Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Brat Camp: 07/13/05

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 08:25 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brat Camp: 07/13/05

I turned on this show for a laugh (thinking it was some cheesy boot camp) and was quite shocked of how good it turned out to be.

For those who missed it, 9 out of control teenagers (4 girls, 5 boys) are sent to a rehabilitation/therapy camp to work through their issues and become normal teenagers again. Their issues ranged from drug/alcohol use, anger management, suicide contemplation, ADHD, molestation, and teen-runaways.

They are stripped of all their belongings, blindfolded and driven to the camp, called Sagewalk, which is located in the middle of a desert during the winter. Their parents told them that they would be at the camp for a week. But in reality, they will be at the camp until they work out thier problems, which could be up to 90 days. Also, it's during the holiday season, which means they will miss Thanksgiving and probably Christmas.

They are living in teepees and follow a strict regiment each morning. Their diet cut out all of the junk food and is pretty much plain oatmeal and lentils from what I can tell. Last night, they had to go on a 7 mile hike with 30-40 pound packs, set up a new camp for a few days, and hike back on Thanksgiving.

It was one of the more interesting reality shows I've seen in a while, probably because it's actually about reality. Also, it's the first show I've ever heard the term "phantom duke" uttered.

Last edited by Flay; 07-14-05 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-14-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
It wasn't too bad, although I laughed every time they showed the field names for Team SageWalk.
Old 07-14-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Stalking Cougar.

heh.
Old 07-14-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Liked it!

Will tune in next week.
Old 07-14-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
It wasn't too bad, although I laughed every time they showed the field names for Team SageWalk.
I still when I think of the Phantom-Duke...But it was actually a decent show. Although the kids did get on my nerves at times, Im glad they dont always show them as hard-assed, snotty punks. Yeah thats a good majority of it, but it also shows a more humanistic and redeeming quality to them.
Old 07-14-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Its amazing how shocking it is to see a reality show about 'reality'...everything thats happening in the show would be happening if the cameras werent there.

(And I dont mean in a Big Brother type of way, I mean down to the fact that the kids are away at this camp.)
Old 07-14-05, 02:07 PM

I really enjoyed it, which is slightly shocking since I usually hate these types of shows. I just happened to be flipping through the channels when this came on and after 5 minutes I was hooked. I will be watching this the rest of the season.

Brett
Old 07-14-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
More heartbreaking than any super syrupy, teary confessional, was last nights breakthrough.

That girl KNOWING that she is self destructing as a result of her molestation and saying

"You know, the other seniors at school worry about where there going with thier lives, while I worry about what Converse to wear....and thats pathetic!"

The disgust with herself in her voice was soo freaking sad.

BTW...I can totally see tha blond, druggie girl (who lost her father as a child) becoming a future youth mentor...she's fucked up, but seems to be taking to this process like a fish to water.
Old 07-14-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked at the end..where the kid says:

Parents who want to send the kids to this place: F**k off!
Old 07-15-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ratings are out:

HIGH CAMP: It looks like ABC has another summer reality smash on its hands. The network saw more than 10 million viewers turn out for the premiere of Brat Camp on Wednesday. It marked the third-highest reality debut this summer, behind ABC's Dancing with the Stars and the NBC dud Hit Me Baby One More Time.
Old 07-15-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
"...ABC has another summer reality smash on its hands...third-highest reality debut...behind...the NBC dud Hit Me Baby One More Time."

That's some fine reporting:
third rated = smash
second rated = dud
Old 07-16-05, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This so far has been an excellent show. I too thought it was going to be a watered down version of 'Scared Straight' (from the 70's), but these are real kids who are really screwed up and will probably be dead by the time they are 25.

I like the no nonsense approach of the camp leaders and how they stick to their guns. The kids have to get dressed and be ready in 5 minutes. 1 second over and they have to do it over again until they get it done in 5 minutes. They don't eat until they get it right.

I love hiking, but that hike would have killed me. 7 miles with a 40 lb pack. But these kids are young, they will survive physically, but mentally and emotionally, well that remains to be seen.

I too will be watching the rest of the season. It will be interesting to see the followup show at the end, since this probably happened last year during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Six months time should be a good gauge to see if this type of therapy works or not. I'm hoping it does, for these kids sake!

Chris
Old 07-17-05, 11:10 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't get why the hyperactive kid is there. Isn't the problem just that he's off his meds?

I think the approach they are using is interesting. I have to admit, though, I can't stand all the Earth Name crap. I want to gag every time someone refers to themself as "Flying Wind Wolf" or whatever. It gives me flashbacks of the hippy teacher from Beavis & Butthead.
Old 07-17-05, 12:34 PM

I grew up in a commune, so you'd think I would shrug it off, but the one annoying thing (admittedly pretty minor) to me is the counselor's names. Anyway, I really enjoyed what I saw of the first ep. I just hope whatever progress these kids make at the camp isn't undone by parents who enable the old behavior patterns to creep back in.
Old 07-17-05, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
"You know, the other seniors at school worry about where there going with thier lives, while I worry about what Converse to wear....and thats pathetic!"
that was really an amazing moment...one of those rare times in television where i felt it went from "trite reality show" to an actual realization of truth. the self-awareness and courage it takes to understand and aknowledge something like that is pretty significant. it's really rare to find a person who can actually look inside themselves in a semi-objective way (as well as one can, i suppose...) and actually pull something useful out of it. i really hope that girl can figure a way out of her mess. she's obviously very intelligent, it's just buried beneath years of repression, depression, and other confused emotions. she's been caught in this rut, and i think it's something a lot of people can relate to. her line just struck me as incredibly profound, and i dont think more meaningful words have been said in any other show this year, reality or otherwise...
Old 07-17-05, 11:08 PM

wow, I wish I'd seen that moment - I hope this gets re-aired.
Old 07-19-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lucasorion
wow, I wish I'd seen that moment - I hope this gets re-aired.

It was a pretty awesome moment..it came after reading her impact letter..and after her falling apart on the hike.
Old 07-20-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How bout the one girl's dad's impact letter.

"You drink too much"

She's like freakin 16!!! I think drinking ANY amount would be too much.

I think 90% of these kids problems came directly from terrible parenting!

And how about "I'm tired of you spending my hard earned money on drugs."

Gee... Here's a thought... STOP GIVING HER MONEY!!!!
Old 08-15-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm giving this a bump!

I watched all the episodes this weekend on ABC_Family

Looks like the ending is coming up soon.

This Wednesday - Aug 17 8-9pm (I don't think this is the final episode.. but one of the last)
Old 08-15-05, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I'm giving this a bump!

This Wednesday - Aug 17 8-9pm (I don't think this is the final episode.. but one of the last)
Well, they pre-empted last week because of the 2 hour Peter Jennings special. Do you mean to tell me that they showed the new episode on ABC Family this last weekend, before they will show it this Wednesday on ABC?

If so, this is the 2nd time I'm going to be pissed with the networks pre-empting a show and then showing it elsewhere without telling anybody, Big Brother 6 on Saturday being the first.

Chris
Old 08-15-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I'm giving this a bump!

This past Sunday Aug 14th. I watched all the episodes leading up to what I think is the ending. The last episode they aired is the one where they get "Earth Names"

I think all the kids are making progress... except for that spoiled girl.

She knows that all she has to do is do her time... and when she goes home she can lie to her parents and work them over.

I wouldn't be suprised if she comes back home and is worse. Think about it.. she can put one hell of a guilt trip on her parents for what they put her through. She could justify anything she does by saying "you made me like this by sending me to that camp"
Old 03-29-08, 10:42 AM

Sorry to drag this up but I'm doing research on wilderness therapy does anyone know if this on anywhere?

I really would like to see this show.

Thanks