Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just Bought A New Surround Reciever Sony STRDA3000ES

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-18-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Onecall.com for $499.88 including free three day fedex shipping.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDispla...=10&PMNID=1181

i've had this unit on my wishlist for a while and it finally fell within my pricepoint from a reputable seller. up till now i've been watching my collection using the tv speakers or the bedroom stereo setup. next up is the speakers. i'm seriously looking at the axiom surround speakers with the package that goes for between 2000 and 2700. anybody on here have any experience with this reciever or speaker feel free to chime in. i hope to have my home theatre finished by the end of the summer and i can't wait to see (hear) what i've been missing. i even have held out opening several really good movies (all lotr ee's and my matrix ultimate boxset) as a reward and celebration when i finally finish this thing. i'm just really happy and wanted to share this with dvdtalk users who understand my obsession. i may never leave the house again!

Old 07-18-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Make sure you get a sub that is up to snuff. If that's your budget you should be able to get one, no problem. The impact of a good sub for movies cannot be overstated. Axiom subs aren't bad, but for the same price Hsu Research or SVS will beat them.
Old 07-19-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 1000ES receiver and I really enjoy that.....I still need to upgrade my SUB, but the current one is decent.
Old 07-19-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 405 Likes on 350 Posts
Agree with Spiky (not that I would ever go against Spiky), for a long time I had no sub in my HT system. I came from old school of 2 channel audio that holds the belief that sub's create more problems then they solve. However, this is not true for HT. Once I hooked up my 1st sub even tho it was a cheap one (refurbished Onkyo for like $50), I realized you pretty much MUST have a sub in a HT system.
Old 07-19-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sd...T-ball was going to order that, and the dude at Onecall said they're getting a ton of defective units on that specific receiver - YMMV, but just a heads up.
Old 07-20-05, 09:21 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
I got this and fired it up Monday Night.

No issues so far. tball's talking out his ass.

Hi tball
Old 07-20-05, 05:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I've got the STR-DE995 and it works great. I'm suprised sony receivers aren't used as much as they should.
Old 07-21-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I got this and fired it up Monday Night.

No issues so far. tball's talking out his ass.

Hi tball
This is supposed to be a sweet digital receiver, but I haven't heard it for myself. However, I do remember reading about quality issues with the 3000ES model specifically. Hopefully you got one of the units that were'nt part of the bad batch.
Old 07-21-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well i missed the frickin' fed ex guy today. hopefully his ass will get here before i have to leave for work. i hate the fact that my reciever is doing all this extra traveling. i hope they are being gentle with it not kicking it around like jim carrey in ace ventura
Old 07-22-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dollfins1
well i missed the frickin' fed ex guy today. hopefully his ass will get here before i have to leave for work. i hate the fact that my reciever is doing all this extra traveling. i hope they are being gentle with it not kicking it around like jim carrey in ace ventura
Find out where it is online, call them, and pick it up at their office. They usually will get them back there by 5-6pm if you ask. Then you have an hour or so window before the place closes to pick it up. That's what I did when someone put down the wrong address for a part shipped to me, so nobody was there to receive it. I was watching it on the web, as soon as it said attempted, I called and said can I pick it up somewhere. Got it at 6:30pm on a Friday. Didn't want to go the weekend without it.
Old 07-22-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i got lucky. i got a nice mom who waited for for the fedex guy for about an hour after i went to work cause she knew how important it was to me. never fails those bastards show up right after i left for work. i even left them a note yesterday asking if they could come earlier. at least my ups guy comes early so i can plan around him. fedex must have come back later to deliver a box of pc parts that i ordered from frozenpc thankfully i think my neighbors signed for it cause it was sitting on my hallway steps. tonight i rebuild the pc, tomorrow after the beach i figure out how to test the new sony with my 2 speakers lol ill let ya'll know how it goes.
Old 01-12-06, 02:02 PM

I have this receiver too. Have you had any problems with the Dolby EX decoding with the Surround Back set to Auto? I have some DVDs, SW III for example, that are supposed to be recorded in EX, but only play back in regular 5.1.
Old 01-12-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mondaycurse
I've got the STR-DE995 and it works great. I'm suprised sony receivers aren't used as much as they should.
You're joking, right?