Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Okay, is War of the Worlds doomed?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Has Tom Cruise doomed War of the Worlds
Yep
15.67%
Nope
66.42%
You don't know the history of moviegoer psychology, I do!
17.91%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Everyone keeps making the argument that people will see a good movie regardless of who is in it or who made it. However, I think that is bunk. I have seen many good movies fail and crap movies make it big.

A lot of the early buzz is that WotW is a good popcorn movie and on the level of Jurassic Park. However, Tom Cruise's press for this movie has not been that good as of late and he seems to be turning many people against him. I will still see WotW but only because it is directed by Steven Spielberg certainly not because of him. However, I think a lot of people might see it differently. Hell, what made him the ultimate expert on the history of psychology all of a sudden?

In his defense, I will say that whenever he goes out to promote the movie, what winds up happening is more or less a questionnaire about him and Katie and the world of scientology. In short, they are poking and prodding him to get him to react, and he is reacting.

EDIT: I'm sure the movie will play well overseas!

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 06-24-05 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-24-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
However, Tom Cruise's press for this movie has not been that good as of late and he seems to be turning many people against him.
Seeing him on the Today show this morning convinced me more than ever that Cruise has gone over the deep end with this Scientology BS. He came off ridiculous in his interview with Matt Lauer, touting himself as an expert in the history of drugs and pyschology. Plus his defense of his bushwacking Brooke Shields was just as repulsive. I could see in my mind Spielberg cringing at everything coming out of his mouth.

However, I don't think the film is doomed. It will make quite a bit of coin, though I don't see it as being some huge record-breaker. I predict in the 250-260 million dollar range, perhaps slightly more.
Old 06-24-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, there was a thread about Mr. and Mrs. Smith being doomed and since that was pretty much the opposite, I'd have to go with no.
Old 06-24-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
Seeing him on the Today show this morning convinced me more than ever that Cruise has gone over the deep end with this Scientology BS. He came off ridiculous in his interview with Matt Lauer, touting himself as an expert in the history of drugs and pyschology. Plus his defense of his bushwacking Brooke Shields was just as repulsive. I could see in my mind Spielberg cringing at everything coming out of his mouth.

However, I don't think the film is doomed. It will make quite a bit of coin, though I don't see it as being some huge record-breaker. I predict in the 250-260 million dollar range, perhaps slightly more.

Would you like to wager on your prediction? Before Cruise's antics I was thinking it would be lucky to break $200 million, but with it I believe $150 miilion is a safer bet.
Old 06-24-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Well, there was a thread about Mr. and Mrs. Smith being doomed and since that was pretty much the opposite, I'd have to go with no.
It pains me to say this, But I agree with Popcorn on all marks here.

You have everyone interested in Tom right now. You also have it opening on the weekend of Fourth of July sort of holiday. There is no way that this wont make a big bang for the release. Crazy or not. people will want to watch this.
Old 06-24-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have reserved Dianetics at my local library to see what in the world scientology is all about. I find it interesting that L. Ron Hubbard was at a sci-fi writers convention and said "You know, the real money is in religion," and then a year later scientology was around. (This might be urban legend, but I heard that he did say that.)
Old 06-24-05, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I do know some people who won't watch this movie because of him, I doubt most people really give a crap about that stuff. This is a big film, it looks great, reviews so far are quite positive (what few I've read). I don't think the Cruise factor will make too much a difference. This film ain't Gigli.

But it's hard to call...with regards to Mr and Mrs Smith, it's funny, because the very thing that thread said might hurt the movie, in fact helped it. So who knows.
Old 06-24-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Tom is an arrogant nut but I'll still see WotW.
Old 06-24-05, 07:59 PM

uld you like to wager on your prediction? Before Cruise's antics I was thinking it would be lucky to break $200 million, but with it I believe $150 miilion is a safer bet.
Sure! Could be fun.

I used to like Tom Cruise. I think he's a good actor. But over the last 3 weeks, and especially after his interview with Matt Lauer this morning, I've lost a ton of respect for him. He's just more wacko than I ever thought he was. Then again, I never knew him. The only time he's come off looking good in the last month is when he was squirted with water.
Old 06-24-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont wanna see this movie in the worst way,BUT im not going to let Tom ruin it for me,im going to see this because of Speilberg and it look's like a fun popcorn flick,I would pay 20 bucks for 1 ticket if Tom wasnt in this film,after this I will not pay to see another Cruise Film,sorry MI:3 but I will pass.
Old 06-24-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honestly? I have no interest in seeing War of the Worlds. It looks pretty lame.
Old 06-24-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nah, I doubt Cruise's offscreen theatrics will have any impact on the movie's gross.
Old 06-24-05, 08:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to WotW more because of Spielberg than any of the stars.
Old 06-24-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
No. But if WotW isn't a success, he'll get the blame.
Old 06-24-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

not doomed... here's the one reason why it will be huge: SPIELBERG. I don't care if he did this movie with an all midget cast, it is Spielberg doing a big blockbuster with ALIENS... enough said.

MATT
Old 06-24-05, 09:26 PM

Yeah, and it is coming out 4th of July weekend.

Even if TC's craziness hurts the box office, this film will still have an insanely huge weekend. Whether it can reach mega blockbuster status is up in the air, but I'd be pretty confident in saying this will be Tom Cruise's highest grossing movie of his entire career, with or without his nuttiness. It only needs to make 200 US, or 500 worldwide to get there. yes, that's big money, but I think this'll sail right past those figures and give TC his biggest hit.
Old 06-24-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
not doomed... here's the one reason why it will be huge: SPIELBERG. I don't care if he did this movie with an all midget cast, it is Spielberg doing a big blockbuster with ALIENS... enough said.

MATT

I was going to make a pithy "Tom Cruise who?" comment, but that one trumps mine. This is Spielberg all the way baby.
Old 06-24-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Doomed? It will probably wind up being the second biggest hit of the summer, next to ROTS.
Old 06-24-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
Sure! Could be fun.

I used to like Tom Cruise. I think he's a good actor. But over the last 3 weeks, and especially after his interview with Matt Lauer this morning, I've lost a ton of respect for him. He's just more wacko than I ever thought he was. Then again, I never knew him. The only time he's come off looking good in the last month is when he was squirted with water.

Okay then, got any OOP DVDs you want to wager, or maybe some you don't care if you part with? Why not have some fun?
Old 06-24-05, 09:40 PM
Retired

Won't effect it in the least.

Just as dumb and idea as the thread suggesting Mr. and Mrs. Smith was doomed because people wouldn't see it b/c of the rumors that it was the reason Brad and Jen got divorced.

People don't care about that kind of stuff. Maybe if the star was convicted of raping and murdering a child people would stay home. But the star acting a little nutty on Oprah and the Today show will have no effect. Hell, the biggest chunk of money for this movie will probably come from the 25 and under crowd, most of whom don't watch Oprah and the Today show and at worst heard about his antics on E or something.
Old 06-24-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Won't effect it in the least.

Just as dumb and idea as the thread suggesting Mr. and Mrs. Smith was doomed because people wouldn't see it b/c of the rumors that it was the reason Brad and Jen got divorced.
Dude, I'm just doing this as a form of self-amusement and half-way out of jest. FWIW, our opinions on this forum don't amount to a hill of beans in the real world. I just like to get the opinions of a bunch of people I have something in common with on a subject and/or question I find of interest.

I would never intend for these polls to be a true guage of anything other than curiousity.
Old 06-24-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The nutty promosexual aside, this film will make a ton of money.

As previously mentioned this is Spielberg doing a nasty alien take.

I understand this has a 'Saving Private Ryan' tone and feel, albeit in the SF genre.

I'm VERY curious.

I'll be there on the 29th.
Old 06-24-05, 10:25 PM

Okay then, got any OOP DVDs you want to wager, or maybe some you don't care if you part with? Why not have some fun?
I'm not sure what may be OOP or not. I haven't kept up with my DVD library all that much over the last year or so. My DVD collection is about as standard as you can get. At this point Doc, I don't think I do have any OOP titles.

Anything in particular you're looking for? Let me look to see what I'd be willing to wager.
Old 06-24-05, 10:45 PM

It'll do well.
I just can't stand that crazy turkey!
Old 06-24-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FUCK War of the Worlds. I'm seeing this on the 4th of July weekend!

Screw Spielberg when I can see that funny man Martin Lawerence coach a middle school basketball team!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.