I guess I would doubt that someone would force another to do the sex thing. Then word would definitely get out-unless Finn was killed. That wouldn't be a smart move w/Tony's daughter etc.