TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Beauty & the Geek 6/22/05

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 02:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Beauty & the Geek 6/22/05

I didn't see a thread for this yet, so here it is. I thought the girl's "challenge" was a bit silly, as all it did was add a small advantage to the winner. As for the makeovers... Shawn and Bill were much improved, Chuck looked sort of ridiculous, and Richard looked exactly the same.

I'm glad Richad and Mindi stayed in it, just because I can't stand Chuck. Sure, Richard is annoying in his goofiness and refusal to act serious. But Chuck is annoying the opposite way... he has zero sense of humor and zero personality. He seems to have no idea how to enjoy himself.
Old 06-23-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excuse me, I work for the FBI, I need your phone number.
Old 06-23-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I am glad to see the great white mouth gone - though her body was nice.
Old 06-23-05, 05:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, wasn't Chuck telling them he was gay kind of defeating the point of the contest? I thought it was to show confidence around the ladies, but retreating into the "I'm gay, I'm not a threat!" safety zone went against all that. I mean, it was smart in a way gamewise... but at the same time it was actually pretty pointless because he was doing it as or after they already gave him the number.
Old 06-23-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I was sad to see Bill go he really went through a transformation this week. This was a very funny episode I laughed out loud all through the show. Chuck is really getting on my nerves. He didn't have the courage to go and strike up a conversation with a girl and ask for her phone number. He decided to be a gay screenwriter. Bill really got into it. Richard had a very hard time, but he looks just like Urkel I can't believe he got six numbers. You would think many women would run from him. The whole Richard Chuck conflict is really annoying me.
Old 06-23-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard hitting on the 80 year old grandma. "Would you maybe like to get together sometime? No?"
Old 06-23-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
"Richard is a cross btwn Urkel and Screech." Man, it can't get worse than that. He really is over the top. That has to be some degree of acting.

Richard transformed into Richard. Zero difference.

The phone number retrieval was a trainwreck as I expected it to be.

I didn't really understand the women's challenge. Was it that they had to calculate what their total would be and the closest would be or was it simply the closest to $1000.

I really dig Scarlett. She looks awesome.
Old 06-23-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only missed the premiere episode. did I miss how the chuck-richard conflict began? I really don't understand why they would hate each other.

chuck should really just ignore richard. he's got nothing to fear from that guy. any lady that would be remotely interested in chuck would certainly not be the same lady that would be remotely interested in richard.
Old 06-23-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by runner001
I only missed the premiere episode. did I miss how the chuck-richard conflict began? I really don't understand why they would hate each other.

chuck should really just ignore richard. he's got nothing to fear from that guy. any lady that would be remotely interested in chuck would certainly not be the same lady that would be remotely interested in richard.
I think it was the second episode where Chuck won the challenge (not sure) but didn't pick Richard to go because he thought Richard could use the experience and learn something in the house.
But then... Richard is making no effort... in changing in any way what so ever... and just acting goofy as always.

Chuck just sees that as defeating the purpose of the "experience" and is annoyed by it.

I think Richard is funny/goofy to watch on the show, but it's the same behavior that is NOT funny to constantly be around in person. So I understand the annoyance.

Plus you KNOW he is just throwing an act, hiding behind a shell or whatever.

I thought Bill had the biggest makeover by far. Why were they "hyping" the new Richard in the commercials? He had NO CHANGE.
Old 06-23-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

=Red Dog
I didn't really understand the women's challenge. Was it that they had to calculate what their total would be and the closest would be or was it simply the closest to $1000.
The women's challege was buy a bunch of clothes, while making a running calculation in your head including 8.25% sales tax, and keep buying until you think you are close to $1000.
The person closest to $1000 without going over wins the "advantage".
Which was a head start for their partner in the phone number challenge.

"I'm from the FBI, give me your number"
Old 06-24-05, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Also, wasn't Chuck telling them he was gay kind of defeating the point of the contest? I thought it was to show confidence around the ladies, but retreating into the "I'm gay, I'm not a threat!" safety zone went against all that. I mean, it was smart in a way gamewise... but at the same time it was actually pretty pointless because he was doing it as or after they already gave him the number.
I loved how afterward he was patting himself on the back for learning to be comfortable talking to strange women...but he left out the part about as long as they think he's gay.
Old 06-24-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by briank
Chuck just sees that as defeating the purpose of the "experience" and is annoyed by it.
Yeah, Chuck thinks Richard is wasting the opportunity to better himself, and then he goes and does the same thing by just pretending to be gay I thought it was interesting that Scarlet basically admitted that she's just making sure that he won't want to vote her team off if he gets the chance. Hopefully Chuck finds out before the show is over

I guess I'll be rooting for Shawn because I hate Richard almost as much as Chuck does. There is nothing sincere about the guy.
Old 06-24-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Richard is a pain in the ass. I don't know how the girls put up with him. So I agree with Chuck there. Richard will come from the experience unchanged. Reality shows always attract the attention whores anyway.

I also agree Chuck should not have made up a line about being gay but then again guys even attractive, non-geek ones lie all the time to get a girl's attention. Once he's not in a "competition" he can just be himself. He obviously had gained more confidence approaching women.
Old 06-25-05, 01:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I loved Chuck's droll analysis of the host's comments at the beginning of the show.
Old 06-25-05, 01:08 PM

Chuck deserves to get played by Scarlett. That gay screenwriter role was bs.
Old 06-25-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I loved Chuck's droll analysis of the host's comments at the beginning of the show.
"...that 4 out of seven means we are less than 50% to the end, and that '25% chance' also assumes each remaining couple has equal chances of victory. But I just kept quiet."
Old 06-25-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Loved Chuck's dinner conversation. "You know anything about Quaker life?"

I'd like to see a Big Brother type format with the beauties and geeks. I want more of them hanging out and forced to interact. Gotta laugh at the slow-mo and piano music with every closing scene.
Old 06-25-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved the first show, but it has gotten steadily worse since. I hate Richard and Chuck, and I am afraid that the way the editting is going is showing us that they will be the last two men remaining.
Old 06-25-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
"...that 4 out of seven means we are less than 50% to the end, and that '25% chance' also assumes each remaining couple has equal chances of victory. But I just kept quiet."
They need more of that in this show, and less Richard. Chuck really got his geek on this week.
Old 06-26-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Not to pick nits, but 4/7 is roughly 57%.
Old 06-26-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Not to pick nits, but 4/7 is roughly 57%.
There were 4 of the original 7 teams remaining, and the host said something about being half way to the prize. So he was commenting that they were obviously less than half way to the prize.

The nits pick back!
Old 06-27-05, 04:13 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

More nitpicking! Considering that only 6 teams will be eliminated and 3 have been kicked off, they were actually halfway.

Did anybody see Regis and Kelly this morning? I missed it, but they were supposed to have something about the show.

Last edited by nny; 06-27-05 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-27-05, 06:26 PM

They had Richard on the show. I didn't really watch any of it, but it looked like Richard acted the same way he has on the show.
Old 06-27-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw Richard on Live with R&K. He was worse than he has been on the show so far if you can believe that. I couldn't watch all of the interview. The guy's just annoying.
Old 06-28-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Loved the first show, but it has gotten steadily worse since. I hate Richard and Chuck, and I am afraid that the way the editting is going is showing us that they will be the last two men remaining.
From the first episode, I knew that the producers wouldn't let Richard go. He's the Alpha Nerd and elicits the strongest love/hate reactions from viewers. Just look at this board.

Personally, I find him annoying as hell.

And some of those pairs of jeans were downright ugly. I find it ridiculous that people would pay that much money for them. Guess I'm a nerd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.