Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies That Everyone Seems to Like... Except Me (and Explain Why)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-17-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

This thread is for movies that are generally very well liked, but that you don't like (and why you don't like them).

And just so no one posts a movie that no one really likes, try to limit movies to ones that either have a Fresh Rating (60% or higher) at RottenTomatoes.com or a 7.0 (or higher) rating at IMDB.com. (For example, regardless of how much $$$ it made, few people actually like Armageddon - it has low ratings at both site - so don't post it).

(Also, so that this thread doesn't end up just being a laundry list of movie titles, please explain why you don't like a particular movie. I'd rather see someone post just a single movie title and an explanation, then see a list of movie titles without any explanations at all.)

[P.S. Also consider movies either nominated for the Oscar for Best Picture or on AFI's 100 Greatest Movies List.]

Edit: And consider movies from the Greatest Films site too.

Last edited by dhmac; 07-18-05 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-17-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since I started this, I'll post one:

Jerry Maguire

Other's view:
- 7.3 at IMDB.com
- 85% Fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes
- Best Picture Nominee at the Oscars

My view:
I cannot believe how much praise this movie has gotten! To me, it's lousy chick flick masquerading as a sports flick that about a smarmy guy who is completely unlikeable. Throw in a cutesy kid, a lame love story and an annoying athlete, and that's the movie.

I think the writing in Jerry Maguire is bad sitcom level with a lot of terribly-written scenes (The "It's Just Me and the Fish" scene, the "Show Me The Money" scene, the "Help Me Help You (kick the wall)" scene, the "I love him! I love him! I love him!" scene, the "You Complete Me / You Had Me At Hello" scene). I hated every one of these sitcom-level scenes!

And, to top it off, the so-called message of the movie is completely screwed up. The problem with professional sports is not that agents spend too little time with their clients as the movie claims, it's that the athletes are overpaid prima donnas who get their money no matter how badly they play, while the fans are being squeezed by over-inflated ticket prices. Only someone in Hollywood could completely miss the fact that the mere existence of sports agents is a large part of the problem.

So, as you can see, I absolutely hate this movie!
Old 07-17-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
The Godfather.

Other's view:
- 9.1 out of 10 at IMDB.com
- 100% Fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes
- 3 Oscars, a ton of nominations, and a bunch of other awards

My view:

My dislike of this movie is mainly due to my dislike of mafia/mobster stories in general. For all the romantisizing of "the family", there is nothing honorable in being a criminal. I just don't find these people (or the Sopranos) interesting or sympathetic. They're scum, and I find it very hard to support a scum hero.

With the exception of marble-mouthed Marlon Brando, however, it does seem to be a very well made film, but it's just not something I find appealing.
Old 07-17-05, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
The Godfather.

Other's view:

My view:

My dislike of this movie is mainly due to my dislike of mafia/mobster stories in general. For all the romantisizing of "the family", there is nothing honorable in being a criminal. I just don't find these people (or the Sopranos) interesting or sympathetic. They're scum, and I find it very hard to support a scum hero.

With the exception of marble-mouthed Marlon Brando, however, it does seem to be a very well made film, but it's just not something I find appealing.
I totally agree. You nailed my entire sentiments about these movies and I thought I was alone on this.
Old 07-17-05, 12:16 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Hours

Other's view:
- 7.7 at IMDB.com
- 78% Fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes
- 9 Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, with 1 win for Best Actress (Kidman)
- Golden Globe wins for Best Picture (Drama) and Best Actress (Kidman)

My view:
First, what I did like. The entire Julianne Moore plotline/segment is amazing. In fact, I wish the whole movie was about that. I also thought the way the three stories were connected was well done.

But the rest of it I can barely stomach. The Virginia Woolf segments were simply dull. I understand there was a lot of pain in this woman's life, and I believe her life story may be very interesting fodder for a film. The Hours did justice to none of this IMO. I love Nicole Kidman, but I thought this was one of her most overrated performances. Frankly I thought she was much more impressive in Eyes Wide Shut and The Others, two films she wasn't even nominated for (at least by the Academy).

Then you have the Meryl Streep/Ed Harris story. I HATED this with a passion. I despised every character in this segment. They all came across to me as either overly pretentious or saintly caricatures. I understood the themes they were trying to present here, but in this presentation none of it was remotely appealing.

In Moore's segment I not only understand her torment, but I felt it. I cared. But Kidman's Woolf and Streep's character... I understood their situations but the film simply couldn't make me care. Even worse it pushed me away from caring about the characters. In fact I hated Streep's character so much, I disliked Harris' character for even being associated with her.
Old 07-17-05, 12:56 PM

Hmmm, for me it would be House of Flying Daggers, a 7.6 on IMDB. I'd probably give it a 3.

To me it's beautiful to look at and the fight scenes are enjoyable, but that can't save the movie from either its paper-thin characterizations or an incredibly silly finale which aims for poetry and magic realism but achieves only cheese.

Like Hero, the movie is full of plots, counter-plots and revelations, but it's all just an illusion of depth. The heroine is the best example of this. She's blind ... but she's also a uber-competent warrior woman whose martial arts skills put Zatoichi and Daredevil to shame! Then in the movie's Big Reveal we learn that
Spoiler:

she's not really blind at all. This is supposed to be a Huge Shock for the audience. But it falls completely flat because Daredevil-women has never really acted blind during the entire movie--for example, we've already seen her running headlong through a forest without tripping or ramming into a tree. So the audience response to the twist isn't "Wow!" but "Well duh! Of course the woman who doesn't act blind isn't blind!"

I laughed out loud when that happened, and laughed again at the overblown climax. It's clear from the great color-and-season coded cinematography and the thick schmear of symbolism that the director wants to make deep statements about love, betrayal, and duty. But you can't polish a hunk of cheese, and instead of thinking about love, betrayal and dute all I could think of while watching this movie was Michael Bay's hamfisted attempts to overlay Christ imagry on Nicholas Cage's action heroes in The Rock and Con Air.

Which is the really sad thing: Zhang Yimou, the man who made Raise the Red Lantern, has become Michael Bay.

Last edited by Inverse; 07-17-05 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-17-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Godfather.
My biggest problem with The Godfather is its constant ranking as one of the greatest movies ever, while I don't think it's even the greatest Mob movie ever. However, I do like the movie - the one I have a problem with is its overrated sequel...

The Godfather Part II

Other's views:
8.9 at IMDB.com
100% Fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes
Winner of the Oscar for Best Picture, and a bunch of other awards

My view:
Although I think it is a bit overrated, I do like The Godfather. I especially like its end shot, as Michael is now the head of the family and Kay watched him in his office through the door, which then closes, symbolizing the closing off of their relationship. It said all it needed to say visually, with no words.

And then there's The Godfather Part II. It is an odd Frankenstein monster of a movie, IMO, comprised of two unequal parts sewn together. One part, dealing with the Young Vito Corleone as played by Robert DeNiro is great - as good as anything in the first film. But the other part, dealing with Michael Corleone, is not so good, as it lumbers, heavy-handedly, from scene to scene. The whole relationship between Michael and Kay, which was perfectly symbolized in that final shot of the first movie, is now blown up into pretentious dimensions comprised of overblown dramatic scenes. And, unlike the first movie, Michael himself has become, as critic Danny Peary says, "a brooding bore" throughout this movie. The whole Michael part of the movie is weakly written, like the heavy-handed symbolism in the Cuban section (the slicing up the cake scene), which is also a section that proceeds far too fast (one minute, they just heard of Castro and his rebels; the next, the government has been overthrown - pretty quick for a revolution that actually lasted many years). And then there's the astonishingly dry Senate hearings, which are so authentic looking, that they are just as dull as watching C-SPAN. And the killings of enemies at the end simply copies the similar sequence from the first movie, but are rather stupid with every hitman this time essentially doing his job as a suicide mission (which is quite silly in a Mob movie). A friend, who shared my view of this movie, told me that the Young Vito section of the movie came from the unfilmed chapters of the original novel, but the Michael section was all new for the movie. And I think that explains the weakness of the Michael section of the movie, because while the Young Vito section is a lot more like The Godfather (Part I), the Michael section is a lot more like The Godfather Part III, which was also written just for the screen.

I really like the Young Vito segment too much to give the movie a "Thumbs Down", but the Michael segments drags the movie down a lot. Sorry, but IMO this isn't as good as the first movie, or even close to being one of the greatest movies ever made.

Last edited by dhmac; 07-17-05 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-17-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Since I started this, I'll post one:

Jerry Maguire

Other's view:
- 7.3 at IMDB.com
- 85% Fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes
- Best Picture Nominee at the Oscars

My view:
I cannot believe how much praise this movie has gotten! To me, it's lousy chick flick masquerading as a sports flick that about a smarmy guy who is completely unlikeable. Throw in a cutesy kid, a lame love story and an annoying athlete, and that's the movie.

I think the writing in Jerry Maguire is bad sitcom level with a lot of terribly-written scenes (The "It's Just Me and the Fish" scene, the "Show Me The Money" scene, the "Help Me Help You (kick the wall)" scene, the "I love him! I love him! I love him!" scene, the "You Complete Me / You Had Me At Hello" scene). I hated every one of these sitcom-level scenes!

And, to top it off, the so-called message of the movie is completely screwed up. The problem with professional sports is not that agents spend too little time with their clients as the movie claims, it's that the athletes are overpaid prima donnas who get their money no matter how badly they play, while the fans are being squeezed by over-inflated ticket prices. Only someone in Hollywood could completely miss the fact that the mere existence of sports agents is a large part of the problem.

So, as you can see, I absolutely hate this movie!

Well said. Plus I don't know any man in his right mind who would take Renee Zelwegger over Kelly Preston.

This one along with The Matrix and Fight Club top my list.
Old 07-17-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Goldfinger
"The Best Bond film of them all"

Okay, I'll give it points for:
-Great theme song
-Quintessential henchman
-Memorable Bond Girl name

But where's the fun at seeing super spy, James Bond
Spoiler:
being held as a prisoner for nearly an hour?
And how seriously are we supposed to take Goldfinger as an evil mastermind after he's
Spoiler:
outwitted by Bond at the card and golf games?
Maybe the movie's most famously-quoted line could have had more significance if this guy was made out to be more threatening. And what's the most heroic thing Bond does in this movie?
Spoiler:
Convert the lesbian to being straight?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there only three action sequences in this whole movie?
1)Opening teaser
2)Aston Martin chase
3)Airplane climax (It's hard to see the Bond/Oddjob confrontation as a "fight")
You call this the greatest 007 adventure?

I understand that director Guy Hamilton was the first to bring the "Ham-and-cheese" factor to this long-running franchise, but even the satire of this movie (Which I'm assuming where all the positive feedback comes from) fails to connect with me. So if that's not what the critics/fans/reviewers love about it, then what is it?
Old 07-17-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
The Manchurian Candidate 2004 version, 80% at rottentomatoes

I went into this after reading the reviews and was prepared for a good re-imagining of the classic thriller. The acting was good, but I felt everything else was just flat out blah, like they took a cookie cutter thriller and polished it with a name director and actors. How this caught on with so many critics I'll never know, not sure how the general public felt, but I don't think this one stuck around very long.

Forrest Gump 78%, and 100% from Cream of the Crop

I liked this movie when it first came out the summer before my Senior year of High School, and continued to do so for the rest of the year, despite seeing Pulp Fiction in October of that year and really liking it as well. As time went on and I began to develop a mind of my own, I came to see this movie as contrived sentimentality that tries too hard to pull at the heartstrings and make people like it.
Old 07-17-05, 04:51 PM

From russia with love that greatest Bond film ever and much better than Goldfinger....
Old 07-17-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kahuna415
I totally agree. You nailed my entire sentiments about these movies and I thought I was alone on this.
Good,now i dont feel as bad about not being a fan of the Godfather movies since theres atleast 2 more people Never been a big fan of the mafia stuff either although i do really like Goodfellas for some reason.
Old 07-17-05, 06:42 PM

I second Forrest Gump. It often seems like people fall for a movie simply because it has a "special" person or alcoholic in it. (See also Rain Man, A Beautiful Mind, Leaving Las Vegas).
I disliked Forrest Gump from the moment I saw it in the theater. A "special" guy who runs fast, happens to be there for every historical moment of his time, and has many simple (but oh-so deep) sayings. I just don't get it.
Old 07-17-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Godfather.

Other's view:

My view:

I don't like criminals either, but I actually do find their stories fascinating. I love reading/watching stories about western outlaws too. Not sure why, but I've always been interested in their story.

I also don't think that a story about a certain characters/people necessarily endorses their behavior.
Old 07-17-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Goldfinger
"The Best Bond film of them all"

Okay, I'll give it points for:
-Great theme song
-Quintessential henchman
-Memorable Bond Girl name

But where's the fun at seeing super spy, James Bond
Spoiler:
being held as a prisoner for nearly an hour?
And how seriously are we supposed to take Goldfinger as an evil mastermind after he's
Spoiler:
outwitted by Bond at the card and golf games?
Maybe the movie's most famously-quoted line could have had more significance if this guy was made out to be more threatening. And what's the most heroic thing Bond does in this movie?
Spoiler:
Convert the lesbian to being straight?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there only three action sequences in this whole movie?
1)Opening teaser
2)Aston Martin chase
3)Airplane climax (It's hard to see the Bond/Oddjob confrontation as a "fight")
You call this the greatest 007 adventure?

I understand that director Guy Hamilton was the first to bring the "Ham-and-cheese" factor to this long-running franchise, but even the satire of this movie (Which I'm assuming where all the positive feedback comes from) fails to connect with me. So if that's not what the critics/fans/reviewers love about it, then what is it?
Even though I'm a huge fan of Goldfinger, I've long thought that it's not the "Best Bond" because JB is Goldfinger's prisoner for the majority of the movie, and instead of a lot of exotic scenery, we get... Kentucky. (From Russia With Love is the "Best Bond" in part because it lacks both of these drawbacks.)
Old 07-17-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Good,now i dont feel as bad about not being a fan of the Godfather movies since theres at least 2 more people Never been a big fan of the mafia stuff either although i do really like Goodfellas for some reason.
Goodfellas is great for simply showing the Mob guys for being the scumbags they are.
Old 07-17-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Even though I'm a huge fan of Goldfinger, I've long thought that it's not the "Best Bond" because JB is Goldfinger's prisoner for the majority of the movie, and instead of a lot of exotic scenery, we get... Kentucky.

I'm from Kentucky originally buster, and I take offense to that... even though you're right for the most part. Unless it's Louisville, Kentucky doesn't have that much fancy stuff to offer, maybe Elizabethtown will change that, but I doubt it as the actual town isn't much to write home about.
Old 07-17-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chicago

7.5 on IMDB. I wouldnt give it a 0.000075 Worst movie I ever paid to see. I left about 2/3 the way in. I havent walked out of a movie ever in all my years until this one.
Old 07-17-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Goodfellas is great for simply showing the Mob guys for being the scumbags they are.
The thing I liked about Goodfellas was that the movie starts out being really romatic and very melodramatic, but ends up showing everyone's true colors.

Anyway, my least favorite film of all time is probably Cast Away. It's generally well-liked in the critic community but it's also a movie that splits its audience. If anyone else here has seen "A Cry in the Wild" you'll know why I dislike this movie.
Old 07-17-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
I really like the Young Vito segment too much to give the movie a "Thumbs Down", but the Michael segments drags the movie down a lot. Sorry, but IMO this isn't as good as the first movie, or even close to being one of the greatest movies ever made.[/QUOTE]

In terms of Godfather 1 and 2, I think the Godfather is the best movie I have ever seen. I agree with you for the most part on Part 2, but the Michael/Fredo subplot was very interesting. The whole Cuba/Meyer Hyman thing was dull.

That said there used to be a VHS set called the Godfather chronicles or Saga that put the two movies in sequential order and added some scenes. The combined movie was incredible and flower much better, with a stronger arc showing the contrast between what the Godfather was and what his son had become.
Old 07-17-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
The new Willy Wonka movie.

The new Willy Wonka movie is over 80% at Rotten Tomatoes and getting raves in the review thread for it. I think it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I do not see why anyone would like this movie. It is creepy, and mean spirited and strange for the sake of being strange. The characters have no depth and actually don;t seem that upse when their kids go missing. I found the Oompa Loompas to be creepy as well. I thought it was laughably bad. FWIW, the crowd I saw it with seemed to dislike it, and many left early.
Old 07-17-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even though I'm a huge fan of Goldfinger, I've long thought that it's not the "Best Bond" because JB is Goldfinger's prisoner for the majority of the movie, and instead of a lot of exotic scenery, we get... Kentucky. (From Russia With Love is the "Best Bond" in part because it lacks both of these drawbacks.)
I'm sorry, but From Russia with Love nearly put me to sleep the first time i watched it. boy thats a long ass movie (or at 115, it felt it), then again, i am more of a modern pierce bond fan (favorite connery is thunderball)
Old 07-18-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
The Big Lebowski

85% Fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes
8.0 out of 10 at IMDB.com

Other than Hudsucker Proxy, this is my least favorite Coen brothers film. It has a couple of chuckles, but when I saw this I was completely underwhelmed. I've seen it twice since, thinking I must be missing something, since I so much enjoyed their other work. All the pieces are there, but I just didn't enjoy the result, and I continue to be amazed at the slavish devotion it receives. I loved Buscemi (as always), Goodman did a great job with a character that was far too cartoonish even for the this movie, and I can see where the Coens were trying to go with it. But it probably doesn't help that I came to despise the Dude. I found his character to be too unlikable and contrived to be sympathetic. Compare him to H.I. McDunnough, who was a petty crook/kidnapper/loser, but you had to love and root for the guy. Lebowski was an interesting one-time diversion, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.
Old 07-18-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by kahuna415
No, I agree as well. In my opinion there is very little to like about The Godfather series, overall.
Old 07-18-05, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I'm sorry, but From Russia with Love nearly put me to sleep the first time i watched it. boy thats a long ass movie (or at 115, it felt it), then again, i am more of a modern pierce bond fan (favorite connery is thunderball)
I like the action stuff as well but i like FRWL simply because Bond actually *did* some spying (the Bond girl in that movie being really hot is also something to take into consideration ).

Sometimes spying is good to see after watching alot of Bonds more gadget heavy flicks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.