Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

A question for DISH Network HD 811 owners.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 04:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a possibly dumb question about hooking up the DISH 811 HD receiver. (did some searching, but couldn't find what I was looking for.)

My new 811 receiver is on the way from DISH, but I was just curious. The information off the DISH site says the receiver has 'DVI-HDTV/DISH DVI (DVI-D) and HD Component video outputs'. On my RPTV (Mitsubishi WS-65819) I have two component inputs that say "COMPONENT 480i/480p" (one is being used now by the DVD player), and another component input labeled "DVT (YPrPb/GRBHV) 480i/480p/1080i" which appears to have a total of five inputs (the red, green, blue and two others labeled H and V).

So, my first question is, does the 811 receiver use the DVT component input (I'm assuming this because it's the only one that says 1080i on it), and if so, does it use all five inputs for the video?

Second question is, does that single set of video outputs carry both the HD and SD signal to the TV, or do I have to have another cable for the SD signal (an S-video cable)?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The component output is YPrPb, so on your tv you'd just use the 3 cables and leave H/V empty.
The 811 does both HD and SD over component, it will just upconvert the SD programming to HD, though it won't look any better doing it, so you'll just need to use 1 video input to your tv.
Old 07-07-05, 03:56 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info. I wonder what the H/V inputs are for...?
Old 07-07-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
Thanks for the info. I wonder what the H/V inputs are for...?
RGBHV (red, green, blue, horz, vert). You can hook up a PC to these inputs.