Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Heading to Tokyo in 3 weeks any recommendations?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Hi Everyone
I will be heading to Tokyo in about 3 1/2 weeks for a nice little vacation. I own a region free DVD player and was wondering if there are any Japanese Region 2 DVD's that you would recommend? I'm also interested in any American films that have cool special edition treatment. I know "For a few dollars more" has a cool Japanese special edition.

Also, do the Japanese DVD's normally have english subtitles? I went to Tokyo about 3 years ago and didn't buy any DVD's because I could not read the back of any DVD cases.

Thanks for any input
Old 07-21-05, 12:13 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would recommend Kill Bill vol 1. The Japanese DVD has excellent picture and sound and the blue leafs scene is in color instead of black and white. Off the top of my head they also have an anamorphic version of True Lies.
As far as Japanese movies with English subtitles I would recommend the following
Ping-Pong, Laundry, Swing Girls, Drugstore Girl.
There is a kanji character which indicated English subtitles. Look at the DVDs mentioned above and compare the boxes. On the back of the DVD under the subtitles symbol if u use your imagination the first charachter kind of looks like a guy doing the splits and the second is three boxes. Really wish I could post this...Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't recommend "FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE" since it is missing the audio commentary.

英語字幕 = English Subtitles

日本語字幕 = Japanese Subtitles

Last edited by manicsounds; 07-21-05 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-21-05, 12:39 AM
Cool New Member

Great manicsounds found the charachters. As long as you see those you are good to go as far as English subtitles go. Just be aware DVDs in Japan are expenisve and you will most likely have to pay the MSRP so choose carefully
Old 07-21-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Originally Posted by manicsounds
英語字幕 = English Subtitles

If you are going to learn any kanji, learn these ones. Unfortunately, you'll find that the majority of non-English language films do not include English subs. If you are just looking for superior versions of English language films though, no problem.

Yeah, you most likely will be paying the expensive MSRP, unless you go to chains like Yodobashi Camera (where you can save up to 20% or so). I'd also recommend taking the Yamanote-line train up to Akihabara. Tons of cool DVD and electronics stores there.
Old 07-21-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am sure the store staff will help you to check if the movie got English subs or not.DVD's are still expensive in Japan. But the quality is very good.Shinjuku and Akihabara have a lot of DVD stores.Move around before you buy as there are a lot of stores with some competing prices