Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville: Must see episodes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-05, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smallville: Must see episodes?

Hi all,

I've been tossing around the idea of renting some Smallville DVDs from Blockbuster Online. Does anyone want to share a recommended episode list? I'd like to catch mainly the crucial episodes that further along the Smallville "big picture"... along with maybe a handful of non-crucial eps too, for seasoning.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Slappy
Old 07-16-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
The only season I own is S2, so I would recommend those.
Old 07-16-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I would say the first one with Christopher Reeve. It was one of the first episodes I saw all the way through and got me to watch the rest of Season 2. However, after a handful of Season 3 episodes, I dropped the show since it seemed to kill any forward momentum that Season 2 had generated.
Old 07-16-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Season 2 and 4. While 4 had it's share of weak episodes, it also had some very good episodes as well, including the season premeire and the season finale. There was also a very good episode where Clark and Lionel switch souls, personality, whatever you like to call it. This episode clearly shows Tom Welling at his best, as he gave his best performance in Smallville with the episode. Also, some of the episodes with the Alicia character were pretty good, until they decided to kill her off.
Old 07-16-05, 11:42 AM

Nice spoiler, Terrell.
Old 07-16-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Definitely "Rosetta", the first Christopher Reeve episode. Smallville's shining moment and it's been way downhill since then.

Honestly, watch most of Season 1 and Season 2 up until "Rosetta" and then do yourself a favor and tune out. Season 3 had a decent run of episodes to close out, but anything interesting that happened was eventually undone in the dreadful Season 4. And Lana....good God, you don't wanna know what they do with her character.
Old 07-16-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Cartload
I would say the first one with Christopher Reeve. It was one of the first episodes I saw all the way through and got me to watch the rest of Season 2. However, after a handful of Season 3 episodes, I dropped the show since it seemed to kill any forward momentum that Season 2 had generated.
Yeah, the first with Reeve is the only one i'd feel comfortable recommending..
Old 07-16-05, 03:20 PM

Ok, thanks for the input. I'd been recommended Smallville by a friend, but the general consensus here seems to be "ehhhh"... :-) Maybe I should rethink this idea.
Old 07-16-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) Rosseta Stone
2) Any show with Christopher Reeve
3) Last show of 1st season and 1st show of 2nd season (Great cliff hanger)
4) Clark and Pa punching it out in the 1st show of the 3rd season

I own all three season out on DVD, I love all of them. Some are a little better than others, but as a whole - It is a all-around great show.
Old 07-16-05, 09:53 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slappy
Ok, thanks for the input. I'd been recommended Smallville by a friend, but the general consensus here seems to be "ehhhh"... :-) Maybe I should rethink this idea.
The best thing to do would probably be to just rent the first disc and decide after you watch that. The show isn't that good, but it can still be enjoyable if you're into the genre.

Actually, probably the best thing to do would be to read this: http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=2414 It has just a bit of a Smallville feel to it, but it's much better. Also, it's a self-contained story and doesn't have any connection to other Superman comics.
Old 07-16-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would rent all of season 1 and 2. After that i think the quality goes downhill and gets kind of stale. Seasons 3 and 4 are still worth watching if you enjoy 1 and 2 though.
Old 07-17-05, 01:13 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's almost easier to just name all the ones he should avoid... 95% of the freak of the week episodes, any episode focusing on Native American mumbo jumbo, any episode that makes you wonder if you're watching Charmed instead of Smallville, anything involving Pete and race cars...
Old 07-17-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
It's almost easier to just name all the ones he should avoid... 95% of the freak of the week episodes, any episode focusing on Native American mumbo jumbo, any episode that makes you wonder if you're watching Charmed instead of Smallville, anything involving Pete and race cars...

After season 4s story arcs i would love to see Clark beat the crap out of some more freaks.
Old 07-18-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
I like Smallville.

I don't have the high expectations for it, week to week, that I had for Buffy and Angel, but I find it consistently entertaining.

I would confidently recommend half of any season's episodes as being good to very good.

The problem is that if you are going to rent the discs, there's no reason why you shouldn't just go ahead and watch all the episodes on each disc.

If you are interested enough in the show to consider renting it, then you should go ahead and get the first disc and see what you think. If you like what you see, keep going.

In the first season, you have to plod threw a few too many "freak of the week" episodes, but the show gets better.

In the middle of the second season, they really get going with what will become Smallville's mythology when the caves are discovered.

Just for the record, here are the eps that I think are best/ important:

Season one: pilot / metamorphosis / xray / jitters / rogue / hug / nicodemus / stray / obscura / tempest

Season two: vortex / heat / red / ryan / skinwalker / visage / insurgence / fever / rosetta / calling / exodus

Season three: exile / phoenix / perry / relic / shattered / asylum / delete / obsession / crisis / legacy / truth / memoria / talisman / forsaken / covenant

And I know people hate Lana but KK is so fraking beautiful
Old 07-18-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
Definitely skip the ones where Clark almost reveals to Lana his identity, they almost get together, and then they decide to stay apart because she just can't trust him.

Oh yeah, and the ones in which Kristin Kruek tries to emote.

Oh wait, that's pretty much all of them, right?
Old 07-18-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Definitely skip the ones where Clark almost reveals to Lana his identity, they almost get together, and then they decide to stay apart because she just can't trust him.

Oh yeah, and the ones in which Kristin Kruek tries to emote.

Oh wait, that's pretty much all of them, right?
And don't forget the ones where someone isn't quite themselves because of kryptonite or some other unexplainable reason, but everything is back to normal by the end.
Old 07-19-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

but...but...but...Lana's cute...
Old 07-19-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are the episodes I would recommend, although I'll say I like all the episodes (Except for "Ageless" I think it was called in Season 4 - horrible).

S1: Pilot, X-Ray, Hourglass, Jitters, Rogue, Hug, Leech, Zero, Stray, Drone, Tempest

S2: Vortex, Heat, Duplicity, Red, Lineage, Ryan, Visage, Insurgence, Prodigal, Rosetta, Precipe, Witness, Calling, Exodus

S3: Exile, Phoenix, Extinction, Perry, Shattered, Asylum, Legacy, Memoria, Talisman, Forsaken, Covenant

S4: Crusade, Gone, Run, Transference, Unsafe, Pariah, Sacred, Onyx, Blank, Commencement