Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal dumbs down for re-releases of E.T., Cape Fear, and Meaning of Life 08.23.05

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Universal dumbs down for re-releases of E.T., Cape Fear, and Meaning of Life 08.23.05

Old 06-28-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Davis DVD

Universal Single-Disc Reissues

A few Universal titles will be pared down for upcoming reissues. Look for Cape Fear (1991), Monty Python's The Meaning of Life and E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial all on August 23rd, with the latter two being released as single disc editions. So get the current special editions if you've been putting them off

Same set up as Legend i would imagine. I wonder which version of E.T. we will get this time around.
Old 06-28-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
With E.T., I imagine it will be the 20th Anniversary edition, as that was on the first disc.

I'm kind of surprised to see it coming back so soon. I thought Spielberg liked to limit this more.
Old 06-28-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I better get my ass to Wal-Mart since I can get the Cape Fear: CE for $8.88...
Old 06-28-05, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I held off on the last E.T. release because I hated the packaging. I may pick this one up.

-JP
Old 06-28-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

better funny packaging than walkie talkies
Old 06-28-05, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
Tru dat.
Old 06-28-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
What was the problem with the Meaning of Life set? I remember there was something, is there a way to tell the fixed discs?
Old 06-28-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I may have no choice but to get the 1 disc of E.T. What stores, if any, still has this? BESIDES ebay
Old 06-28-05, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I ask why this is dumbed down? With any sort of business hat on, surely it makes sense to release a title at a reduced price, so that they might squeeze all possible revenue out of it. Ok, so its bereft of features, but as we say here in the UK, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Special editions = special price. Seems quite simple to me.
Old 06-28-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 06-28-05, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I may have no choice but to get the 1 disc of E.T. What stores, if any, still has this? BESIDES ebay
Our Borders stores still carries E.T. in both WS and FS editions. Bought a copy for my daughter last week thinking that it was the last one in town - they got 3 more copies in yesterday. However, it did not show up on their computer as being in-stock, which is weird.

Also check mall stores (FYE, Suncoast, etc.) - I've seen a couple copies there, but almost always FS.
Old 06-28-05, 09:51 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Well I better get my ass to Wal-Mart since I can get the Cape Fear: CE for $8.88...
Good choice, but strictly speaking, it looks like there's no rush--it appears only E.T. and THE MEANING OF LIFE are being pared down...according to the update, CAPE FEAR's reissue will still be the original 2-disc Collector's Edition.
Old 06-28-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by vedderstapp
May I ask why this is dumbed down? With any sort of business hat on, surely it makes sense to release a title at a reduced price, so that they might squeeze all possible revenue out of it. Ok, so its bereft of features, but as we say here in the UK, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

The Cape Fear and Meaning of Life Special Editions currently retail for $14.95 and are readily available for less than 10 bucks. How much lower could they go? I don't expect that Universal will be reducing the price for these at all... just removing features.
Old 06-28-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by vedderstapp

Except that Cape Fear and The Meaning of Life are already being sold at a reduced price. You can get both of them at Wal*Mart for $8.44 right now. Of course Universal saves money by dropping the extra disc, but I doubt they'll get much cheaper than they already are.
Old 06-28-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing that is kinda weird is single disc releases that come out eventually get a 2-disc release and 2-disc releases that come out get trimmed down to a single disc release. I wish they'd pick one or the other.
Old 06-29-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what Joe said is right on....if you have been on the fence with any of these, might as well grab them at a low price. a two pack with the the original and 91 cape fear is also floating around for around 20 bucks...
Old 06-30-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From Davis DVD

Universal Single-Disc Reissues

A few Universal titles will be pared down for upcoming reissues. Look for Cape Fear (1991), Monty Python's The Meaning of Life and E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial all on August 23rd, with the latter two being released as single disc editions. So get the current special editions if you've been putting them off

Same set up as Legend i would imagine. I wonder which version of E.T. we will get this time around.
Ah, crap. I was tempted to get Cape Fear at some indeterminate time. Good movie, though not a favorite. So now I have a deadline if I want the two-disc set. And not sure if I really want to get it. Lovely.

--THX
Old 06-30-05, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Ah, crap. I was tempted to get Cape Fear at some indeterminate time. Good movie, though not a favorite. So now I have a deadline if I want the two-disc set. And not sure if I really want to get it. Lovely.

--THX
read it again. Cape Fear will remain a 2 disc set, probably just a rerelease, only E.T. and monty python are being stripped down.
Old 06-30-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That's not what The Digital Bits reported yesterday:

Universal will also release single-disc versions of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Cape Fear (1991) and Monty Python's The Meaning of Life on 8/23
Old 06-30-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although I understand the concept of creating a one disc release for those people who just want the movie, I don't quite see the point of eliminating the two disc version for those who still want it. To avoid confusion? Well, that's why there's a back cover and why there can be a banner or something that indicates "special two disc edition," or whatever.
Old 06-30-05, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Although I understand the concept of creating a one disc release for those people who just want the movie, I don't quite see the point of eliminating the two disc version for those who still want it. To avoid confusion? Well, that's why there's a back cover and why there can be a banner or something that indicates "special two disc edition," or whatever.
retailers probably don't want to carry 2, 3 or 4 versions of the same movie, taking up precious shelf space. They probably would rather just carry the version that has the potential to sell best, which in most cases is also the cheapest.
Old 07-01-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yellowbedwetter
retailers probably don't want to carry 2, 3 or 4 versions of the same movie, taking up precious shelf space. They probably would rather just carry the version that has the potential to sell best, which in most cases is also the cheapest.
True, but what about when studios release full screen and widescreen versions of movies? There is no full screen version of Meaning of Life or Cape Fear, so it would only be two editions in those cases. And in the case of ET, well...Universal seems to have no problem flooding the market with approximately eight versions of each American Pie movie, so it seems unlikely that they would care too much about cluttering up shelves with ET (though it was supposed to go out of print entirely...).

So bascially, while I agree that that's a likely reason, I still don't see the harm in keeping the 2-disc versions intact and in print (except to make them sought-after, I guess).
Old 07-01-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowbedwetter
Especially when the Meaning of Life DVD currently out is in a single disc case. I mean really, is Joe Sixpack going to want the "movie only" version of THIS movie which is currently selling for about $8 for the SE? Jeez man, just open the case and throw the extra DVD away!

BTW if anyone hasn't picked this SE up yet, you better get it now!!!!
Old 07-01-05, 11:18 AM

The latest courtesy of davisdvd.com:

Universal has just sent us some interesting news regarding the upcoming single-disc re-release of E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial. Even though this edition shaves off some of the better extras from the two-disc set, including the full-length documentary, it will add an isolated track featuring John Williams' famous score. This track is exclusive to this release. The rest of the disc features the 2002 cut of the film in 1.85 anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS ES Surround tracks, "The Reunion: E.T.'s Family and Friends" and "Behind-the-Scenes with Composer John Williams" featurettes, E.T.'s Interactive Space Tour, the trailer, production photos and concept drawings. Look for this E.T. on August 23rd with a retail $19.98.
Old 07-01-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow...this is going to piss some people off....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.