Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

PT Anderson hired as Altman's backup/glorified AD/ghost director

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/23/mo...es/23prai.html
http://www.mnspeak.com/mnspeak/archive/post-443.cfm

A thin young man kept popping up on Mr. Altman's shoulder during shooting recently, offering bits of advice. Paul Thomas Anderson, director and Altman-phile, is ostensibly on the set for insurance purposes; Mr. Altman is 80, so a backup director is part of the package. But he stays keenly involved because, he said, "it is invaluable to spend as much time around Bob as I can." He has no position as to whom the movie belongs to, other than that it is not his.

"Whatever chef is going to take credit for it, it is going to be a very spicy dish that I will be more than happy to dine on," Mr. Anderson said.
PTA will be credited as Executive Producer.

On-set photo
Old 07-27-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was just talking to my mom about what the hell PT Anderson was up to. I loved his movies and can't wait for more future projects.
Old 07-27-05, 09:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I would like to see both Paul Andersons do a movie together.
Old 07-27-05, 09:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I was going to post about this the other day...

I actually have a small role in this movie and have been on set for the past few weeks. The picture you linked above was filmed outside Mickey's Diner in St. Paul a few Saturday's ago (that night we worked until 4 AM).

That was the only day that I've seen Robert Altman in a wheelchair - although when he is not, he does have difficulty getting around. I actually spoke with PTA the other day...he's a pretty cool guy. His chair says "pinch hitter" on the back.

This movie has gained quite a bit of national attention because of the talent involved so it's pretty cool to be involved with it.

Of the cast members, I've met Kevin Kline (signed my Silverado DVD), Woody Harrelson (prick), John C. Reilly, Meryl Streep and Lindsay Lohan (she is literally as white as a ghost, but a friendly gal though).

Today I am leaving work early because I got called in for a last minute scene with Tommy Lee Jones (looking forward to meeting him).
Old 07-27-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Woody Harrelson (prick)
You can't leave us hanging there!
Old 07-27-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I was just talking to my mom about what the hell PT Anderson was up to. I loved his movies and can't wait for more future projects.
Last thing I heard, he was going to make an adaptation of Upton Sinclair's novel Oil, starring Daniel Day-Lewis. I don't know if the project is on hold or has fallen through altogether.
Old 07-27-05, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Grubert
Last thing I heard, he was going to make an adaptation of Upton Sinclair's novel Oil, starring Daniel Day-Lewis. I don't know if the project is on hold or has fallen through altogether.
I'll ask him tonight if I get a chance and will let you guys know tomorrow!
Old 07-27-05, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
You can't leave us hanging there!
Overall, he's just not a nice guy. He's not friendly to the small group of autograph seekers. Just not a pleasant guy to be around.
Old 07-27-05, 09:59 AM

As cool as that is I will say it again: I absoutly loathe "A Prairie Home Companion". With any luck again they will do something else in the future that I might consider seeing
Old 07-27-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Groovy.
Old 07-27-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
What's this movie called, and what's it about?

(btw, I've met Kevin Kline too - class act all the way)
Old 07-27-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
What's this movie called, and what's it about?
Sorry - A Prairie Home Companion

Plot Outline: A look at what goes on backstage during the last broadcast of America's most celebrated radio show, where singing cowboys Dusty (John C. Reilly) and Lefty (Woody Harrelson), a country music siren (Meryl Streep), and a host of others hold court.
Old 07-27-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Altman loves lohan.
Old 07-27-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ReservoirDog45
As cool as that is I will say it again: I absoutly loathe "A Prairie Home Companion". With any luck again they will do something else in the future that I might consider seeing
I too cannot stand the radio show, but from all descriptions, this movie seems like a different beast from the show. I like the talent involved all around and think the story sounds interesting. It's not like they are filming a live "Prairie Home Companion" show as a movie. If they were doing that, I would stay far away from it.
Old 07-27-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I think the movie is going follow a "behind the scenes" storyline - just like The Company.

Never head of the show. And these days, I view Altman as a mixed bag. But the guy has accomplished so much, I won't miss it in theaters.

PT Anderson as a ghost director? That's excellent. The guy has me hooked. One of the few artistis I really follow closely. I'm very eager to see if his style (which is often inspired by ...ahem... younger Altman) carries over. Or maybe he's just being like an on-set advisor, without getting very involved.

Interesting to see how the two work. It may be glue. But it could be epoxy.
Old 07-27-05, 04:32 PM

That plot makes it sound somewhat better. My much hated english teacher forced us to listen to an episode once and the who time I wanted to kill myself. Although PTA and Altman could be promising. By the way, Altman has not aged well at all
Old 07-27-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Today I am leaving work early because I got called in for a last minute scene with Tommy Lee Jones (looking forward to meeting him).
Don't get your hopes up. I was around Jones on the set of "U.S. Marshals" and he's not pleasant to work with.
Old 07-27-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
What's the beef with Prairie Home Companion? That's something I always consider it a treat to listen to and find Garrison Keillor's stories amusing and heartfelt.
Old 07-27-05, 08:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
What's the beef with Prairie Home Companion? That's something I always consider it a treat to listen to and find Garrison Keillor's stories amusing and heartfelt.
Well, to some people, it's like a razor blade Q-tip.

And those some people is me.
Old 07-27-05, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Painfully hokey/cheesy
Old 07-27-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's pretty cool. I hope PT comes out with some new stuff. Poor Altman he doesn't look good.
Old 07-28-05, 02:04 AM

Yeah, that Altman picture definately isn't flattering. It is depressing to see because although Altman is hit or miss for me there is always one constant and that is the overwhelmingly great McCabe & Mrs. Miller, I still watch it all the time and think of how perfect it all is.
Old 07-28-05, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Well, to some people, it's like a razor blade Q-tip.

And those some people is me.

You guys need to hang out together. You could, like, listen to angst-rock and tell each other how mainstream people suck and stuff.
Old 07-28-05, 08:00 AM

Well guys...it was a long shoot last night. We didn't wrap until 4:30 AM (and I had to be back in the office by 8 this morning).

Anyway, it was a fun night last night. There was an exterior shot outside of the Fitzgerald Theater (St. Paul) focusing on Kevin Kline's character, Guy Noir. After that, we did a shot of Tommy Lee Jones (Axeman) coming out of the theater and driving away in a Lincoln Town car.

Robert Altman was there, although PTA was definitely calling the shots. I'm curious as to what credit he's going to receive for this movie, because from what I've seen it is more his movie than Altman's.

Oh...and I did talk to PTA and asked about Oil!. He said some details still need to be worked out, but that it looks positive.
Old 07-28-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

PTA will be getting an Executive Producer credit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.