DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Apex Vs. Phillips

Old 06-25-05, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apex Vs. Phillips

I have an older Apex AD-800 and its working great (had it for about 4+ years). Thinking of buying the Phillips DVP 642 - because I heard great things about it - it's only $60 AND it plays DIVX files. Any thought about this choice? I don't have tons of Divx files, but it would be cool to be able to play them on my HT system.

However, Apex has been a workhorse, and plays most of what I throw at it.

Also, Don't need the built in decoder on the AD-800.

Anyone have either player and could help out, that would be great!

Last edited by DVDguy123; 06-25-05 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-26-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Phillips and have had it for over half a year, and so far it has performed exceptionally. It does a great job with Divx files, mpeg etc. It is also easy to hack to region free and does proper pal conversion. I haven't had any problem with dvds, both burned and unburned. It is worth the money IMO. Especially if you watch a lot of divix files.

For example I have Arrested Development S2 in divix, and the picture quality very very close to dvd quality, and this is on an HDTV to. If I didn't love the show so much, I wouldn't buy the second season when it comes out.

I also have an Apex AD3201, and that is a well built player that has been abused, many hits, many times left out in a car all day in 90+ or freezing weather and it will still play fine.