TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ESPN May Resurrect 'Contender'

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ESPN May Resurrect 'Contender'

Link

(Tuesday, July 19 12:40 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Despite fantastic boxing action, ratings for NBC's "The Contender" couldn't get off the mat this spring. While NBC declined to schedule a second "Contender" season, cable sports giant ESPN is reportedly circling the franchise.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, ESPN is close to acquiring the rights to "The Contender," though its unclear what form the second season would take or which of the show's high profile on-camera talents -- including Sylvester Stallone and Sugar Ray Leonard -- would make the jump to cable.

Will Staeger of ESPN Original Entertainment tells the trade paper that a second season of "The Contender" could be paired with a possible new drama. John Eisendrath of ESPN's "Playmakers," is working on one such potentially compatible pilot.

Repeatedly delayed and rescheduled by NBC, "The Contender" failed to develop a sizeable overall following, though the Mark Burnett/Jeffrey Katzenberg-produced series had a respectable attraction for young male viewers.

One of the first tests of the first season's cast will come on July 22 when Ahmed "Hollywood" Kaddour, loser of two "Contender" bouts, steps into the ring with Maxell Taylor, becoming the first of the show's alums to return to the world of officially sanctioned boxing. The series' big winners, Sergio Mora and Peter Manfredo, have mostly been on the promotional circuit since their live bout from Las Vegas.

Chris
Old 07-20-05, 04:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope this happens. It's a very well done show, and ESPN would be a great home for it. I don't even really care if they bring back Stallone and Leonard, if that will cut costs enought o put it in ESPN's price range. While they were enjoyable to see and added marquee value, they were really nothing more than window dressing and didn't add anything vital to the show. The real stars of the show are the boxers and their families.
Old 07-20-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I hope this happens. It's a very well done show, and ESPN would be a great home for it. I don't even really care if they bring back Stallone and Leonard, if that will cut costs enought o put it in ESPN's price range. While they were enjoyable to see and added marquee value, they were really nothing more than window dressing and didn't add anything vital to the show. The real stars of the show are the boxers and their families.
I hope they bring back Stallone and Leonard...I love the show as is.
Old 07-20-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Good news.
Old 07-20-05, 10:02 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they should bring in Dolph and Mr. T as the co-hosts
Old 07-20-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't forget Paulie!
Old 07-20-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the show. I wasn't convinced at Sugar Ray's ability to host those challenges. Some of the voiceover work was Trump-worthy.

My biggest fear is that it will be hosted by Stuart Scott.
Old 08-11-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ESPN Picks up the Contender for April 2006

'The Contender' to begin second season on ESPN
ESPN

"The Contender," the reality television series about professional boxers, will begin its second season in April 2006 on ESPN.

The network, Mark Burnett Productions, and DreamWorks Television made the announcement Thursday.

"The Contender" is an unscripted drama about the lives of 16 professional boxers as they compete for the chance to change their lives. The show will air as part of ESPN Original Entertainment (EOE) programming and be executive produced by "Survivor" creator Mark Burnett, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Sylvester Stallone. Casting and production on the series, which will air in primetime beginning April 2006, will begin immediately.

" 'The Contender' has all of the elements that make it the right fit for ESPN: compelling storylines, dynamic characters and suspense over the outcome," Mark Shapiro, ESPN executive vice president, programming and production, said. "This series speaks to our viewers' love for competition and their appreciation for triumph over adversity, and it goes without saying that the track record of Mark Burnett is exemplary -- a perfect match for the critical and ratings successes EOE has delivered in both scripted and unscripted drama."

Said Burnett: "Our vision from the onset was to improve the entertainment experience of televised boxing for the fans. What better platform to achieve that vision than on the network that pioneered sports television programming."

After being introduced to the contestants in the first episode, subsequent shows will see one or more boxers eliminated through ring competition. Viewers will see contestants training in the ring, living together in one house and witness their personal interactions, while learning the details of these men's lives and what led them to pursue their dreams.

ESPN has options to renew the series for two subsequent seasons.
Old 08-11-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Excellent. This is the most "real" of all reality TV. And on ESPN maybe they will be able to play up the sporting aspect of it even more. Good news.
Old 08-12-05, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fantastic. This and Hell's Kitchen are the only two 'reality' shows I like.

I am crossing my fingers that they won't edit the fights like NBC did.
Old 10-15-05, 04:10 PM
Retired

Just a reminder, the title rematch, and other fights (Anthony vs. Jesse, Miguel vs. Jonathon Reid, Alphonso vs. ??? (can't remember)) are on espn tonight starting at 11 EST.
Old 10-15-05, 10:07 PM

Ya...and it is 11EST and 8PST and the thrid quarter of the FSU game just ended. There is at least an hour till this live event. They just really are blowing everything.
Old 10-15-05, 10:21 PM
Retired

The question is are the holding all the matches until the game is over, or will we just miss some of the undercards.
Old 10-16-05, 12:12 AM

OMFG!

Jesse Brinkley won that fight?! I hated #1 Daddy, but that was a f'ing fix if I've ever seen one. Anthony won that fight hands down.
Old 10-16-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That was fucking highway robbery. Brinkley didn't win a single round.
Old 10-16-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That was pretty embarrassing. How does someone become a judge for boxing matches? Seems like there isn't a lot of consistency at the head-scratcher boxing matches that seem so one-sided, but the judge saw it totally different.
Old 10-16-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Manfredo robbed. What a horrible night of judging.
Old 10-16-05, 01:10 AM

What a job of the judges
Old 10-16-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What fight are these "judges" watching? Manfredo got the shaft tonight.
Old 10-16-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
What fight are these "judges" watching? Manfredo got the shaft tonight.
If these fights really meant anything, those judges would and should be sanctioned.
Old 10-16-05, 01:31 AM

Manfredo lost?! Listen, I loved "The Contender" and all, but this is shameful.

Ugh.
Old 10-16-05, 01:36 AM

It was great how the Friday Night Fight guys ripped into it and even Mark Burnett right after he appeared. The entire crowd is booing and Burnett is still trying to spin it, "This is real reality". Shameful sums up the night perfectly. Just incredible. Even Alfonso's fight shouldn't have been stopped so early.
Old 10-16-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I had clear favorites in these matches...I wanted to see Jesse and Sergio win. But they didn't, they lost those fights without question!!
Old 10-16-05, 10:30 AM
Retired

Bonsante really got screwed. Probably the worst judging I've ever seen. He won all 5 rounds.

Manfredo Jr. won the fight as well, but I wasn't really pissed with that decision as that was a fairly typical championship match decision. The challenger won't win a decision often unless he clearly dominates the champion. Peter won more rounds IMO, but there were 2 or 3 rounds I gave to him where neither fighter did much and could have went either way. And Sergio had more impressive flurries than Peter did which helps sway judges.

But maybe I'm seeing it with biased eyes as I never liked Peter much between his speech impediment and getting a second chance after Alphonzo kicked his ass. But then again I didn't like Sergio much either.
Old 10-16-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm not that upset over Sergio winning. Fights like that often split towards the champ. But the Bonsante ruling was hilariously terrible.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.