Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Switch from DTV to Digital Cable

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I finally made the jump from DTV to digital cable with Cablevision. It's getting installed next Tuesday. I'm just tired of not getting all of my HD channels because of a tree in my neighbors yard. And I'm tired of the feed going out during good rain storms. Especially with football season coming up. I don't want to be missing games because of snow storms etc.....

So with the deal, I get a free DVR box which can record 120+ hours of regular cable and 20+ hours of HD feeds. That is very awesome. I'm excited about it, and I hope it works out. I know some of the non digital channels may look crappy, but at least they'll come in! There's a 30 day money back guarantee and there's NO contract, so I can cancel at anytime with no penalty. I'll post a follow-up once it's installed. Keeping my fingers crossed that at least the HD channels will work flawlessly.
Old 07-14-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ylomnstr
So I finally made the jump from DTV to digital cable with Cablevision. It's getting installed next Tuesday. I'm just tired of not getting all of my HD channels because of a tree in my neighbors yard. And I'm tired of the feed going out during good rain storms. Especially with football season coming up. I don't want to be missing games because of snow storms etc.....

So with the deal, I get a free DVR box which can record 120+ hours of regular cable and 20+ hours of HD feeds. That is very awesome. I'm excited about it, and I hope it works out. I know some of the non digital channels may look crappy, but at least they'll come in! There's a 30 day money back guarantee and there's NO contract, so I can cancel at anytime with no penalty. I'll post a follow-up once it's installed. Keeping my fingers crossed that at least the HD channels will work flawlessly.
I tried out digital cable while keeping DISH network.....the quality of channels was definately not as good on regular cable....the hd channels were fine, but they also did not have all the locals (charter cable in dallas).

I got the scientific atlanta receiver that records hd also...the features were pretty minimal. Mainly, you could not narrow down the guide (at least what I could tell).

They had a money back guarantee so I got my money back and kept Dish....supposedly Direct tv will be giving away hd-tivos to new customers soon, so ill switch then.
Old 07-14-05, 09:22 AM

Yeah, I'm not cancelling DTV until I try the cable service out for a few days. My local cable does provide all the local channels in HD, so that's a plus. I really won't have a reason to watch the regular non-digital channels since most of the stuff I will watch is digital like National Geographic, Discovery, etc. They say only the first 100 channels are analog, and the rest are digital, and most of the good stuff is over channel 100. And for stuff I want on local channels, I'll just use the HD channels. We shall see.

Also, if/when DTV starts giving away free HD tivo's, and they launch the rest of their HD channels, I could always go back since there's no contract with cable. But the thought of not being able to pick up all the HD channels during the summer because of a TREE really pisses me off. Hence the change for now. Hopefully I'll be moving soon within a year or so, and I might go back to DTV then, unless cable converts many more channels to HD.
Old 07-14-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
supposedly Direct tv will be giving away hd-tivos to new customers soon
Man stuff like that burns my ass,new customers get a free HD-Tivo but dedicated customers have to shell out $700 for one?
Old 07-14-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
They had a money back guarantee so I got my money back and kept Dish....supposedly Direct tv will be giving away hd-tivos to new customers soon, so ill switch then.
Highly unlikely. Maybe a HD receiver/tivo-like device, but not HD-Tivo. Direct still hasn't been forthcoming about whether or not the HD-Tivos will work when the big switch to MPEG-4 happens later this year in the top 12 markets, and in the next few years for the rest of the markets.
Old 07-15-05, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Highly unlikely. Maybe a HD receiver/tivo-like device, but not HD-Tivo. Direct still hasn't been forthcoming about whether or not the HD-Tivos will work when the big switch to MPEG-4 happens later this year in the top 12 markets, and in the next few years for the rest of the markets.
I realize all that, but im going on speculation from dbstalk...From my experience, alot of their rumors have become true.

If it happens, I bet Direct TV will give one away with a contract and NFL ticket or something. The prices have been steadily dropping on it too.

We'll see I guess.
Old 07-15-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wish wb and upn came in hd on comcast in baltimore.
Old 07-15-05, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i wish wb and upn came in hd on comcast in baltimore.
In DFW on charter, they didnt have UPN or CBS....sucked.

They did have WB which was odd.