Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Veronica Mars" on DVD

From TVshowsondvd

No extras
Before season 2
Old 05-02-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might buy this blind based on all the good stuff I read about this show here.
Old 05-02-05, 03:51 PM
Banned

Excuse my ignorance on the subject matter on this show, but what's it about. I know, I know...use .

Nevermind, after checking the official site, I can pretty much say with all certainty that I wouldn't be interested.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 05-02-05 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Nevermind, after checking the official site, I can pretty much say with all certainty that I wouldn't be interested.
Your loss. It's a great show, the closest thing to a worthy Buffy successor that any network has yet come up with.
Old 05-02-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts
I am disappointed with no extras, but they are hoping a dvd release will draw more interest in the show and therefore higher ratings. The show is one of the lowest rated shows on tv. They need to do this if they want to have a third season. They are hoping for results similar to the increase in viewers in the second season of 24 after the first season was released before the second season premiered. They have to start pressing the dvds now so they can be ready for the fall. It think that it would also be hard to get Kristen Bell in now to do commentary anyway because she is shooting a movie overseas. I will buy the dvd just based the quality of the episodes. If they release a set with extras later on I will buy it and try to sell the other set. This set that they are releasing now better be widescreen with high quality audio and video.
Old 05-02-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

they should release it with whatever packaging they're going to use, leaving one space free for a extras disc..and since they won't have time for the disc..include a paper insert to mail away for it ..1 or 2 months after the release date..even if they charge a little less for the set, and a little for the extras disc..would seem like a way to satisfy everybody...seems like a good idea to me..but i'm sure they wouldn't do that, and just put some extras for the second season..
Old 05-02-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think this is the best for the show. Getting the DVD out before season 2 starts is the best way to get new viewers, so I understand about no extras. My friends are all batshit in love with this show, but I haven't been able to watch as its timeslot is in conflict with something I am way addicted to. This will give me a chance to see what the fuss is about.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-02-05 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Extras or no, they can count on my money. My favorite show of the season by far.
Old 05-02-05, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Your loss. It's a great show, the closest thing to a worthy Buffy successor that any network has yet come up with.
Well, I was never a big Buffy fan, so that pretty much explains that.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 05-02-05 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy?
They need to do this if they want to have a third season.
Third season? They're just skipping a second season entirely?

I can live without extras so long as the episodes get nice anamorphic widescreen transfers. My cable system doesn't carry UPN in HD yet, and the 4:3 standard-def broadcast looks very cramped (and terrible picture quality).
Old 05-03-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will be buying this set no matter what, but personally I would rather have it released in november/december if it ment getting the extras.
Old 05-03-05, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bring it on, bring it on, yeah!

das
Old 05-03-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A blind buy for me.
Old 05-03-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Third season? They're just skipping a second season entirely?
They've already got a second season ordered, and if they want to continue to a third season, they need to get viewers to tune in for season two when it starts.
Old 05-03-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
I can live without extras so long as the episodes get nice anamorphic widescreen transfers. My cable system doesn't carry UPN in HD yet, and the 4:3 standard-def broadcast looks very cramped (and terrible picture quality).
Same here.
Old 05-03-05, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I'll be buying this no matter what. Hopefully this will help turn on new viewers to the show!
Old 05-03-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDan
They've already got a second season ordered, and if they want to continue to a third season, they need to get viewers to tune in for season two when it starts.
Did they order a full second season? I would be very surprised if they ordered more than the first half of the season. I love the show, but it is one of the lowest rated series on television. It is a great demonstration of faith that UPN renewed them, but my fear is that the ratings won't improve and they'll be forced to cancel the show mid-way through the season, leaving a number of plot threads dangling. I would almost rather that they resolve all of the current plotlines in the first season finale (which seems to be the plan anyway) and call it a day, leaving it as a perfect, self-contained entity.
Old 05-03-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I might buy this blind based on all the good stuff I read about this show here.
Yeah, I was thinking this too, I don't know a single person that watches this show. The premise doesn't sound like my thing & even though the star is older than me, it just sounds like a kids show. But she is hot though, & there does seem to be a hell of a lot of praise for the show.
Old 05-03-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
I don't have a UPN station, but everything I've heard about "Veronica Mars" makes it sound like it's right up my alley. I'll pick up the DVD blind.
Old 05-03-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did they order a full second season? I would be very surprised if they ordered more than the first half of the season. I love the show, but it is one of the lowest rated series on television. It is a great demonstration of faith that UPN renewed them, but my fear is that the ratings won't improve and they'll be forced to cancel the show mid-way through the season, leaving a number of plot threads dangling. I would almost rather that they resolve all of the current plotlines in the first season finale (which seems to be the plan anyway) and call it a day, leaving it as a perfect, self-contained entity.
The official word didn't say how big the pick-up was, though it's certainly unusual to only get a half-season pick-up in a second season. If the ratings aren't there, they can always shut down production along the way rather than keeping the show in potential limbo, stopping at episode 13 (and potentially not doing a season-long story arc again) and waiting to make the decision on the rest of the season.

Of course, then they'll replace it with something that gets similar or worse ratings.

Everything on UPN is one of the lowest rated shows on television. Other than America's Next Top Model and WWE Smackdown, I don't think they have anything in the Top 100 shows. And even those two shows are out of the Top 75.

Given their track record at generating audiences, UPN would probably be better off riding out a full season even if the ratings never improve.
Old 05-03-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
great news
Old 05-14-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't like Buffy when I tried to watch and didn't get the appeal. And this show VM just seeing what it's about I would never want to watch it. I did just happen to catch the pilot though and I love the show. One of my favorite shows period. So for those of you in the same boat as me, give it a try.
Old 05-14-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
The premise doesn't sound like my thing & even though the star is older than me, it just sounds like a kids show.
It definitely is not a "kids" show, and the show doesn't play that idea up either, but I could understand where a glance at the the premise and promotional material might yield that conclusion. As for its low ratings, if I were UPN I would keep ANY show that people are least talking about (considering I can name about zero of their other shows). What would they replace it with, another hip black family comedy?
Old 05-14-05, 01:13 AM

Love the show, it hooked me in as soon as I started watching about half way through the season. Must buy for me on a dvd release. Also a reason WB and UPN have low ratings is because not everyone gets them unlike ABC CBS NBC and Fox. I get upn but the picture isn't that great watchabe but i don't tape and keep it like most shows i watch.
Old 05-16-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't get UPN...Not sure how this works but our Fox affiliate shows some of the UPN shows late Sunday night/early Saturday morning. Series Finale of Enterprise and Season finale of VM weren't on here until last night.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.