Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Can you relate to modern superheroes in film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If would like to voice your opinions on the new Batman and superheroes in general, please take my polls on Misterpoll.com as part of my university research.

http://www.misterpoll.com/406004646.html

http://www.misterpoll.com/429624219.html

Thanks!
Old 07-20-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I started answering a few and then realized I didn't agree with any of the answers so I quit. Here's my reasoning: I can't relate to Bruce Wayne/Batman. I'm not a billionaire. If I want to get myself lost in Asia somewhere some martial arts expert isn't going to save me and teach me the ways of the force. I can't relate to James Bond because I'm not British. I can almost sorta relate to Spider-Man because he's a poor college student. What aspects of Batman's character make him believable? Well let's see, young billionaire. Problem right there. Great physical shape and handsome. Problem #2. Spends ridiculous amounts of money on body armor not too mention fights crime dressed as a bat. I guess the playboy lifestyle would qualify as the most realistic aspect but that wasn't him remember.
Old 07-20-05, 03:28 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is one of those things, where someone says something (re: the thread title) and i just can't stop smiling... because its such a ridiculous question. no, i cannot relate to having magical powers or wearing tights.
Old 07-20-05, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been a while since I dressed up as a bat and fought crime. Ah, the good ol' days!
Old 07-20-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a superhero that has to postpone saving the world every now and then because he has to do yardwork or pick up milk? That, I could relate to.

I guess the Incredibles sort of touched on that in an honest way...and Spider-man does to some extent as well.
Old 07-20-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't know why people seem to think this is such a ridiculous question.

these superheroes do tend to have actual, non-extraoridnary emotions and conflicts. these may be related to as well.
Old 07-20-05, 10:17 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

the most relateable in recent memory are Spider-man and the Incredibles.

i cant relate to Batman for reasons stated by popcorn tree, he's rich and handsome although some might disagree on #2,

Superman: he's an alien, with the ability to do anything, and has only 1 fucking weakness!

Last edited by TCG; 07-20-05 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-20-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

only Blankman
Old 07-20-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Why so much hate for these polls?
If you can't relate to Batman or whoever then just pick D) I can't relate to this character at all.
Old 07-20-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Of course, the original appeal of Spiderman was that he was your everyday nerd who lucked into his powers, but found that his powers didn't make his life any better. He still got bullied in school, he had to get a job to make ends meet, etc. He related to teenagers much better than the DC heroes of the time, even if he STILL wore his underwear outside of his pants to fight crime. Then he grew up and got married, and teens couldn't relate to him anymore, so they revamped him and created the Ultimate universe.

Back to the original question, I doubt many of us could relate even to many non-superhero action stars. You mention in the poll people like Neo or James Bond, but I can't even relate to someone like Bruce Willis's character in Die Hard, who had no superpowers or gadgets. Of course, an action movie starring someone like me wouldn't be too exciting...
Old 07-20-05, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
this is one of those things, where someone says something (re: the thread title) and i just can't stop smiling... because its such a ridiculous question. no, i cannot relate to having magical powers or wearing tights.
i can't relate to having magical powers either
Old 07-21-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytrip
i can't relate to having magical powers either
freakin' muggles