Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Wazootyman's Even Stevens FAQ V .21

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wazootyman's Even Stevens FAQ V .21

Ok, this summer I've been getting a whole lot of questions. And when I get these questions, I usually have to go into some long winded explanation of what things do and do not occur.

Of course I am referring to questions about the Disney Channel hit "Even Stevens." People commonly asks me what makes it a uniquely awesome show that I TiVo 16 times a week.

Well, in order to make things easier I'll write a brief FAQ of all the questions I've been asked. Oh, and if you need to cite these piece for a scholarly paper, feel free, just make sure to cite me as "Lord Banananananana"

Q Why is Even Stevens such a delightful show?
A Because Shia LeBouf is quite funny. Things that could be incredibly dull are made entertaining. Have you ever noticed that when the story focuses on a Ren storyline, things become extremely dull and don't move. That's because Ren sucks. Louis is good though. He is good enough to lift the show above crappiness of having a Ren only show. Were this show to be called "Even Steven" and focus only on Ren, it would accomplish two things. One - it wouldn't make much sense, since just what in the heck is that Steven being even with, there's no brother counterweight! And two, it would suck, because as we've established Ren is neither a funny nor interesting character. Sure Ren occasionally allows for comical interludes involving Tom Gribalski, but he can interact with Louis just as well.

Q Has Ren ever done anything funny?
A Yes. In episode #1.5 entitled “All About Yvette,” she kept insisting how she was BFF with Charlotte. But then Charlotte only appeared in one other episode and wasn’t even properly written out of the show. I suppose this isn’t really a funny Ren thing, but it just seemed incredibly ironic, and it must have pissed off Shannon Marshall, who played Charlotte, a good deal.

Q Why does Hilary Duff get so much play when Margo Harshman (who plays Tawny) is a better actress, better looking, and actually has comedic timing?
A This question has puzzled man since at least 2000 when both of their shows debuted. I think nobody shall ever find the solution… maybe if we post it on a blackboard in Massachusetts, some juvenile delinquent janitor will solve it for us. One thing is for certain, Hilary Duff sucks.

Q At what point did the show become acceptable to watch
A Surprisingly, many of the first season episodes were not up to snuff. They had their own elements of goodness, but was definitely lost trying to find a style. For example, in episode #2.11 “Wild Child,” when Louis rides his bicycle, they decided to use some weird tracking shot and green screen that made no sense. Also this episode just painted Louis as an ass, when he is actually a delightful human being.

As a general rule of thumb, after Ren gets her braces off, and Louis’ hair becomes more curly, the show became golden.

Q Does Donnie serve any point?
A No.

Q Is there a more annoying character than Lauren Frost’s Ruby Mendel
A Yes. The initial incarnation of Nelson Minkler as a germaphobe was incredibly annoying. Luckily the writers realized the error of their ways and ameliorated the situation.

However, to answer the question, the character of Beans is incredibly annoying. While that is the intended role of Beans, it’s far overdone. Beans is in 21 of the 65 episodes. That means nearly 1/3 of the episodes are ruined by his complete suckdom. While Ruby may have an annoying faux-New York accent and be a one-note gossip queen character, at least she can be ignored whereas Beans gets thrust into the spotlight far too often. It does not help that Steven Anthony Lawrence (Beans) thinks being his annoying little self qualifies as acting.

Q 65 episodes? Doesn’t that seem a little light?
A Yes. They had really hit their stride in the final season, with episodes such as “In Ren We Trust” and “Hardly Famous.”

Q Could Ren and Larry Beale ever hook up?
A Do dogs like dog food??? (The answer to both is yes!) While Ren and Larry had their differences, and it seemed like Larry always set out to smite Ren in everything she did. This was actually his way of flirting. Plus, both Ren and Larry dislike Louis, that’s something they can bond over!

Q You seem to express a lot of hatred toward the show (at Beans, Ren, Ruby, etc).
A Yes.

Q Christy Carlson Romano originally auditioned for the role of Tawny. How would this have altered the schematics of the show?
A I’m not certain. While Ren is a boring character, she’s played quite well by Romano. Had she earned the Tawny part, it might mean Harshman would not have been cast, which would have been tragic. A tragedy is all I can leave this statement at.

Q Isn’t this show… kind of stupid?
A Yes. However, it’s also insanely entertaining.
Old 07-09-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always liked the show and I agree, down with Beans!
Old 07-09-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Even Stevens was the boon of my life and existence for a while there, and I guess I'm proud to say I've seen all 65 episodes at least once and have the (pretty awful) movie on DVD. So, my responses...!

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
Have you ever noticed that when the story focuses on a Ren storyline, things become extremely dull and don't move. That's because Ren sucks.
I like Ren, but that's partially because Christy Carlson Romano is so ridiculously cute, even though she was like 16 on the show and was playing an eighth grader, which is kind of creepy for someone in their early-to-mid twenties to say. That's okay, though.

Bobby Deaver wasn't good enough for her! He and Mandy "Always Gets Her Man" Sanchez deserve each other!!!!

Q Has Ren ever done anything funny?
Awww...everything that goes wrong with Ren at Zack Estrada's party in "Strictly Ballroom", the overly perky cheerleader of "Wombat Wuv", the giant biscuit baking in "Uncle Chuck", the wistful flashback in "Where in the World Is Pookie Stevens?" (seriously, if the shot of Mr. Pookie wiping the tear from Ren's eye doesn't get a laugh, you have no soul), the tutoring in "Close Encounters of the Beans Kind" ("Why pretzels?" "Because they're salty and chewy and you can dip 'em in mustard! On second thought, how 'bout we just eat some?"), winding up the class clown in "The Big Splash"... Plus I liked "Your Toast" a lot.

The Louis routines were usually better, but it's not like the show grinds to a halt whenever Ren's featured front and center. A lot of my favorite episodes were the ones that veered away from the Louis-A-story-and-the-Ren-B-story structure, like "Duck Soup", "Secret World of Girls", "Where in the World is Pookie Stevens?", and "Broadcast Blues".

As a general rule of thumb, after Ren gets her braces off, and Louis’ hair becomes more curly, the show became golden.
...although there are some solid first season episodes, like "Deep Chocolate" and "Almost Perfect".

Q Does Donnie serve any point?
A No.
Well, there's the inherent comedic value of having a character who's supposed to be in high school but looks like he's in his mid-'30s. Best Donnie episode is "Broadcast Blues". "I put a cornucopia of gas in the car!"

Favorite episodes: "Raiders of the Lost Sausage" (although the Ren half is pretty lame), "Duck Soup", "Secret World of Girls", "Where in the World is Pookie Stevens?", "Broadcast Blues"

Least favorite: "The Big Splash" (the more 'serious' episodes kinda grated), "Heck of a Hannukah", "A Very Scary Story" (thankfully, those last two rarely aired outside of the holidays around which they're centered)

This show really, really needs to come out on DVD.