Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom Petty box set question

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really wanting a good collection of Tom Petty that is as complete as possible. I'm only seeing this one set "Playback" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
as being the only set of his stuff. Unfortunately it is missing at least one great B-side he did "Girl On LSD" which is an awesome song i used to play on the juke box in a pizza place many years ago.

Is this really the only set out there? Has anyone heard of anything more complete in the pipe for release? And if anyone has this one, would you recommend it for around 45$?
Old 07-11-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have Playback and it's one of the only Box Sets I have that I still play all the time. It's also one of the few that features rare material that's of the same quality as the well known stuff. Great package with a really great book with wonderful liner notes. One of the gems in my collections. AFAIC, it's all the Petty you'll ever need because in my opinion he hasn't released anything worth buying since it was released. I don't know that song but I'm sure you can find it on ITunes or something.
Old 07-12-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar
I have Playback and it's one of the only Box Sets I have that I still play all the time. It's also one of the few that features rare material that's of the same quality as the well known stuff. Great package with a really great book with wonderful liner notes. One of the gems in my collections. AFAIC, it's all the Petty you'll ever need because in my opinion he hasn't released anything worth buying since it was released. I don't know that song but I'm sure you can find it on ITunes or something.
Well i actually do have that cut in mp3 format but i guess my concern was that if that little humorous gem was left out what other stuff i haven't heard might be missing. The discs did look pretty packed though. As for other stuff i did really enjoy Wildflowers and i believe i read it wasn't in this set - something about it being on a different label than his other albums perhaps? Either way thanks for the opinion - i have some used CD shop credit burning a hole in my pocket and it has been between this set and a Johnny Cash one. Fortunately i've wanted this Tom Petty one much longer than the JC. Well, that and the Grateful Dead sets are way out of my price range right now
Old 07-12-05, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=xmiyux]
Has anyone heard of anything more complete in the pipe for release? /QUOTE]

Never thought I'd see that question. This box is one of the more generous and complete sets I've seen out there. Especially for the price. I'm not a huge Petty fan and mostly stick with the first disc, but I'd definitely recommend it.
Old 07-12-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I never listen to the early Petty cds anymore, just this set. The one exception is Long After Dark which every song is great on(IMHO). The only later one I'd get is Wildflowers. 75%good/25% just ok. Get these and you're home free. There are a few good songs on the She's the One soundtrack and a couple on Echo. I just made me a compilation cd of the best of Wildflowers, She's the One & Echo and listen to that.
Old 07-12-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Last DJ was pretty bad. Great sentiment but I'm afraid Petty has written enough great songs and is kind of coasting at this point.
Old 07-12-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Girl On LSD is a Warner Bros song I believe and box set is MCA
Old 07-12-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjim25
Girl On LSD is a Warner Bros song I believe and box set is MCA
Right. Petty switched to WB for Wildflowers. & I think "Girl on LSD" was the b-side to "You Don't Know How It Feels."

I hate boxsets like this where they stick it to everyone. The first 3 discs are only for casual fans/listeners. While the last 3 would really only interest the hardcore fans who already have all the albums. I wish they'd split them up. That said, this does look surprisingly comprehensive. There are 1 or 2 quirkier tracks from each album I own that I wouldn't want to be without (I'm a little surprised "Spike" & "Makin Some Noise" are missing - & the Full Moon Fever album is still great start to finish), but most (if not all) of the important stuff is here.
Old 07-12-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Either way i picked it up this afternoon and have only listened to the first disc so far. Excellent stuff. Having this and Wildflowers should keep me covered for a good long time.
Old 07-13-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazing stuff isn't it? I think Petty is one of America's most underated rocker. I realize he's had a huge amount of acclaim but people tend to place him under Springsteen as far as writing and performing. I personally think he's written as many great songs as Bruce and personally have enjoyed his concerts as much or better than Bruce's.
Old 07-13-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I realize I'm a little late in here, but the box set can be picked up at yourmusic.com for $35.94, free shipping. I considered getting it back when I was a member (I quit when the price went from $4.99 to $5.99 a cd), but passed.