TV producer may move to cable to escape ad deluge

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/...&w=RTR&coview=

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The creator of Emmy-winning legal drama "Boston Legal" said Tuesday he's concerned about the amount of commercial time on primetime TV shows and raised the possibility of working in cable in the future.

"If the commercial encroachment becomes worse, it's probably something that we'll all consider," David E. Kelley told reporters during ABC's portion of the Television Critics Assn.'s summer press tour at the Beverly Hilton. He said he has no plans in cable right now.

Kelley said that when he worked on "L.A. Law," there were 48 minutes of show. That has been reduced over the years to a little more than 41 minutes. Kelley said that makes it tougher to create character-driven stories and tell emotional stories, particularly within the five-act structure that sometimes gives only eight minutes between commercial breaks.

"It's tough to be as effective as a storyteller with 41 minutes," Kelley said. He added that it was hard to get the audience's attention for a subtle or softer story line coming out of some commercials. He said he would be open to alternatives to add to the time available.

"I would love to explore some ideas that buy some of that time back," Kelley said, including perhaps entertaining offers with corporations that would sign on as co-producers who might allow 43 or 44 minutes for the shows.

In an interview following the presentation, Kelley said he had explored a co-production deal with a company for his shows "The Practice" and "Ally McBeal" for that reason. But it wasn't practical because, given his story lines, it was possible that it would offend at least somebody that might make it difficult for a company to sponsor the show.

"My exploration came to an end because the corporate entity wanted some script control . . . That's not viable" for creative reasons, Kelley said. He hasn't considered it since.

During the panel, Kelley said he wasn't happy about ABC's removal of "Boston Legal" for the premiere of "Grey's Anatomy" this year.

"It was very tough, but it's the reality that we're dealing with, and we're going to make a go of it in our new time period," Kelley said.

He added it was particularly difficult because he felt "Boston Legal" was coming to its best five episodes when the show was taken off the air. Four of the five episodes, including two with Heather Locklear as a murder defendant and also guest-starring Betty White and Rupert Everett, will be the first ones shown this coming season. They are being reworked to include the new co-stars, including former "Ed" actress Julie Bowen; the fifth will require more extensive reworking.
Old 07-27-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I'd actually love to see DEK do a show for F/X, HBO, or Showtime. Not because of commercial time, but to see what he would do without the constraints of FCC oversight.

I can't believe that they are reworking the episodes already done to include the new players. Not necessary.
Old 07-27-05, 08:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'd actually love to see DEK do a show for F/X, HBO, or Showtime. Not because of commercial time, but to see what he would do without the constraints of FCC oversight.
Agreed. Denis Leary has had great success with the move to cable and I'm sure others would as well.
Old 07-27-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Actually, what I find most interesting about that article is not DEK's complaining (he's always been a bit of a whiner), but that rather than just show the episodes that were in the can but unaired last year, they're being reworked. Odd choice, that.
Old 07-27-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Actually, what I find most interesting about that article is not DEK's complaining (he's always been a bit of a whiner), but that rather than just show the episodes that were in the can but unaired last year, they're being reworked. Odd choice, that.
Proabably cut down the cost of season 2, having to film 5 fewer episodes.
Old 07-27-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Proabably cut down the cost of season 2, having to film 5 fewer episodes.

No because they already announced that S2 would be 27 episodes (the 5 left from S1 and the 22 slated for S2).
Old 07-27-05, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm hoping tv will move into the 24 and video game style of having corporate sponsors place products in the shows themselves. I personally don't care that Keifer only drives Ford SUVs, but if it makes Ford happy and cuts down on commercials, I'm all for it.
Old 07-27-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by pdutta2000
I'm hoping tv will move into the 24 and video game style of having corporate sponsors place products in the shows themselves. I personally don't care that Keifer only drives Ford SUVs, but if it makes Ford happy and cuts down on commercials, I'm all for it.

I agree as long as they do not start
Bauer "Chloe send me that report to my Panasonic Fax machine via my Cingular Wireless conection in my Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition."
Old 07-27-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm
Bauer "Chloe send me that report to my Panasonic Fax machine via my Cingular Wireless conection in my Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition."
Ouch, painful flashback to the horrible Alias product placement episode with the Ford F150. I don't know which is worse the commericals every 5 minutes or product placements like that.
Old 07-27-05, 04:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm
I remember one of the later episodes from last season had a bit about Cisco security or something that was just about that bad.