Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Simpsons Season 6 - anyone know where the UPC will be?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As people probably know, Fox has changed the style of the packaging for The Simpsons season 6. In the past there was a piece of paper stuck to the back of the cardboard packaging usually with a single dot of glue that was easy to remove, and this paper had the UPC you could cut out without damaging the packaging or the booklet if you need the UPC for a rebate.

I preordered my season 6 long ago from Coconuts.com with a $10 rebate under the assumption the season 6 packaging would be the same as the previous seasons and I could cut out the UPC without destroying the package. With the new packaging I have no idea where the UPC is and if I'll have to destroy the packaging or cut out valuable parts of the booklet inside (assuming it even has one) to get my rebate.

Does anyone know where the UPC will be on season 6? I have not found anything on the Internet besides pictures of the front of the case.

Also, if I decide to cancel my Coconuts.com order, does anyone who has experience with them (I've never used them before) know how many days in advance of the release date I would need to cancel safely? Thanks.
Old 07-10-05, 06:44 PM

Hopefully the reason nobody has replied is that nobody knows the answer.

I hope as soon as somebody finds out where the UPC is (hopefully somebody will get their hands on an actual copy a bit early) that he/she can post the answer. I looked all over Fox's annoying web site, and they have gone to great lengths not to provide any contact information. The Fox store refuses to let a person send an email unless you have a valid order ID (fake digits don't work).

Also, it would be nice to know how far in advance I would have to cancel from Coconuts.com. All their web page says is "if it hasn't entered the shipping process", but like most FAQs they never say how soon new release orders enter the shipping process because such info would be useful (sorry for the sarcasm... I can't help it). At Amazon it used to be several days before release date. I've emailed Coconuts about this, and we'll see if I get a useful answer.

Last edited by Manzana; 07-10-05 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-10-05, 06:51 PM

Kinda dumb how they changed the style after the first 5 being the same.

It would have been cool to have all of them the same so when you put them on rack, it would look better with all the different colors.
Old 07-10-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree. The new box art is just a giant plastic head, reminiscent of the Star Trek TOS cases. I'll be dumping mine for a custom as soon as I get it.
Old 07-10-05, 07:05 PM

I would be surprised if there weren't some sort of paper insert. Whenever the packaging is expensive(as this appears to be), you almost always see a paper insert because if there is a mistake or problem with the upc code. or proof of purchase, or listing of dvd contents, Fox would have to discard a lot of expensive boxes or paste over them, which isn't cheap either. It isn't true of all expensive packaging, but keep your fingers crossed...
Old 07-10-05, 07:09 PM

Last edited by Manzana; 07-18-05 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-10-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I don't have any answers for you, except to say that this is usually why I don't pre-order anything, even if it saves some money. Esp with any packaging other than a reg case, chances are it'll be a little banged up during shipping. I'd rather pay a little more $$ and have a pristine copy, and B/M makes it easier for returns, etc.. if there's any problems.
Old 07-11-05, 02:09 AM

Last edited by Manzana; 07-18-05 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-11-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Yeah but look at it this way - 25 (classic) Simpsons episodes. If you spend even $30 that's just a little over a dollar an episode, or 22 minutes. Makes spending the extra $$ very easy imo.
Old 07-11-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by misterchimpy
I would be surprised if there weren't some sort of paper insert. Whenever the packaging is expensive(as this appears to be), you almost always see a paper insert because if there is a mistake or problem with the upc code. or proof of purchase, or listing of dvd contents, Fox would have to discard a lot of expensive boxes or paste over them, which isn't cheap either. It isn't true of all expensive packaging, but keep your fingers crossed...
I'm sure it will be either a paper insert or a sticker on the shrink wrap.
Old 07-11-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Manzana
All of this could've been avoided if there had been some information provided somewhere on the Internet or if anyone on DVD Talk had answered this same question I posted at least 3 times in various Coconuts threads. Nothing should be this hard.
On behalf of DVDTalk, I humbly apologize for letting you down.
Old 07-11-05, 06:56 PM

Dude, chill out. I have yet to see a box released in the last year that actually has the Proof of Purchase on the box. Its either on a "glued" false back or on an insert in the back. I also havent seen a place that wont let you photocopy the UPC if that is in fact what they need and its in a place that would destroy the packaging.

Quit getting your panties in a bunch..