Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What to do when a CD is lost/destroyed?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-03-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...assuming you actually still want it and didn't do it on purpose.

I just received a copy of Garbage - Version 2.0 that I ordered on ebay, and suffice it to say that it didn't do well in transit. The jewel case and artwork are still reasonably intact, but the CD is cracked beyond repair.

So, assuming that I won't get my money back...which I might...seller has good feedback, I'm trying to decide what to do.

Option 1: Since I have the liner notes and artwork, I'm inclined to just make a CD-R copy of the CD. This would be a no brainer if I actually knew someone who had the CD. Unfortunately, I can't think of a single friend that would, since all of my friends have lousy taste in music (which is to say different from mine). Maybe I could paypal somebody a couple of bucks to send me a CD-R copy.

Option 2: Download .mp3s and convert to .wavs. On the rare occasions that I do this, I'm almost never happy with the sound quality.

Option 3: Watch ebay/half for cheap copies of the CD without the artwork...a time consuming exercise.

Option 4: Suck it up and just buy another copy...then I can post a thread asking what the hell to do with the spare artwork. Hopefully this guy will give me at least some portion of my money back, making this option more palletable.
Old 07-03-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) Do any libraries near you lend out CDs? A lot of the ones around here do.
2)You are obviously downloading from the wrong spot.
3) You already bought it.
4) You already bought it.
5)EMAIL THE SELLER
Old 07-03-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sound advice. I checked the library's online catalog, and no dice. I have done that once for a Sarah McLachlan CD that my girlfriend destroyed. I'm the anal type that's somewhat annoyed by not having a CD with the original artwork, but not so anal that I'd buy it again.

I also agree that I shouldn't have to buy this more than once.

I did email the seller, and given his feedback, I'm fairly optimistic. I paid $3.99 plus $2 shipping, and I asked for a full refund, but I'd be satisfied if I just got the $3.99 back.

Of course, it's worth noting that he shipped it in a regular manila envelope rather than a bubble mailer, which probably would have prevented the damage.

Thanks for humoring me. I'm a dangerous combination of irritated and bored...and mostly just wanted to vent.
Old 07-03-05, 01:54 PM
Retired

I just rebuy. I've only had to replace a couple that got scratched up to the point of not playing by being accidentally dropped or loaned to the wrong person etc.
Old 07-03-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand why you don't go back to the seller and ask for a refund or partial credit.
Old 07-03-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I don't understand why you don't go back to the seller and ask for a refund or partial credit.
Originally Posted by chess
I did email the seller, and given his feedback, I'm fairly optimistic. I paid $3.99 plus $2 shipping, and I asked for a full refund, but I'd be satisfied if I just got the $3.99 back.
Of course I asked for a refund. I was just pondering my options should it not work out.
Old 07-04-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
In your case, I'd
1) ask for a refund from the seller (you already have)
if that didn't work
2) buy it again, not from the same guy

If I lend out a cd to anyone, I'll usually just let them borrow a burned disc. That way if they mess it up, I'm out a cd-r. If I mess it up, which happens rarely, I'll buy it again. This happens less and less since I also record a cd-r for transit. Either that, or use my ipod.
Old 07-04-05, 01:16 AM
Banned

You should be thanking your lucky stars that you're not able to listen to that garbage. (pun intended).
Old 07-04-05, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
You should be thanking your lucky stars that you're not able to listen to that garbage. (pun intended).
And you should read up on what a thread crap is.

On topic, "Version 2.0" is arguably Garbage's best album. It's worth going to a store and paying for if you don't get satisfaction from the eBay seller.
Old 07-04-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
You know, it took me a long time to give Garbage a chance...what with the whole "producer in the band" thing. But the fact is that they've made some really good music.

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
On topic, "Version 2.0" is arguably Garbage's best album. It's worth going to a store and paying for if you don't get satisfaction from the eBay seller.
Agree that it's a terrific album, but I'm on the fence about whether I like it more than their debut album. I'll occassionally buy a CD at a store on release day, but usually just buy used or from BMG. I think I've discovered that my limit is $11.99.

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I just rebuy. I've only had to replace a couple that got scratched up to the point of not playing by being accidentally dropped or loaned to the wrong person etc.
I've rebought a couple as well...before the PC gave me other options. I'm on my second copies of Radiohead-Bends, U2-Rattle and Hum, Siamese Dream, and R.E.M. - Out of Time. I just hate to rebuy a CD that I just bought...and was broken when it arrived.

So far, the guy hasn't emailed me back, but since it's a holiday weekend, I try to be optimistic. If anybody would be willing to mail me a copy to put in my currently useless jewel case, I'd be happy to reimburse postage/CD-R cost...and would be forever in your debt.
Old 07-04-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So far, the guy hasn't emailed me back, but since it's a holiday weekend, I try to be optimistic. If anybody would be willing to mail me a copy to put in my currently useless jewel case, I'd be happy to reimburse postage/CD-R cost...and would be forever in your debt.
No problem. Just e-mail me your address.
Old 07-04-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by automator
No problem. Just e-mail me your address.
You fucking rock.

Hopefully nobody considers this some kind of request for piracy. I do have a legitimate copy of the CD, it's just damn near broken in half.

Regardless, I didn't really think about it at the time and would be happy to delete the thread if any of the mods have a problem. I mostly just wanted to vent because I was bummed.
Old 07-04-05, 02:35 PM
Retired

I've rebought a couple as well...before the PC gave me other options. I'm on my second copies of Radiohead-Bends, U2-Rattle and Hum, Siamese Dream, and R.E.M. - Out of Time. I just hate to rebuy a CD that I just bought...and was broken when it arrived.
I'm a stickler for having the actual cd.

In your case, I'd keep after the seller, and if it doesn't work out leave negative feedback and send an e-mail to ebay.
Old 07-04-05, 05:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Elldubtoo, there are some guidelines as to the expected kind of behaviour within these forums that I've posted in one of the threads stuck atop this forum.

It would be as well that you read it and abide by the suggestions contained therein if you have any intention of fitting in and remaining part of the DVDTalk community....

--
Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk