Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pretty Persuasion

Old 07-16-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty Persuasion

Has anyone heard of this dark comedy? It comes out August 12.

The film stars Evan Rachel Wood and James Woods.

Apparently it premiered at Sundance or one of the film festivals because it had some early positive reviews about how funny it was.

It looks like a winner after viewing the trailer.

http://prettypersuasionthemovie.com/

Old 07-16-05, 04:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meh. Looks like standard art-house button pusher. I'm shock that the trailer got away with a green band though.
Old 07-16-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Meh. Looks like standard art-house button pusher. I'm shock that the trailer got away with a green band though.

Wow. I must be a big fan of standard art-house button pushers then. I'd imagine this movie will be more entertaining than the regular Hollywood
drivel that comes out every weekend.
Old 07-16-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey
Wow. I must be a big fan of standard art-house button pushers then. I'd imagine this movie will be more entertaining than the regular Hollywood
drivel that comes out every weekend.
Hell, if Shelton's going to hate this, I'm going to love it.

I'm there when it comes to Vegas. I've been looking forward to this ever since I read the early reviews at Sundance. Anything with James Woods and Ron Livingston can't be that bad, eh?
Old 07-16-05, 10:16 PM

. I'd imagine this movie will be more entertaining than the regular Hollywood drivel that comes out every weekend.
The guy who directed this also helmed episodes of FASTLANE.
Old 07-16-05, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Hell, if Shelton's going to hate this, I'm going to love it.
I would take a second look at our 2005 lists before comments like that. We're not that far apart on many movies.
Old 07-17-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I'm slightly curious about it because of Skander Halim, but not enough to see it in the theater.
Old 07-17-05, 01:53 PM

I liked this movie a whole freaking lot. Takes a lot to shock me, and this movie did it more than a couple times. Plus it's funny. Curious to hear more reactions once the release date draws near.
Old 07-17-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
The guy who directed this also helmed episodes of FASTLANE.

Never seen any eps of Fastlane, but i assume that it sucks considering your views on PP.

Who knows, we'll all see in August I guess.
Old 07-18-05, 09:06 AM

Never seen any eps of Fastlane, but i assume that it sucks considering your views on PP.

Who knows, we'll all see in August I guess.

I have no views on PERSUASION. You asked about the trailer, and it doesn't look all that interesting to me, that's all. No fire here.

And FASTLANE was, at the time, considered a pretty lowball, overstylized television show (produced by McG). I was pointing that out when you made the blanket "Hollywood drivel" comment.

I hope that PERSUASION ends up being everything you want from it, trust me. Have a ball with it.
Old 12-04-05, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got to catch it this weekend when I was in LA. It is one of the better movies I have seen in a while. Especially at the theaters. I'm a big fan of off color humor, especially black, but this was excellent. I think Saved! was trying to be like this movie, but not nearly as sadistic. I really liked it. And since Evan Rachel Wood seems to be 18, I can see where Livingston is coming from. Ouch.
Old 12-04-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this the other day as well. Evan Rachel Wood is one of the best young actresses around, and I see her having a good, long career in movies if she wants it. She's certainly not a flash in the pan young teen actress like Hilary Duff and so many others. She's got substance and I look forward to seeing where her career goes.

I also thought James Woods was brilliant in this movie, but he was pretty one dimensional. I don't blame him for that; his acting was good, it's his character I didn't care much for. And there in lies the problem with this movie for me: I didn't care about many of the characters. One you feel quite sorry for, but not because of I felt any care for her, but because of how shocking the resolution is to her story line in the movie. Wood's preformance is the most memorable thing from this movie, along side with Evan Rachel Wood's performance. With both of them, I do not regret watching the movie, but I wish they had stronger material to build on. However, it wasn't one of the best indy movies I've seen lately.

I did write a review for it at amazon.com

Here it is for those interested:

My attention towards this movie was first caught in a review written in "Video Business Magazine" that said that Pretty Pesuasion was a movie that we would get if John Waters had directed Heathers. They also compared it to another one of my all time favorite comedies, Election. So when I saw this available on DVD for rental, I picked it up (and it was a free rental, thankfully.)

What would I compare this movie to? Perhaps a little of Wild Things meets Mean Girls meets a train wreck. It's hardly a break through role for Evan Rachel Wood (Thirteen did that for her nicely, thanks) and the rest of the cast just meanders about on screen aimlessly, as if waiting for some competent direction Marcos Siega, but Marcos doesn't succeed in the transition from music video/tv episode director to movie director very well. If this movie had been shortened to an hour long pilot for a TV show, it would have worked so much better. However, as a feature length movie, it's too long.

James Woods is quite interesting in his role as Hank Joyce, but his character, like so many others in the movie, are not fleshed out enough for me to care about them. I hardly even care for Evan Rachel Wood's character, but am I supposed to? She is a horror of a human in this movie, and the most sympathy I feel is for the characters around her, particularly in the characters of Britney and especially Randa.

It's listed as a comedy, but there are too many depressing things in this movie to make it even a good black comedy. I won't go into too much in my review, as I don't want to write any spoilers, but one scene in particular towards the end (and if you have seen it, you should know what I am talking about) is devastating, and for what little laughs were in the film, it makes you forget any "comedy" you saw before then.
It's certainly not what I would consider a teen comedy. Maybe if they didn't push it as that, I could have accepted it better. It's a teen drama with comedic elements in it, some dark humor elements in it. Maybe I will revisit this movie some time down the road, but it was such a depressing movie and the characters end in ruin at the end. Not that I need a movie with a happy ending all the time, but geez, the main character didn't even get her's in this movie. She just realizes what a loser she is at the end of it.

Last edited by calhoun07; 12-04-05 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-26-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can someone explain the significance of the very end [spoiler]Kim is watching the tv, as she flips throough the channels, one show she stops on, and then roll credits, i was wondering what the significance of the scene was.
Old 03-26-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can someone explain the significance of the very end
Spoiler:
Kim is watching the tv, as she flips throough the channels, one show she stops on, and then roll credits, i was wondering what the significance of the scene was.