Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

The One And Only HDDVD vs. Blu-Ray Thread

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see anything on the first page, and it seems like the time is getting close to where we ought to have a sticky on this subject.

Brief outline of the two

General Specifcations - Blu-ray:

Storage Capacity - Pre-recorded Playback Material (BD-ROM): Single-layer (25GB) - Dual-layer (50GB)

Storage Capacity: Home Recording (BD-R/BD-RE): Single-layer (25GB) - Dual-layer (50GB)

Data Transfer Rate: 36 MBPS (Megabits per Second) - This exceeds the 24 MBPS transfer rate used by HDTV broadcasts.

Disc Properties: New format requiring retooling and/or construction of new disc manufacturing and replication plants.

Video Specifications: Compatible with full MPEG2 Encoding, as well as MPEG4.

Audio Specifications: Incorporation of both Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD.

General Specifications - HD-DVD

Storage Capacity - Pre-recorded playback material (HD-DVD-ROM): Single-layer (15GB) - Dual-layer (30GB)

Storage Capacity - Home Recording (HD-DVD-R/HD-DVD-Rewritable): Single-layer (20GB) - Dual-Sided Disc (40GB) - Dual Layer (35GB - proposed).

Data Transfer Rate: 36 MBPS (Megabits per Second) - This exceeds the 24 MBPS transfer rate used by HDTV broadcasts.

Disc Properties: Format similar to existing DVD disc structure, requiring minimal upgrading and retooling of existing DVD disc manufacturing and replication plants.

Video Specifications: Compatible with MPEG2 and MPEG4 Encoding.

Audio Specifications: Incorporation of both Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD.
The way I see it the Blu-Ray is superior. However, the Betamax was also superior to the VHS....and lost. Sony does a lot of silly proprietary type things that don't seem to make sense (memory stick, mini disc, etc.), so one could see this as the continuing of this.

Anyway, I don't really have a preference, other than we end up with just one format to use. And it seemed time to post a sticky (with mod help) so that we can watch this unfold.

Last edited by kvrdave; 07-22-05 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-22-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.hddvd.org/hddvd/
Old 07-22-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it superior? Because of the higher capacity?

To be honest, I am unimpressed with either. Why? It is still an unprotected optical disc. It would be nice to see something that is similar in structure to a floppy/mini-disc where it is protected from abuse ALL the time.
Old 07-22-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neither will be 1080p from the start will they (either software or hardware)?
Old 07-22-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jasonr114
Why is it superior? Because of the higher capacity?

To be honest, I am unimpressed with either. Why? It is still an unprotected optical disc. It would be nice to see something that is similar in structure to a floppy/mini-disc where it is protected from abuse ALL the time.
Yeah, because of the higher capacity. I don't worry too much about protection. I can't think of any DVD I have that doesn't play because of abuse. Just isn't that big of a deal to me, I guess.
Old 07-23-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now theres a 3rd contender, with 1 terabyte of storage capacity.

http://forevergeek.com/news/toshiba_...technology.php

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4982
Old 07-23-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow, that is pretty cool. If Sony truly believes that size is the most important thing, they will step aside. I won't wait for that.

Too bad HVD will probably get to the party too late to do anything in terms of the entertainment market. Personally, it seems like the "next gen" is being pushed too fast so that they can get it out by Christmas this year, while I don't think there will be enough demand for awhile. Especially with two formats...it will stagnate for quite some time. I look forward to HD discs, but I'm not dissatisfied with dvds, and I won't buy something in a format war just for the hell of it.
Old 07-23-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I read somewhere that the surface would be considerably thinner than HD-DVD. If so, that would be a negative in my book.
Old 07-23-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cajun_junky
I thought I read somewhere that the surface would be considerably thinner than HD-DVD. If so, that would be a negative in my book.

It is a lot thinner, and that is both a plus and a weekness. Because it is thinner, the laser can focus much tighter, and thus get more stuff on the disc, but it also makes it more likely to get screwed up with a scratch.
Old 07-24-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thats one of the reasons many of the content providers (Movie studios, etc) are backing HD-DVD. Not only are they cheaper to produce, but current DVD production facilities can be modified to produce HD-DVDs. While Blue Ray will require entirely new production facilities altogether.
Old 07-24-05, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
My vote goes for the opposite of whatever Sony supports. HD-DVD it is!
Old 07-24-05, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kvrdave
It is a lot thinner, and that is both a plus and a weekness. Because it is thinner, the laser can focus much tighter, and thus get more stuff on the disc, but it also makes it more likely to get screwed up with a scratch.
You forget that Blu-Ray will have a layer of protection applied to it that HD-DVD won't. TDK designed the product, and it is resistant to scratches from very rough surfaces - even steel wool. So HD-DVD would actually be much easier to scratch then Blu-Ray
Old 07-24-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by joshd2012
You forget that Blu-Ray will have a layer of protection applied to it that HD-DVD won't. TDK designed the product, and it is resistant to scratches from very rough surfaces - even steel wool. So HD-DVD would actually be much easier to scratch then Blu-Ray
I've heard that, and don't know how much I believe it. The advantage of the Blu-Ray is the .01 mm laser focus point compared to the .06 mm focus point of the HD-DVD (I think I remember those correctly), which allows for more information stored. But to focus that well, it needs a thinner medium to travel through. So the laser is pretty tight. It seems like any scratches would make it more likely to "skip: as a result. Now if they are saying that the surface simply will not scratch, then I would have to see that for myself before I believed it.

But also, I have never really had an issue with scratches anyway. I expect that we will have a format war in a rush to get out this Christmas, and if the Blu-Ray does scratch and skip, everyone will know it relatively quickly and the war would be over. So that may be a moot point.

I honestly see no way in which we won't have a format war now. But that saves me money until a winner is chosen.
Old 07-24-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sony's PDD Blue Laser Disks use cartridges to protect them. Its possible that they will also use cartridges for Blue Ray DVDs.

Last edited by Thrush; 07-25-05 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-25-05, 12:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
i hope both of these formats bomb
Old 07-25-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Thrush

Sony's PDD Blue Laser Disks use cartridges to protect them. Its possible that they will also use cartridges for Blue Ray DVDs.

I have thought of that as well, but wonder what that would do for costs. Certainly it wouldn't go down. But just from the rumors, I could see how Sony might need this type of thing if there is any truth to the idea that they are more likely to be screwed up by minor scratches.

JZ1276 - 'splain why.
Old 07-25-05, 02:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
because kvrdave, even though ill deny it now, I know I will end up repurchasing everything I currently own on DVD on BR/HD DVD...and it is going to be a pain in the ass
Old 07-25-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk God

I have worried and wondered about that as well. Even to the point of wondering if I should sell my stuff now while I can get something out of them. I honestly don't know what the answer is there. Nor do I know how long it will take them to take things like ST:TNG and put the money into them to make them HDTV and significantly better than what I have now.

The one thing I really wonder about is if the HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray) is going to be significantly better in the eyes of Joe Consumer. I have no complaints about the quality of my dvds. The picture is great, and I watch on a 100" screen. For most poeple watching on significantly smaller screens, the difference will be even less. I don't know that there will be the same demand going from DVD to HD discs as there was from VHS to DVD. It may end up being about like CD to SACD. Most poeple just haven't seen it justified.
Old 07-25-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave

The one thing I really wonder about is if the HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray) is going to be significantly better in the eyes of Joe Consumer. I have no complaints about the quality of my dvds. The picture is great, and I watch on a 100" screen. For most poeple watching on significantly smaller screens, the difference will be even less. I don't know that there will be the same demand going from DVD to HD discs as there was from VHS to DVD. It may end up being about like CD to SACD. Most poeple just haven't seen it justified.
This is a good point and something I have thought about. I just don't see Joe consumer adopting this quickly and without the masses this will take awhile to become mainstream. I know alot of people (friends and family) that will not shell out large amounts of $$ for a HDTV or the equipment to play HD/BR dvds.
Old 07-25-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
The problem with blue-ray and HD-DVD is that right now only a select group of people have HDTV capabilities. Joe Sixpack that doesn't, won't care about a DVD that looks better than a normal DVD when he doesn't even have a set that will display it. Once HDTV permeates the market places as the common sale, not the higher end sale, we'll see steam pick up on whatever format comes around.

As for the repurchasing of regular DVDs, I don't think that'll be a big deal. It's been talk that most of the HD-DVD players will upconvert the existing DVDs to 1080i, so they should look almost as good.
Old 07-25-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

It does make me think that this rush to get out by Christmas is a very bad idea. Obviously they are doing it to get a medium accepted so they can profit from its sales for years to come, and because DVD sales havereached market saturation.

Just like most people don't buy $1,000 speakers even though the sound is much better, I don't think they will all dive into a new format that is just a little better. This won't be a huge leap in quality of product to most people.
Old 07-25-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Buying DVDs all over again:

I don't think this will be as much of a problem as some think. A lot of catalog titles arent going to look any (or at least much) better than their current release. I don't see the studios rushing to remaster catalog titles in HD that they barely mastered in the first place for DVD. Until the format takes off, I think we'll mostly see new releases and some 'premium' title releases like how there are Superbit versions, and of course the titles that are already available on D-VHS.

As for who's going to win the format war, you can look at specs all day and make a guess, but in the end I think it's going to be whoever implements it in a way that has the least impact on the consumer. I'm talking about things like: lowest cost, players being backwards compatible to regular DVDs, etc. Sort of like how a few years ago you had to go out and actually look for a progressive scan player. Now, most players are PS and it's hard to find one that's not.
Old 07-25-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with renaldow. Also, ST:TNG and other SDTV should never be released on any HD disc. There's no point. Certainly don't bother doubledipping on them.
Old 07-25-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
I agree with renaldow. Also, ST:TNG and other SDTV should never be released on any HD disc. There's no point. Certainly don't bother doubledipping on them.
I hope they are so the DVD versions drop in price.
Old 07-25-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by renaldow
A lot of catalog titles arent going to look any (or at least much) better than their current release.
If you watch older movies on channels like HDNet Movies, the difference really can be remarkable. I was watching a few minutes of Mad Max and thought "hmmm...this isn't really any better than the DVD". I decided to do an A/B comparison and quickly realized how wrong I was. Also, bear in mind that it's been standard practice to master everything in HD for a good long while. Even smaller shops like Synapse have been doing this.

I do agree that repurchasing isn't going to be a big deal, at least not for a while.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.