Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

In HD?: The Shuttle Launch

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In HD?: The Shuttle Launch

Will the shuttle lauch be in HD, and if so, where?

D
Old 07-11-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HDNet has it on the schedule for tomorrow night at 8pm EST.
Old 07-11-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
HDNet has it on the schedule for tomorrow night at 8pm EST.
But the launch isn't until 3:51PM on Wednesday...

Tuesday's show is a special report on the mission, but live coverage on HD Net does start at 11AM on Wednesday and runs until 4:30PM. Eastern Standard Time.
Old 07-11-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
But the launch isn't until 3:51PM on Wednesday...

Tuesday's show is a special report on the mission, but live coverage on HD Net does start at 11AM on Wednesday and runs until 4:30PM. Eastern Standard Time.
I was wondering why that was only a half-hour.
Old 07-11-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a problem with smoke, fire and water on my HDTV, and I've heard that is common on "upconverted" signals. I wonder how this would look. (with all the smoke and such.)

Any word on whether DiscoveryHD or INHD will carry/replay it? I don't have HDNet.
Old 07-12-05, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by BassDude
I have a problem with smoke, fire and water on my HDTV, and I've heard that is common on "upconverted" signals. I wonder how this would look. (with all the smoke and such.)

Any word on whether DiscoveryHD or INHD will carry/replay it? I don't have HDNet.
If it's on HDNET, I'm pretty sure it won't be "upconverted", on my cable system original programming on HDNET is some of the best looking HD available.
Old 07-25-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
Coverage starts at 6:00 a.m. EDT 7/26/05

It's back on for tomorrow. 6:00 a.m. EDT.

http://www.hd.net/pressrelease.html?2005-07-21-01.html

Originally Posted by www.hd.net
HDNet's Rescheduled Exclusive HDTV Coverage of Discovery Launch Begins AT 6:00 AM EDT July 26
What: NASA will restart the countdown clock on Saturday, headed for a liftoff of NASA's Space Shuttle Discovery at 10:39 a.m. EDT on Tuesday, July 26. HDNet will be the only U.S. television network to bring viewers entire launch-to-landing coverage in stunning high-definition television.

HDNet has been working closely with NASA for months to upgrade their cameras to 1080i HD and to install new HD cameras and equipment throughout Kennedy Space Center, so that viewers can have an exclusive front-row seat for the pre-flight and boarding routine, the countdown from inside NASA's "firing room," and the historic launch. An HD camera with a special lens will then follow the shuttle as far as 33 miles into the earth's atmosphere.

HDNet will also take advantage of the exclusivity the network has on all HD launch video to repurpose and present unique rebroadcasts of the launch long before other networks are able.

When: Live, uninterrupted coverage begins at 6:00 a.m. EDT on July 26 and continues through the 10:39 a.m. liftoff.

The entire coverage will be repeated on Saturday, July 30 at 11:30 a.m. EDT. HDNet will also be live on location for the landing scheduled for 12 days later.

"Once again, HDNet is leading the way with innovative and exclusive programming for our viewers," said Mark Cuban of HDNet. "While other networks are beholden to business as usual, only HDNet will bring launch-to-landing coverage of the Shuttle Discovery, without talking heads interrupting this historic return to space."

Cuban continued: "HDTV is a completely new entertainment medium and only HDNet tailors programming to the advanced resolution, sound and widescreen picture HD offers. The launch of the Shuttle Discovery will be a thrilling experience on HDNet and we are proud to be partnering with NASA to present it exactly as those at the launch pad will see it."

HDNet provides viewers with exciting and topical news, sports, music and entertainment programming. The network features up to 20 hours of original programming each week, all produced in the highest quality 1080i HDTV format - more original high-definition programming than any other network. HDNet news and entertainment includes original series "HDNet World Report," "Deadline!," "Face 2 Face with Roy Firestone," "Art Mann Presents," "HDNet Concert Series," and "True Music," as well as every episode of the acclaimed Warner Bros. series "Smallville." Live sports productions include NASCAR auto racing, National Hockey League and Major League Soccer games. HDNet Movies, the company's second network, shows a wide selection of major studios' theatrical releases - all uncut, unedited, and appearing in their original aspect ratio. The network also features movies produced and finished in true 1080i high-definition, including movies premiering day and date with their theatrical releases. Co-founded by Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, and General Manager Philip Garvin, the HDNet networks are available on Adelphia, Charter, DIRECTV, DISH Network, Insight, Mediacom, Time Warner Cable and more than 40 NCTC cable affiliate companies. For more information visit www.hd.net.

###
Old 07-26-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very disappointing that my local Comcast HD had no coverage of the shuttle launch. I ended up watching it in standard def on NBC.

As a fairly new HD convert (less than 12 months), I'm continously shocked with the lack of programming. I have no clue how the industry expects "average folk" to shell out the big bucks for a new TV, plus additional monthly costs for HD programming, when the selection of stuff to watch is so pathetic.
Old 07-26-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Very disappointing that my local Comcast HD had no coverage of the shuttle launch. I ended up watching it in standard def on NBC.

As a fairly new HD convert (less than 12 months), I'm continously shocked with the lack of programming. I have no clue how the industry expects "average folk" to shell out the big bucks for a new TV, plus additional monthly costs for HD programming, when the selection of stuff to watch is so pathetic.
Most NBC programing is in hd in my area (even stuff like "dr phil" and the news in baltimore.
Old 07-27-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Most NBC programing is in hd in my area (even stuff like "dr phil" and the news in baltimore.
Are you sure it's not just stretched and upconverted?

HD = 1080i or 720p

I'm pretty sure Dr. Phil is not in HD. Your news might be.
Old 07-27-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Saw this on HDNet.

Very impressive, though it was a bit disappointing to miss a lot of the shots being described by the narrator (from the on-board cameras) while we looked at an empty launchpad or the countdown clock instead.
Old 07-28-05, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fascinating to see all the things that go into just getting them into the cabin and closing the shuttle. All the Shuttle construction and mission control technical stuff is more interesting to me than the actual launch.
Old 07-28-05, 09:28 AM
Banned

I just got my DISH Network HD box a few weeks ago, so I'll watch anything in HD. HDNET's coverage was incredible!
Old 07-28-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I caught it as well.

I think I saw a hairline crack in the heat tile marked "23g-z-47u."
Old 07-28-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BigDave
Are you sure it's not just stretched and upconverted?

HD = 1080i or 720p

I'm pretty sure Dr. Phil is not in HD. Your news might be.
eh, not quite sure (there is surely more space on the sides then on 4x3, but it might be slightly stretched (i know mostly our nbc affilitate plays stuff like dateline, and such shows in widescreen (1080i or 720p i couldn't tell you)
Old 07-28-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrush
Fascinating to see all the things that go into just getting them into the cabin and closing the shuttle. All the Shuttle construction and mission control technical stuff is more interesting to me than the actual launch.
You had to switch to the NASA channel (not HD) to see what he was talking about.

This was some of the best HD I've ever seen. I think HDNet is covering the landing too.