Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

JBL subwoofers...looking for a new SUB.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

JBL subwoofers...looking for a new SUB.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JBL subwoofers...HELP me get a new SUB (any brand)

I currently have an older JBL subwoofer (it came with a HTiB) and I have my speakers running though that then into my receiver. I have a Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver, so I really could just run my speakers directly to it.

Anyways, I'm looking to upgrade my sub. All my speakers are JBL (I upgraded all the fronts from the HTiB)

Onecall.com has the JBL E150P for $200 and JBL E250P for $260

Now, what are the best ways to hook up speakers/subs? Should I just hook everything direct through the receiver? I'm not really complaining about how things sound right now...it's actually pretty good, but I always like better and proper ways to do things.

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 07-21-05 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-20-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Run everything through your receiver.
Old 07-20-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I currently have an older JBL subwoofer (it came with a HTiB) and I have my speakers running though that then into my receiver. I have a Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver, so I really could just run my speakers directly to it.

Anyways, I'm looking to upgrade my sub. All my speakers are JBL (I upgraded all the fronts from the HTiB)

Onecall.com has the JBL E150P for $200 and JBL E250P for $260

Now, what are the best ways to hook up speakers/subs? Should I just hook everything direct through the receiver? I'm not really complaining about how things sound right now...it's actually pretty good, but I always like better and proper ways to do things.
I absolutely love my 250p. It really pounds, and is perfect for movies. It just works seamlessly into my system, and let me tell you, is very powerful.

As BA said, you really want to run through the receiver so everything is decoded properly.
Old 07-20-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Run it all through your receiver.
Old 07-20-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unforunately I can't recommend a JBL sub. I had one that died. Come to find out JBL no longer made the part so I couldn't get it repaired. It had been a known problem within JBL about those subs.
Old 07-20-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by waporvare
Unforunately I can't recommend a JBL sub. I had one that died. Come to find out JBL no longer made the part so I couldn't get it repaired. It had been a known problem within JBL about those subs.
Well, it isn't a known problem with ALL JBL subs, and without a model number, this common is overbroad and without alot of merit.

JBL makes great subs. Not all of us are ready to put in the investment for an HSU or SVS 12" yet, and the JBL is on that second level of quality subs with Velodyne. Great boom for the buck.
Old 07-21-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was reading on POLK's website...and they said to run wires through the subwoofer for BETTER sound....now, which is it?

Also, can aynone recommend another sub?

Anyone try the KLH sub at Best Buy? It has a clear plexi-glass panel with blue light on the inside. The coolness factor is up there, but quality may be lacking...just curious

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 07-21-05 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-21-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was reading on POLK's website...and they said to run wires through the subwoofer for BETTER sound....now, which is it?

Also, can aynone recommend another sub?

Anyone try the KLH sub at Best Buy? It has a clear plexi-glass panel with blue light on the inside. The coolness factor is up there, but quality may be lacking...just curious
That info on the Polk website is a big YMMV. You can try it both ways and see what works for you. This isn't meant to sound like a smartass comment, but since you've got JBL speakers, you may want to see what the JBL website says. (probably something similar.)

If I was just putting together a traditional home stereo (CD player, receiver, turntable etc.) and I just had 2 speakers and a sub, I might run them through the sub. For a home theater, I wouldn't.

I'd also stay away from any KLH product. They're bottom of the barrel.
Old 07-21-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What model and series was it? Your post is useless without that information.
Old 07-21-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I got the E150 through an Amazon reseller for about $190 and it's pretty awesome. I run it to my sub with a "subwoofer" cable and it works great. No complaints here!
Old 07-21-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I may look into the JBL E250. J&R has it for $250 shipped. Or I can get the 150 for $200. Not sure how big I really need. I guess I have to check my funds also. Plus, I would have to rewire my system...or I guess I could just tie my wires together that are currently running through the sub....I shouldn't lose any quality if I do the old black eletrical tape trick?

Thanks
Old 07-21-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any splice should be done properly when you have to lengthen wires. Simply twisting them and putting tape over should be for temporary use only. It's easy enough to do a crimp splice for almost zero dollars, might as well do it. You can pick up a crimp tool if you don't have one for under $10 most likely, and the splice connectors are pennies a piece. If you want to go one step better, use heat shrink instead of tape. It'll look nicer, protect better and never fall off like tape.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
Old 07-21-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I may look into the JBL E250. J&R has it for $250 shipped. Or I can get the 150 for $200. Not sure how big I really need. I guess I have to check my funds also. Plus, I would have to rewire my system...or I guess I could just tie my wires together that are currently running through the sub....I shouldn't lose any quality if I do the old black eletrical tape trick?

Thanks
I tell you, I extensively A/Bed the 150 and 250 against each other in store. The 150 just didn't have the oomph of the 250p. It didn't sound as accurate nor as tight. There's a much bigger difference between 10" and 12" than people think. For $50, it's a no-brainer.
Old 07-21-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by renaldow
What model and series was it? Your post is useless without that information.
Yeah, I know. They no longer make it. I wasn't saying it was all shit, but based on this one instance I said I couldn't recommend them. Others may have been more forunate with JBL.

I moved on to Paradigm.
Old 07-22-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I know. They no longer make it. I wasn't saying it was all shit, but based on this one instance I said I couldn't recommend them. Others may have been more forunate with JBL.

I moved on to Paradigm.
That's too bad. The current JBL Northridge series of speakers are exceptional, IMHO. I know what you mean though, once bitten and all that.
Old 07-22-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Any splice should be done properly when you have to lengthen wires. Simply twisting them and putting tape over should be for temporary use only. It's easy enough to do a crimp splice for almost zero dollars, might as well do it. You can pick up a crimp tool if you don't have one for under $10 most likely, and the splice connectors are pennies a piece. If you want to go one step better, use heat shrink instead of tape. It'll look nicer, protect better and never fall off like tape.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Really? I have my rears spliced and just have the wires wrapped together. So I need to crimp them and connect them, huh? Sorry, haven't had much wiring experience, so it's all news to me.
Old 07-22-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be better electrically (which can affect sound), aesthetically, and more permanent. You don't HAVE to do anything, but....
Old 07-22-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm debating if I still really want to upgrade my sub. I hate re-wiring crap and trying to move things around. I may just wait until my next house. I guess my current sub is decent....unless a GREAT deal come up on a good sub
Old 07-22-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I don't remember the model number, but it was a 15" sub that I got about 5 years ago. Most of the sub still worked, but the part I needed was no longer produced. A shame since I liked the sub and it fit perfectly in the room. Oh well.
Old 07-22-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm debating if I still really want to upgrade my sub. I hate re-wiring crap and trying to move things around. I may just wait until my next house. I guess my current sub is decent....unless a GREAT deal come up on a good sub
What the heck are you talking about? Take sub out of box. Plug into Subwoofer out from receiver. Done.

Not so hard my friend
Old 07-22-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
What the heck are you talking about? Take sub out of box. Plug into Subwoofer out from receiver. Done.

Not so hard my friend
I currently have my speakers running through my old sub. Thus, re-wire those direct to receiver, then plug sub in. I know, it's not tough, but it's still a hassle the way my receiver sits on my stand.
Old 07-22-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I currently have my speakers running through my old sub. Thus, re-wire those direct to receiver, then plug sub in. I know, it's not tough, but it's still a hassle the way my receiver sits on my stand.
I see. Well bro, to me, it's worth it for primo sound.
Old 07-23-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, if it's going to be an upgrade in sound, I don't see how 10 minutes of your time is a bad investment. However...

DJLongfellow, you never told us what models of JBL speakers you were using. Out of curiosity, what models of JBL speakers are you using? You upgraded them from the HTIB, right? Or was it just the front ones?

If you bought the 8" or 10" floorstanding Northridge series speakers they're probably pushing more bass than the sub that came with the HTIB.
Old 07-24-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe the two fronts are N24 and I have an S-Center II (I believe). I'm using the three small cube speakers for my rear surrounds.

The sub actually is doing a decent job right now....no real complaints from me. I just always want bigger and better....the typical guy thing
Old 07-24-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe the two fronts are N24 and I have an S-Center II (I believe). I'm using the three small cube speakers for my rear surrounds.

The sub actually is doing a decent job right now....no real complaints from me. I just always want bigger and better....the typical guy thing
You really won't believe how much a real sub makes your whole system sound better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.