Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

do I need to buy the warranty twice?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to get the same big screen dlp I already have for another room. I bought the $300 warranty on the first one. I hate to give that for another one since I will probably never use it. If something did go wrong with the second tv, would they be able to tell which tv the warranty is on? My warranty only has the model number on it, not the serial number. It might sound dishonest, but since the tv went down $900 two months after I bought it, I don't feel like anyone is getting ripped off.
Old 06-28-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

People do that all the time withthe stuff they buy at Best Buy. I think that it depends on the store, but I don't think that you will have a problem with using the warrenty on either TV.
Old 06-28-05, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by tjr2mental
People do that all the time withthe stuff they buy at Best Buy. I think that it depends on the store, but I don't think that you will have a problem with using the warrenty on either TV.
Unless they look at the serial number.

RichC
Old 06-28-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdclark
Unless they look at the serial number.

RichC
Yeah, that's what I was going to say. On the few occasions I've actually bought the extended warranty, the serial # was always noted.
Old 06-28-05, 02:18 PM

The thing is with tv's there is no serial number that is on record. At least that is how it is at Best Buy. I would know, I worked in home theater for the past two and a half years.
Old 06-28-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Well, if they note the serial number on your NEW TV purchase, you're probably going to be in trouble...but if they don't note it, probably not. This probably happens so rarely (people buying the exact same TV again before the warranty on their old set runs out) that Best Buy doesn't worry about it very much...
Old 06-28-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I've never had a serial number recorded on TV purchases from BB. As long as it is the same model/brand, I don't see how they could ever know.
Old 06-28-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't be too sure about that. SN is generally required for all extra warranties. They don't have to open the box and look at the back of the TV, you know.

Whether even one warranty is worth it is another question.
Old 06-29-05, 10:29 AM

Lets make this easy.... What store did you buy the warrenty from?
Old 06-29-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
When I worked at Circuit City, I delt with warranty claims all the time. Here's how they are SUPPOSED to work: Salesman sell you Tv with warranty and a pick ticket prints in warehouse for the worker to get it for you. Worker scans ticket with your purchase (and warranty) then scans the barcode on the product to make sure the items are the same. The serial number is scanned as well to match the seriel number to your warranty and to take the proper tv out of inventory. When you make a warranty claim. all numbers should match.

Good Luck.
Old 06-29-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The thing is with tv's there is no serial number that is on record. At least that is how it is at Best Buy. I would know, I worked in home theater for the past two and a half years.
Yet strangely, you are wrong.

In any event, a warranty covers a single item. You may get lucky (especially with an at-home warranty where the service guy probably won't check the number), but you'll most likely get screwed.
Old 06-29-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know that I'd call it getting screwed if he's trying to rip off BB.

Unless you mean for buying the warranty in the first place. On anything with no moving parts, you get screwed. Now, for a VCR it used to be worth it. Til they became cheaper than the warranty.
Old 06-29-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh

In any event, a warranty covers a single item. You may get lucky (especially with an at-home warranty where the service guy probably won't check the number), but you'll most likely get screwed.
How is he wrong? I worked in BB as well and they've never recorded any serial numbers for any large purchases I've made along w/ a warranty.

Again, I think if you buy the exact same TV that you purchased originally, you will be fine.
Old 06-30-05, 11:59 AM

Thanks for all the replys, I am talking about best buy, so I think I will be okay. I don't feel I am trying to rip them off. I am putting the tv in a room I will almost never use. The only way I would have to use the warranty is if the tv was a total lemon to begin with. I have probably bought about 30 warrantys from bb in my lifetime and never used any of them.
Old 07-01-05, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh

Ok, tell ya what... Why don't you show me where they get the serial number for a tv, and where it is recorded at the point of sale. I am not wrong, like I said, I worked home theater for over two years. I know what I am talking about. If you would like I can scan my warrenty paper for my 55" mitsu, and we will see if you can find a serial number on it anywhere. What do they do if it is a delivery? Not like they have the serial number for the tv that you will get from the warehouse sitting in the store for them to input into the computer.

Yes, a warrenty covers a single item, but in the case of tvs.. there is no record of the serial number.

Some people, even when they know that they are full of shit, still think that they are right.
Old 07-01-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do they do if it is a delivery? Not like they have the serial number for the tv that you will get from the warehouse sitting in the store for them to input into the computer.
With a delivery, the delivery company reports back to the store what serial # of TV they delivered and where. Goods like TV's and other electronics are tracked by their serial #'s for shipping purposes. They just don't get X amount of the same TV and deliver them, they have to track the serial #'s of each product and where it went. This is done for insurance and inventory purposes.

When I had to sign the bill of lading for my plasma when it was delivered, the serial # was right there next to the description of the item.

I'm not arguing with you about what BB does inhouse, you worked there for 2 years and not me. I would find it odd that BB does not note the serial # of the TV sold to you since it is encoded to the unique barcode on that item. This is why electronics like TV's have a stickered barcode and not one that is printed on the box.

It's also odd, because when I bought a Sony Wega there a few years ago (with an extended warranty) the guy in the TV department told me to make sure the serial # on the TV matched the one on the box since that was the # they would have on file for the warranty; and sometimes the wrong sticker was put on the wrong box and didn't match the TV.