Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

definiition of Imax please

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would someone please tell me what IMAX films are and if I can play them on my
large screen tv?

Thanks in advance

Randy
Old 07-02-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Imax is, in essence the name of a company. They produce films for their theaters, which are large size theaters about 6 or 7 stories tall with incredible sound. They use I believe a 70mm format.

Yes, you can play IMAX films on your home system, because they release the IMAX films on DVD. But, keep in mind, there's no difference between an IMAX film on DVD then anything else on DVD. They have some very good documentaries, but the real appeal of IMAX is its enormous screen and incredible sound, something you can't take home.

In the end, IMAX is really a big giant theater. They can play anything that is formatted to the IMAX 70mm format, from Hollywood films to their own documnetaries and programs.

Go to www.imax.com for listings of their currently playing films, and I'm sure their DVDs. Keep in mind though, while you can play IMAX films at home, the appeal is in their theaters so you're not really getting the IMAX experience at home.
Old 07-02-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
Thanks for your quick reply. I am interested in the documentaries but VIDEOTROPIC has a blurb stating that HARRY POTTER 4 will be on IMAX concurrent with its theatrical release. My granddaughter is a potty Potter fan.
Old 07-02-05, 08:46 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Randy810
Thanks for your quick reply. I am interested in the documentaries but VIDEOTROPIC has a blurb stating that HARRY POTTER 4 will be on IMAX concurrent with its theatrical release. My granddaughter is a potty Potter fan.
Imax is a theatrical format, not a home video format. it does not affect DVD in any way. many features, such as Harry Potter 4 are conformed to be exhibited in Imax theaters to take advantage of their uniquely immersive presentation. the DVD release of these features will be the same as others.
Old 07-03-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was going to post a link to the imax web page, but it does a crap job of xplaining the technology.

Imax uses larger film a better image and runs the film at a faster rate for more fluid motion. You watch it on a screen the size of a house(a big house) that pulls you into the movie much better than any type of theatre.

D
Old 07-03-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I saw a film about it years and years ago. Doesn't the film also pass through the projector sideways?
Old 07-03-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yep, goes through sideways. Also, the reels are so big that it takes more that 2 for a feature film. Which is why a lot of Imax 'movies' are really shorts.

Here's a good explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX