Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Home theater back-light question...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-10-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, I don't know if "back-light" is the right term, but I remember reading something somewhere a while back that mentioned briefly about adding lights behind or on the sides of your television, to shine on the wall behind, I assume to cut down on glare, or something like that. Anyone know what I'm talking about, and if so, can anyone explain a little more about that, and maybe recommend some inexpensive type of lighting to be used in this way?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here you go. Check out the IdeaLume Bias light here. It's pretty much become the standard bias light for HT. I went cheap though and simply bought some clear, rope Christmas lighting and hung it from the back of my Mits. It works for me and my calibrator didn't comment negatively about it.

Old 07-11-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you. That's exactly the information I was needing. Strangely enough, I have the DVE disc, but since I haven't had a chance to fully explore it yet, I either wasn't aware or didn't remember there being anything on bias lighting on it. Guess I'll have to check it out.

If that's your set-up in the pic, it looks like the rope light does a pretty good job. Do you have a dimmer on it, or is it the same brightness all the time?
Old 07-11-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope no dimmer. I have it plugged into the extra outlet on the receiver so when I turn everything on the lights come on instantly. The rubber rope around the lighting comes with clips that I screwed into the edges of the cabinet. It goes up one side, loops around the center and back down the other side. The loop in the center helps shine more light against the back wall while the left and right edges spread the light to the sides. It's not the correct temp but it works for me as I said.
Old 07-11-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately I don't have a cabinet set, so I'd probably have to go with something other than the rope light. Here's my setup. Forgive the caption. I put that on there a while back as a joke:

Old 07-11-05, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I purchased the standard Idealume bias light and plugged it into my receiver. I did not get the model with the dimmer but the standard one is the perfect light balance for my viewing environment. Rather than take screws out of my tv cabinet, I just used some extra strength velcro (tm) tape and slapped it on. It makes a very noticeable difference in my living room and the kids like the wow factor of the glowing television.
Old 07-11-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know that you should have the Idealume plugged into your receiver. Rope lights are one thing, but a fluourescent? That's close to too much power.
Old 07-11-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spiky
I don't know that you should have the Idealume plugged into your receiver. Rope lights are one thing, but a fluourescent? That's close to too much power.
How do you figure? The only problem I can think of powering it through the amp is the inrush current but even that should be negligible.

Last edited by vaporware; 07-11-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-11-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Neat idea...I think I have some rope lighting somewhere around the house. I have a 55" Mits also.

It's like that new fandangled television that the light behind the the TV changes with what is on screen. (Is it Panasonic or something)
Old 07-11-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't looked at Idealume in years, so I don't know the specs offhand. But it's a standard fluourescent fixture, right? I think usually it is recommended to keep large ballasts like this out of the loop of your A/V equipment.

Another thing would be the receiver's outlet. They really aren't meant to handle much power. Mostly just EQs or CD players that have tiny power needs.

I could be wrong, that's why I'm not being my usual vehement self, but I try to keep all lights separate. They always seem to affect the equipment, sometimes even visible onscreen with artifacts. I'd like to keep them off the circuit altogether but I haven't spent the cash for an electrician to put in a dedicated line, although my surge protectors help quite a bit. But I never plug them into the receiver or surge protector.

Rope lighting is a bit different. I might try that at some point and I probably wouldn't mind putting it in the same circuit. Isn't lots of that just LEDs?
Old 07-11-05, 11:55 AM
Retired

I just use a Lava lamp, which you already have.

Light level works pretty well, as long as the motion of the lamp doesn't bother you.
Old 07-11-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you guys notice a big difference in viewing experience with a bias light installed? I've never noticed eye-fatigue, but that link certainly makes sense to me... I'm just wondering how noticable the effect is.
Old 07-11-05, 09:51 PM

The ideal backlighting for an HDTV is 6500K temperature. I bought a 24" bulb at Menards for something like $7, and bought a cheap flourescent housing for it. I happen to have a 4 inch ledge about 4 feet off the ground all the way around the room, which works perfectly to sit it on (it's right in the middle of the screen).

I have it plugged into my receiver so it turns on whenever I run the DVD macro on my remote (which obviously turns on my receiver).
Old 07-11-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
Do you guys notice a big difference in viewing experience with a bias light installed? I've never noticed eye-fatigue, but that link certainly makes sense to me... I'm just wondering how noticable the effect is.
I added white rope lighting above my built in bookcase which is on one of my long walls in the room (screen on the short wall). I can easily turn it on and off. I really think the image has a more 3-D look with it on. Keep in mind I'm using a projector and 94" screen, but would think any TV would be similar.

If I could find some small sized rope lighting, I would even consider putting it around the frame of my screen. But maybe not....
Old 07-11-05, 11:48 PM

I use rope light I bought at Home Depot.
Old 07-12-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been thinking of getting a night light type of light to put on the wall behind my TV. I wonder how well it will work?
Old 07-12-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by renaldow
I've been thinking of getting a night light type of light to put on the wall behind my TV. I wonder how well it will work?
Right now I'm using two rope lights, one above a built in bookcase and the other under the lip of my riser. I put mine on a cheap dimmer ($15.00 mechanical one at Home Depot) as I thought they were a little bright. I don't mess with the dimmer, I have it about 1/2 output and that is where I leave it.
Old 07-12-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just use two standard floor lamps I bought at Ikea. Cost about 20 bucks(two lamps and bulbs). It'll do for now

Mits - 73"
Old 10-16-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok...time to bump and report that I finally got myself a 12' rope light strand at Lowe's last night. My question now is: since I don't really have any kind of cabinet to attach it to, will it hurt if I string it around the back of the TV itself? My concern is it might get too hot for the plastic of the TV, even if I just leave it on for the duration of a movie.

Thoughts?
Old 10-16-05, 07:54 PM

Been thinking of doing the same thing here with my little setup, are there short lengths of rope lighting. I got a 5foot wide ECenter and hoping to get something that size.
Old 10-16-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Slowpc
Been thinking of doing the same thing here with my little setup, are there short lengths of rope lighting. I got a 5foot wide ECenter and hoping to get something that size.
You can cut rope lights to different lengths
Old 10-16-05, 09:12 PM

Ok cool. Thanks for the info, maybe I will run out and get some when I get and get some frames for the posters and artwork.
Old 10-16-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the TV? Most TVs have some pretty heavy lights inside already. I wouldn't think melting would be an issue with a rope light. Certainly not if you can touch the light when hot without burning yourself.
Old 10-17-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I tested it out tonight. Doesn't seem to be presenting any heat problems. It's a little dimmer than I thought it would be, but they look ok, and make a nice glow on the wall behind the TV. Unfortunately, I don't have a decent enough camera to take a picture of it in the dark.

I've got about the same amount of glow as JBDomain posted earlier.