Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

what's up with GITS these days??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-05, 03:27 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's up with GITS these days??

I loved the animated classic Ghost in the Shell back in the day. I have the DVD that was released years ago.

I heard talk of a sequel coming, then that time came and went. I have been to the DVD retailer to see about buying the "sequel" to GITS and am lambasted by all these GITS DVDs! What's going on? Did GITS become a series now? How many GITS movies are there these days? Which one should I buy first to get up to speed?
Old 07-04-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
There are 2 movies:The original and the second which is called Innocence.
There is also Stand Alone Complex which is indeed a series.

Hope that helps you a little.I don't really know anything beyond that because I have only seen the original.
Old 07-04-05, 03:57 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks, that's sufficient Innocence is all I need. I wanted to see the sequel, I'm not up for a series.
Old 07-04-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Before you go out and buy that DVD of Innocence, you should know that the first pressing had an error with the subtitles, where subtitles for the hearing impared was the only subtitle option. A later re-pressing fixed this so that you can view it with normal English subtitles sans references to sounds. Dreamworks will replace your copy if you happen to purchase the defective disc.

More details on this thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402085
Old 07-05-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm willing to bet you'd be more satisfied with the series than Innocense. One criticism of the film is that it's too abstract/out there. The series is pretty traditional in terms of plot.
Old 07-05-05, 03:01 AM

There's also 2nd Gig, the second season of the TV series. Plus a music anthology from Bandai, as well as a couple fan discs on the way. Yikes, that's a lot of Ghost.

All of it's good, if you ask me. Though I'd wait for Manga's UK release of Innocence, instead of buying Dreamworks'. No English dub, and every version has giant subtitles sitting 1/3 up the screen. Manga's UK release will have both a dub and more pleasing subs.

Or just rent the R1.
Old 07-05-05, 07:54 AM
Cool New Member

I might try to catch the series later, maybe rent them or something. There are so many TV shows on DVD now I can't afford them, they're not cheap.
Old 07-19-05, 04:33 PM

Does anyone know when Manga will release a dubbed edition of Innocence?
Old 07-19-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never, since Manga doesn't own the rights to it. Dreamworks does. And no English dub has yet to be created for Innocence, so don't hold your breath.
Old 07-19-05, 06:17 PM

When I watch foreign live action films I prefer the original language, however for my anime I absolutely prefer the dub. It just sores me to watch GITS with the dub and then to turn around and watch Innocence with the subs.

SAC is pretty damn good too. I've only seen the first few DVDs though.
Old 07-19-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by blindrocket
When I watch foreign live action films I prefer the original language, however for my anime I absolutely prefer the dub. It just sores me to watch GITS with the dub and then to turn around and watch Innocence with the subs.
Well, there's an easy solution: watch GITS in original language with subtitles too.

Why the double standard for anime? It's still a movie, and there's still an original language track. Also, saying you aboslutely prefer every anime dub seems a bit overboard, as while I can acknoledge that some English dubs are very good, not all dubs are created equal.
Old 07-19-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by blindrocket
When I watch foreign live action films I prefer the original language, however for my anime I absolutely prefer the dub. It just sores me to watch GITS with the dub and then to turn around and watch Innocence with the subs. .
I am like you, having watched dozens of anime series in dub and not a single subtitled. But, I bit the bullet, borrowed a friend's disc and watched it subtitled and it wasn't any worse than subtitled live-action stuff. You definitely don't want the messed up pressing though, the sound-name are in there and font is huge.
Old 07-20-05, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Never, since Manga doesn't own the rights to it. Dreamworks does. And no English dub has yet to be created for Innocence, so don't hold your breath.
Actually, if region 2 DVDs don't pose a problem for you, Manga is doing a dub for their release of Innocence in Europe. Bless those region-free DVD players.
Old 07-20-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are? Incredible--I had no idea. I stand corrected. Thanks, Chris.
Old 07-21-05, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Tribbey
Actually, if region 2 DVDs don't pose a problem for you, Manga is doing a dub for their release of Innocence in Europe. Bless those region-free DVD players.
Nice. This is the version I'll wait for. Is there a release date scheduled for the DVD?
Old 07-21-05, 01:24 PM

None that I've heard of ... just heard about it from Manga at the Anime Expo.
Old 07-21-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris Tribbey
No and yes .... "dubbing" is disrespectful, period. Take a shot at it and let subtitling mold you. Though, I'll leave those opinions for another thread. Region free on the other hand .. marvelous!!! My next player .. main player .. will be a region free Pioneer or Oppo most likely.

Originally Posted by mifuneral
I'm willing to bet you'd be more satisfied with the series than Innocense. One criticism of the film is that it's too abstract/out there. The series is pretty traditional in terms of plot.
You might be dead on, at least in some respect .. as the film is a bit more obscure/abstract, but I don't necessarily think that makes the experience one to shy away from. I loved GITS and Innocence even more so. It has a good mix of everything one might expect from a modern sci-fi theme. ... and traditional doesn't necessarily translate into better. I haven't seen the series, but at some point plan to dedicate some time to it. In the meanwhile, Innocence is a must see for any serious sci-fi/anime fan. The R1 version floating around is messed up .. as others mentioned, so beware. Thankfully, Dreamworks came through on their exchange program. Even though I have the correctly version, I'm looking forward to the English subbed Japanese R2 release coming up in Sept. I've already pre-ordered one of these LE sets and can't wait.

Last edited by visitor Q; 07-21-05 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-29-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From DVD Vision Japan (http://www.dvdvisionjapan.com)

"Richard Epcar has announced that he will be adapting and directing the English dub of "Ghost in the Shell2-Innocence' as well as perform the voice of Batou.

Mr. Epcar had this to say, "This is going to be big news for anime fans because they all but gave up on a dub of 'Innocence'."

He also informed us that the entire cast of 'Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex' will be reprising their roles in the English Dub.

The cast will begin recording in September.

Major thanks to Richard Epcar for this important news!"
Old 08-29-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Very interesting. For theatrical release as well or just a new DVD I wonder?
Old 08-29-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wayde, you're in luck - not only is there a sequel to "GITS", but IMO it's even superior to the original! In fact, it just may be the best anime ever. As for as I'm concerned, it's up there with "2001" as bar-none one of the greatest sci-fi flicks ever, animated or live action. Visually, intellectually, emotionally... it's so far beyond the typical anime that it's practically a different thing altogether.

The GITS Standalone/Complex series is not at the level on any mark. It's good for what it is, but hardly visionary, even dumbed-down a bit or at least made a great deal more conventional. I like it, but I don't care to own it.
Old 08-29-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steebo777
Very interesting. For theatrical release as well or just a new DVD I wonder?
It's for the European release, although a DVD double-dip over here wouldn't suprise me.
Old 08-29-05, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
The GITS Standalone/Complex series is not at the level on any mark. It's good for what it is, but hardly visionary, even dumbed-down a bit or at least made a great deal more conventional. I like it, but I don't care to own it.
I disagree. GitS: SAC >>>>>>>> Innocence.
Old 08-29-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I disagree as well. Stand Alone Complex dvds have been my most anticipated discs to watch, and I ripped through each one as soon as I had time to dedicate for an entire disc's viewing at once. Hearing from many people that 2nd Gig is even better than the first season makes me giddy with glee.

I actually think that the Stand Alone Complex series makes Innocence even more poignant (and a better film), as you get to see Batou live a life where he doesn't lose the Major and one where he hasn't separated himself from everyone in his life except his dog. The team stays together, they work for each other, they continue to depend on each other for survival--they become a family. All of this is taken away in Innocence (well, not taken away, really, as it never had a chance to happen in that timeline due to the Puppet Master's intervention) and it's sad to see the difference between the basically suicidal Batou of Innocence and the relatively happy Batou of SAC. I love that as a viewer, I have two perfectly realized and "official" timelines for the GitS universe, and each brings a high quality of animation, storytelling and emotional impact to the table. While I think both movies are excellent, I also love that I can watch Section 9 continue to kick ass in Stand Alone Complex.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 08-29-05 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-30-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let me also say that I've only seen Standalone/Complex on Cartoon Channel with the really sucky English dub. I've heard that the original Japanese track doesn't have the same juvenile overtones.

That said, nothing in the series compares to "Innocence".
Old 08-31-05, 07:19 PM
Cool New Member

I have to say that I love SAC. I didn't care too much for the first movie (although it's been so long since I've seen it), and the second movie was just ok. SAC, on the other hand is great, and I have to say that I love the english dub. The US dvds have both the Japanese and English dubs, although they are pretty expensive compared to what you can get the Japansese sets for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.