Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Monk 07/22/05 - Mr. Monk Stays In Bed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Monk 07/22/05 - Mr. Monk Stays In Bed

This was a decent episode, but the problem that I have with the last two episodes is that someone in Monk's circle was directly involved in the case (last week his brother, this week Natalie). I think that they use this plot device much too often.

Also, there was no doubt that the case that Natalie was working on would merge with the case of the missing judge.

Still, I enjoyed it.
Old 07-24-05, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was alright, but it seemed that Monk solved the case a little too fast. I think they should have stretched out the actual detective work and maybed dropped the lawyer's attack on Natalie. The last ~15 minutes seemed especially weak (more like filler) because the tension wasn't convincing. Monk's a great light hearted show, but I don't think anyone could be convinced that the writers would harm or kill off a character as essential as Natalie just 3 episodes into a new season.

Also, how did she know how to operate that forklift?
Old 07-24-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We enjoyed the show, it was a Natalie showcase. The music card was very funny when he was trying to hide it.
Old 07-24-05, 11:55 AM

Well, at least there were no guest stars, but there were a couple of aspects of this episode I didn't like. I'd thought the writers had learned from last year's misfires that putting Monk in extreme situations (and, for Monk, the flu is an extreme situation) or taking characters out of character does not enhance their humor and can actually make them seem false and cartoonish. Stottlemeyer's shtick with the suspect's tie reminded me of his interrogation of the chimp in last season's panic room episode. He's funny enough just being himself and not some bumbling buffoon. If that sort of thing is absolutely necessary, then that's Disher's job.

Spoiler:
This is just nitpicking, but it also bothered me that the whole thing ended up hinging on the greeting card since, as far as I know, those things do not keep playing music when they're closed. Also, as a lawyer, I'm sure the killer never would have confessed on such flimsy evidence. He could have said, for instance, that his fingerprints were on the pizza box because the victim had given him that pizza by mistake at first and then later delivered it to Natalie. Of course, he still would have had difficulty explaining his abduction of Natalie...

All that aside, though, I still liked this episode. Monk going to such heroic lengths (for him) to save Natalie put a nice warm finish on an otherwise flawed and sloppily written story.
Old 07-24-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Guest
Spoiler:
This is just nitpicking, but it also bothered me that the whole thing ended up hinging on the greeting card since, as far as I know, those things do not keep playing music when they're closed.

That's not really a nitpick, but a gaping plot hole as far as I'm concerned. Those musical greeting cards do not play when closed, so the whole shtick about Monk trying to hide or silence the card, ending with him recycling it, doesn't make any sense at all.
Old 07-24-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. But in one scene when Monk closed the card, it continued to play, so I took it that the card was broken.
Old 07-25-05, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have we ever seen Monk get quite as physical as when he tackled and wrestled the killer? Especially in a "garbage dump"
Old 07-25-05, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Have we ever seen Monk get quite as physical as when he tackled and wrestled the killer? Especially in a "garbage dump"
Well, he was feverish. We have seen him in acts of bravery though, like going down the sewer in the pilot episode or climbing a ferris wheel to rescue Sharona.
Old 07-25-05, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Well, he was feverish. We have seen him in acts of bravery though, like going down the sewer in the pilot episode or climbing a ferris wheel to rescue Sharona.
...and there was that "jig" he danced in "Mr. Monk Gets Fired". I'm sure that was very physically demanding for him.
Old 07-25-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
It seems the episodes are concentrating less on the detective aspect and more on the character aspect, which I do not like. It's like the crime is an afterthought these days.