Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saraband, Ingmar Bergman releases his last motion picture

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-05, 05:58 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just came back from a screening tonight. Bergman (age 86) has announced this will be his final film. And to his credit, he is riding the crest of technology by shooting his feature in HD. further, he is disallowing any 35mm prints to be made for distribution, requiring that it only be projected digitally.

if you're not familiar, Saraband reunites Marianne and Johan from Scenes From A Marriage, 30 years after their last meeting. Bergman has crafted a bleak examination of hate, love, loss, and grief in the context of family bonds. i'm speechless at the moment. i'll post more once i've had a chance to digest what i've seen.
Old 07-01-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Didn't he say that about Fanny & Alexander?

So, you're saying that it was a feel-good, leave your brain at the door, popcorn movie?
Old 07-01-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Can't wait to see this. Apparently the film was made back in 2003, and for TV. Here's a review (assuming it's OK to post a link):

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=55911

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 07-01-05 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-01-05, 12:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
Didn't he say that about Fanny & Alexander?
yes. he's made the claim on a few occassions. however, at 86 it's likely to stick this time.

Originally Posted by slop101
So, you're saying that it was a feel-good, leave your brain at the door, popcorn movie?
as a matter of fact, this turned out to be a rather straight forward drama (so no brain required) where the pain was balanced by quite a few laughs (feel good), culminating in a touching moment of compassion and shared vulnerability (feel good). lastly, my girlfriend and i bought a medium popcorn.

BTW, here's a story from the screening. a woman's cell phone goes off, about a dozen people around her audibly groan. then, SHE ANSWERS IT! almost instantly, someone shouts "put it away!". she doesn't. then, a guy behind her leans forward and says, "Put it away OR I'M GONNA TAKE IT, AND BREAK IT!!!" she ended the call immediately.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 07-01-05 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 11:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
Just came back from a screening tonight. Bergman (age 86) has announced this will be his final film. And to his credit, he is riding the crest of technology by shooting his feature in HD. further, he is disallowing any 35mm prints to be made for distribution, requiring that it only be projected digitally.
which I have to say helped, I'm easily distracted by the cigarette holes (reel changes).

Interestingly, the Landmark theatres here in DC, the E Street location had a sign up detailing that this was a digital projection presentation and that there are no previews/ads before the movie. Bethesda didn't, making for some disgruntled latecomers who wandered into the movie after it had started.

As for the film. I thought the acting was top notch, however, comparing this to even say "Scenes from a Marriage" I found it lacking. Not Bergman's best, but not a complete dissappointment. I'd give it a B