TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The End of TV GUIDE?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The End of TV GUIDE?!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050726/...v_guide_revamp

Hey, a weekly magazine with entertainment stories instead of TV listings...wait a minute, I already get that...it's called ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY!

This sucks because I recently extended my subscription through 2008, and now I don't even know if I want it...guess I'm one of the few that doesn't use the internet or my cable channel (that ticker is just too damn slow) to see what's coming on. Plus with the subscription price going DOWN, looks like I may have paid a little more for my renewal than I should have...and I'm guessing they have no intention of extending anyone's subscription for those that have already paid.

I guarantee this will mark the end of TV Guide within 5 years...they may have been on their way out anyway, but this is the last nail in the coffin. ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY is just too good of a magazine for TV GUIDE to compete in that same market.
Old 07-26-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Since I use the cable menu for show schedules, I will be more likely to buy or subscribe to a revamped TV Guide. It does make me kind of sad though, it's the end of a long run. Way back when, I used to collect TV Guides. My first issue was Sept 6-12 1980 with Richard Chamberlain as Shogun on the cover. I wish I still had them, especially now that it will soon be different.
Old 07-26-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm actually very happy with this news. I renewed a few months ago with a 5 year sub on ebay for about $30. I never use the listings anymore (TiVo!) and just read the articles, so this is a big bonus. I also get Entertainment Weekly. The articles never seem to overlap that much, I'm not too concerned. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who aren't happy though, mostly in the older ages.
Old 07-26-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hardly use my tvguide except for when new seasons start they have a page dedicated to season start (and endings) ..other than that I just read the first 20 pages with the "tv news" and it sits until the next week...
Old 07-26-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I read the entertainment section at the beginning and toss it. The internet and built in guides are where it is at. A revamp is a good idea.
Old 07-26-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Wow. I predict that my parents will end the subscription they've had for over 30 years.
Old 07-26-05, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Way back when, I used to collect TV Guides.
Mr. Costanza, is that you???

RICKY: I like the special Fall preview issues the best.

FRANK COSTANZA: Those. I've been saving those from the beginning.

RICKY: These are worth, like, a lot of money.

I miss the "Classic Movies - Have You Seen These Great Films?" section in "the Guide" - found some little known hidden gems on TCM, AMC, etc. because of it.
Old 07-26-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not surprised this is happening, considering that people nowadays use the Internet to find TV listings, not to mention the fact that digital cable boxes and DirecTV/Dish Network receiver boxes have built-in program guides anyway.

This is where I find www.zap2it.com very useful, to say the least. Also, the portal page MyWay.com from Ask Jeeves, Inc. also has an excellent TV program listing service; it allows you to find listings up to two weeks in advance and even does searches based on title names for a specific show and the times they are being shown.
Old 07-26-05, 09:35 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree this may be the end. Pesonally I'd be more likely to subscribe now if the price was right, but I hardly know any people my age or younger that get the magazine. I really don't know if the changes would be enough to pull them in. On the flipside I'd imagine most of their existing subscribers are longtimers like my parents. My mom was already pissed that they narrowed the tv listings last year. I'm sure this will be the final straw.

I understand them wanting to become relevant again, and their need to reach a longer audience. But I just see this change as being so initially hated (along the lines of New Coke) by their existing core audience that they'll never fully recover from it. For many people, TV Guide without listings (because frankly, National only listings in Eastern time are completely worthless to anyone in our area) defeats the point. Will Cheers & Jeers be enough to keep them?
Old 07-26-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts
TV Guide has been fucking worthless as an actual TV Guide for quite a while now.

Have you ever noticed how thin it's gotten? They only have listings for primetime programming now. Nothing for late night, and just a general grid to cover daytime.
Old 07-26-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
You all can blame me for this. I did a market study for them about what was good/bad about their magazine.
Old 07-26-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Wow. I predict that my parents will end the subscription they've had for over 30 years.
Same here. Visiting the folks and seeing a stack of 4-5 TV Guides on the end table (and bathroom!) will soon be a thing of the past.
Old 07-26-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I might actually subscribe to the new version. I used to get TV Guide and I loved the articles but the listings were worthless to me.

I'd love to have a magazine geared solely to TV. I love EW but their TV section is far too small for me.
Old 07-26-05, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Way back when, I used to collect TV Guides.
Insert obligatory Frank Costanza reference here. (Edit: davejt1 beat me by three hours. Never mind!)

I finally let my subscription to TV Guide lapse after literally years of getting it but not reading it. Thanks to TiVo, the grid listings are superfluous. The articles can be entertaining, I guess, but I can get all of the info from the net, so I don't really need them.
Old 07-26-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by pilot
I hardly use my tvguide except for when new seasons start they have a page dedicated to season start (and endings) ..other than that I just read the first 20 pages with the "tv news" and it sits until the next week...
Same thing for me too.
Old 07-26-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't buy it on a regular basis anymore either. I don't look at the listing anymore but enjoy some of the articles so maybe the revamp is a good idea.
Now, the Fall Preview I still like and will still buy.
Old 07-26-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pilot
Yup, same here. I even forget I have it sometimes and will quickly check out a two week old issue for the Cheers & Jeers section before chucking it.

Anyway my current free sub is good until Dec.
Old 07-26-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are telling advertisers the circulation will decrease by about two-thirds. How can this be a good business decision?
Old 07-26-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been expecting this for a while. Really inevitible. With the advent of onscreen program listings reaching the mainstream crowd, I am amazed the original Guide has lasted as long as it has. RIP Tv Guide.
Old 07-26-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
My mother already ditched her subscription after about the same amount of time. They basically made it unusable over the last 2 years. She uses GuidePlus, but still liked to use TV Guide for planning for the week.
Old 07-26-05, 03:04 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'm actually surprised they don't continue the "guide portion" as a separate publication. They could leave out all the colorful articles, etc. and simply have a full listing on the non glossy paper like they used to, to keep the people who actually wanted the print guide. They would have to return to the "fuller details" way they used to, of course. The market for print guides is dying, sure, but it's still there.

Splitting the magazine into "articles only" and "guide only" would seemingly hit both niches. It would decrease the amount of markey share they would lose. I know my mom, for one, would gladly keep paying the existing subscriber fee for the magazine if it retuned to the fuller listings, even without the articles and color pages.
Old 07-26-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That article mentioned that it was really expensive for them to produce so many different local editions.

They could save a ton of money by only having a national edition even with fewer subscribers.
Old 07-26-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm actually surprised they don't continue the "guide portion" as a separate publication. They could leave out all the colorful articles, etc. and simply have a full listing on the non glossy paper like they used to, to keep the people who actually wanted the print guide. They would have to return to the "fuller details" way they used to, of course. The market for print guides is dying, sure, but it's still there.

Splitting the magazine into "articles only" and "guide only" would seemingly hit both niches. It would decrease the amount of markey share they would lose. I know my mom, for one, would gladly keep paying the existing subscriber fee for the magazine if it retuned to the fuller listings, even without the articles and color pages.
Doesn't a TV listings book come with your Sunday paper?

Why would anyone pay for something they get for free (if they get the paper)?
Old 07-26-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TV Guide has gone under too many changes in a short time. I've always been a subscriber for the most part. The proliferation of cable channels makes the grid difficult to print though.
Old 07-26-05, 03:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Doesn't a TV listings book come with your Sunday paper?

Why would anyone pay for something they get for free (if they get the paper)?
Our paper has grids for daytime, and no descriptions for any shows, just listings. It used to be that people could go to TV guide for more detailed descriptions of the shows, whether it's a rerun or not, who stars in movies, etc. Some newspaper listings may have that, but not all. Since their most recent overhaul most of this is gone and now they are pretty much as useful as our local paper, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.