Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interview with Avi Arad concerning future Marvel films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.mtv.com/shared/movies/int...ad_avi_062005/

Like Professor X looming over the students of his School for Gifted Youngsters, Avi Arad is the father figure of Marvel Studios, studying the development of the comic company's most promising stars and deciding when — and how — they will get their chance to dazzle moviegoers.

Regularly ranked among Hollywood's most powerful executives, Marvel's chairman and CEO is a prime mover behind the current cinematic-superhero renaissance and is currently mapping out the future of nearly 5,000 — yes, 5,000 — Marvel characters. With D.C.'s "Batman Begins" currently heating up the age-old comic book rivalry on the big screen, and Marvel's "Fantastic Four" on the horizon (opening July 8), Arad recently took some time to reflect on the future of his enormous cast of heroes and villains, and the traditions that he's charged to uphold.

"We have a tradition of Stan Lee being in all our movies," explains the mogul-stereotype-bashing Arad, north of 60 but casually dressed in a "Fantastic Four" baseball hat. Offering a rare glimpse of what's to come, Arad discusses a scene from the highly anticipated film that features a cameo by Lee, a legend in the comic book business and, not incidentally, the creator of the "FF" characters.

"He'll be the mailman," Arad continues. "It's interesting, because he looks the way it was drawn. Stan is a character ... initially he was supposed to say, 'Good morning, Mr. Richards,' and then he kept adding more words."

After "Fantastic Four," Lee will likely make his next cameo in "X-Men 3," which recently landed "Rush Hour" director Brett Ratner along with a release date of May 2006.

"I've never seen a reaction like that," Arad says of the Internet buzz that erupted after the casting of Kelsey Grammer as Beast was announced. He also confirms that Vinnie Jones (Bullet Tooth Tony from "Snatch") will play Juggernaut and that the cast from the first two movies are "all coming back." Regarding Jean Grey's possible evolution at the end of the last movie, however, Arad says, "Dark Phoenix should not be the centerpiece of the movie."

Arad will also oversee two spinoffs from the "X-Men" series: one about Magneto ("It's being written. It's going to be a smaller movie, [but] very true to the origin") and a "2007/2008" film with Wolverine ("Totally different, just Wolverine's journey"). The Magneto film will star an actor much younger than the one we're used to seeing, but that doesn't mean that the man who originated the role for the big screen is on the outs.

"I will always want Ian McKellen," Arad says. "There's no way for me to think of not walking into the story through him — through something happening now, and then going back there. Ian is an ambassador for this, and he needs to be there."

Next up is the August 2006 release of "Ghost Rider," the big-budget Nicolas Cage movie Arad refers to as a "morality tale." The film faces the huge challenge of making a fiery, murderous, flaming-skull-headed creature sympathetic to audiences. Arad says it will have a PG-13 rating and a "Southern rock" soundtrack and ethos, and that one scene will feature the motorcycle-riding protagonist facing the unlikely challenge of a tidal wave.

"I remember seeing 'The Perfect Storm,' how the whole wave was CGI. You're going to see something [similar] in 'Ghost Rider.' " While he reveals that Ghost Rider will, at some point, be entirely submerged, Arad vows that the infamous grinning skull will continue to flame on. "Nothing can extinguish it," he smiles. "It's hellfire."

Arad will then target "Spider-Man 3," due in theaters in May 2007. While insisting that rumors of a simultaneous third and fourth "Spider-Man" movie shoot are simply "not true," Arad did confirm that Dylan Baker will return for the third film — a noteworthy nugget for comic fans who recall that Baker's handicapped character, Dr. Curt Connors, went on to become Spider-Man nemesis the Lizard in the comic books. Although Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace are set to play the main, as-yet-unnamed villains of the third film, the seeds are apparently being planted for Spidey to also someday take on a superhumanly strong, green-scaled monster.

And after Spidey's return? Well, this is when things begin to get a bit fuzzy in the Marvel production slate, but one thing is certain: The company will soon begin making its own movies. In a groundbreaking deal, Paramount will distribute up to 10 of those films, including "Captain America" and "Nick Fury."

"The Ant-Man is also in there, a 'Honey I Shrunk the Superhero' kind of story," Arad says. Dr. Strange is also in the works, as well as a movie version of Black Panther, "which is a big, big, big deal. When you say '10,' some of them may be sequels."

As for the comic book icon with the red, white and blue shield, Arad argues that, next to Spider-Man, "Captain America is the most famous character out there, by name. The biggest opportunity with him is as a man 'out of time,' coming back today — looking at our world through the eyes of someone who thought the perfect world was small-town America. Sixty years go by, and who are we today? Are we better?

"I have a writer," he says. "And I have someone in mind to be the star, and I definitely have someone in mind to be the director. This script is going to take a little bit of time, because it has to be a masterpiece. It's 'Back to the Future' kind of stuff."

Also in the mix is "Silver Surfer," an ambitious project that Arad insists will move along "pretty fast. Silver Surfer, from a spectacle standpoint, is second to none. It's 'Independence Day' meets Marvel, times 10." A major announcement about the film is due relatively soon.

"There is a director who should make 'Silver Surfer' — he is mentally committed to it. He's doing another movie now. What's most important to me about this guy, first, is that he's incredible with visuals. But he's also a spiritual guy, a Zen Buddhist." Arad also confirms that the enormous planet devourer Galactus will be in the movie, but chances are he'll be all-CGI. "Galactus is a force of nature, not a being. That's all I'm saying."

Other properties, meanwhile, have been taking long, circuitous routes to the screen. Arad says Marvel is "very close" to striking a deal for the long-discussed "Iron Man" movie. "It's been a war with [co-producers] New Line Cinema. I had a four-hour meeting with ['The Notebook' director] Nick Cassavetes in my house. If everything is cool, in the next few weeks there'll be an announcement about Nick writing it. Nick has a unique emotional attachment to Iron Man's alter ego, Tony Stark. Think about John [Cassavetes] and Nick, father and son — the father was a great visionary director, and here's the son, an actor and a writer and turned out to be a very gifted artist himself." The parallel with Iron Man/ Tony Stark, who in the comic books has issues dealing with the success of his own father, evidently pleased Arad.

As for a sequel to 2004's "The Punisher," Arad confirms that Jigsaw will be the villain and that, with the first movie, "blood and intestines should have been blown out on the wall, because that's the Punisher." He added that the sequel will be among a handful of Marvel films with an R rating.

" 'Punisher,' of course. Maybe 'Cloak and Dagger.' I think 'Shang Chi' we can do PG-13, and 'Iron Fist' maybe an R. 'Luke Cage,' I don't know. Big studio movie. We'll try and do PG-13."

Arad then speaks like a proud papa of films about Cage (John Singleton's directing; Jamie Foxx had been considered for Diamondback, who will definitely be the villain); Nick Fury ("I'm going back in time. I'm going back to the classic on this. It's about him; it's about SHIELD"); Thor ("We are feverishly working on Thor. It's a vast 'Lord of the Rings' sort of universe"); Deathlok ("There is an actor, a very big star, that we want to do it, and we'll talk to him within a month"); and Namor. Comparing the last film to "Jurassic Park," Arad says, "a lot of design work has been done on it. The script is gigantic."

Every movie appears to be accompanied by an anecdote, as with "The Black Widow." "It's going to be ['X-Men' writer] David Hayter's directorial debut. The script just came in, and we are doing what we always do with scripts — in this case, driving the writer/director crazy. David is very imaginative. Actually, his firstborn is named Natasha [Black Widow's human name is Natasha Romanov], so we think he is committed to the project."

Of course, there are plenty of Marvel superheroes currently in a state of superlimbo after audiences received their first film adventures with mixed responses.

"It's no secret, we took a lot of sh-- for Ang Lee's 'Hulk,' for all the wrong reasons," Arad says, insisting that "I had a meeting with Universal [a few] weeks ago. We are going to make a Diet Hulk." Comparing Hulk to the classic image of Frankenstein's monster as a creature with an almost childlike curiosity, Arad says, "In movie one, we couldn't get into the curiosity thing. Hulk having a butterfly land on his hand? He would never [smash it]. The Hulk would be curious. He is like a baby, in a way." He says the sequel will arrive in theaters "no later than 2007."

Arad also insists that he would love to make a second, darker "Daredevil" movie: "I would make it in a second, as soon as could I get the rights back. We licensed it. If they'll give us the rights back, we'll make the movie." And then, of course, there's Daredevil's girlfriend, for whom Arad wears a cautionary red Lance Armstrong-type bracelet on his wrist, reminding him of past mistakes.

"I think Elektra is on ice now," he admits somberly, before suggesting one way a sequel might return the character to her comic book roots: "If we could do her à la the 'Sin City' idea — whoa."

Arad says the recent reinvigoration of Batman and DC Comics' upcoming slate of Superman and Wonder Woman movies doesn't scare him. "You know what we are?" Arad says of his company. "We're the best storytellers you'll find. And to us, our characters are alive."

If Arad's store of ideas is anything to go by, it seems likely that Marvel will be telling cinematic stories for quite a few years to come.
Old 06-22-05, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah! HULK 2! Bring it on
Old 06-22-05, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'll have what he's smoking.

You make Cloak and Dagger R rated but you leave Ghost Rider PG-13? ugh.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 06-22-05 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-22-05, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Marvel should pray each night that they at least have Spiderman...
Old 06-22-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton

You make Cloak and Dagger R rated but you leave Ghost Rider PG-13? ugh.
dude, cloak and dagger would be so awesome. cloak trying to swallow thanos = best part of infinity gauntlet.
Old 06-22-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And years from now, after all of these characters have been on screen, they can do one giant Secret Wars film!
Old 06-22-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Professor Frink
And years from now, after all of these characters have been on screen, they can do one giant Secret Wars film!
hehe. talk about an ensemble cast. the film'd cost upwards of 100 million just to sign the cast. would be cool tho.
Old 06-22-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts
Is Ang Lee going to be directing the Hulk Sequel? I love the idea but believe it will be a bomb as I'm in the minority.
Old 06-22-05, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
dude, cloak and dagger would be so awesome. cloak trying to swallow thanos = best part of infinity gauntlet.
I have no idea what you just said. Obviously, I'm not a big comic guy.
Old 06-22-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is Ang Lee going to be directing the Hulk Sequel? I love the idea but believe it will be a bomb as I'm in the minority
The bigger question will be who is going to do the effects? You screw this character up with terrible VFX, and the movie is ruined.
Old 06-22-05, 10:21 AM

I don't know why he's saying that everyone is coming back for X-Men 3 when Alan Cumming's website says that he's definitely not coming back.
Old 06-22-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I never read Infinity Gauntlet. What exactly happened?
Old 06-22-05, 10:40 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it just me, or are they going to shoot themselves in the foot with too much product? There are already some people saying Fantastic Four isn't a big enough mainstream name. So now I'm reading about Ant-man, Black Panther, Iron Fist, Shang Chi, etc. Not to knock any of these characters, but won't it get to the point where mainstream audiences just roll their eyes and think, "Oh great, ANOTHER Marvel comic book movie." This just makes me feel like they're flooding the market with every character on the roster, instead of concentrating on making really good movies out of their primary properties.
Old 06-22-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Avi Arad is going to pimp the hell out of every single project in the Marvel universe.
Old 06-22-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'm not excited about seeing a Captain America film set in the present. The initial movie should be set in WWII.

But I am excited about an old-school Nick Fury/SHIELD flick.
Old 06-22-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SFranke
I never read Infinity Gauntlet. What exactly happened?
so like there's this purply prune faced guy named thanos. he captures six stones that basically control the universe and puts em on a glove.

he does whatever the hell he wants and everyone gets mad. a huge bevy of mutants tried to stop him. thanos, controlling the universe and all, messes with them all. i forget what he does to them all, but i know he puts a block on cyclops head so it reflects the light back at him.

they try to steal the glove. cloak tried to swallow him and bring him to the dark dimension. (i mean, what else can cloak do). they tried to distract him so silver surfer could zoom by and rip it off his hand.

the celestials get involved. watcher, eternity, galactus, who knows. eventually the glove gets taken from him. hijinks ensue. and eventually good wins. shock.
Old 06-22-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
If that's the case, maybe Arad is aiming for NC-17.
Old 06-22-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Pass it this way when you're done..
Old 06-22-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's about right. Wasn't just mutants, though. Spidey, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc. were all in the mix. Thanks to his return from the afterworld, Thanos has a hard-on for Mistress Death, but she isn't reciprocating. So Thanos thinks 'Hey, I'll procure the Infinity Gems, kill off half the universe's population, and she'll love me.' Thanos even recruits Mephisto as his Gal Friday. Meanwhile, Adam Warlock himself has also been resurrected and is biding his time on Earth until he is ready to face the Titan. Needless to say, Earth's protectors aren't happy with Thanos (even their numbers have been dwindled by his killing spree), and attempt to stop him. It doesn't work, of course. In fact, Captain America is the last hero standing. Until the cosmic characters show up. They just cause more trouble than they're worth. All thru the series, various characters iterate and reiterate that there's only one way that Thanos can be defeated, and that's only if he wants to be defeated. Deep. Thanos, in his infinite wisdom, shows all the now-captive heroes just how powerful he is, transforming into an Eternity-type figure, leaving his corporeal form (and the Infinity Gauntlet!) unattended. That's when Thanos' grand-daughter, Nebula (whom he's been fucking with the entire series) grabs the gauntlet from Thanos, and now she has the power of the universe. Before Nebula is able to fully grasp the power she fell backwards into, Warlock, who never really lost connection with the Soul Gem on the Gauntlet, summons the awesome powers of the Gems. The gauntlet causes Nebula so much pain, she throws it to the ground. Then all the heroes jump on top of one another, fighting for possession. Until, yep, Adam Warlock comes up with the fumble. He promises to dismantle the gauntlet and distribute the Gems to worthy recipients in a future lackluster ongoing series.

Here's who I think for sure battled Thanos: Adam Warlock, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Doom, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Spider-man, Wolverine, Drax the Destroyer, Firelord, Nova, Prince Namor, Cloak, Cyclops, the Scarlet Witch, Thor, and the Hulk. Is there others? It's been so long since I read these. There are some great moments in the series: probably my fave was Wolverine, out of all the heroes, getting the best shot on Thanos, plunging his claws into the Titan's chest. Then, with a gleam in his eyes, Thanos turns Wolverine's ADAMANTIUM-laced skeleton into rubber.
Old 06-22-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Marvel really is going to burn out the audience by pulling out every B and C-level character available. Just because Daredevil and Blade were hits doesn't mean every other minor character can have a hit movie. Elektra was a disaster critically and commercially, Man-Thing went straight to video, and Blade Trinity bombed. Marvel needs to stick to the big guns (Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Hulk, Fantastic Four) and use the minor characters within the bigger stories.

Marvel's going to be in trouble if DC/Warner ever decide to start producing movies using the rest of their A-level heroes beyond the big three (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman) that are much more familiar with mainstream America.
Old 06-22-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Unless they buy a lot of the rights back or just wait for them to expire, Marvel's little production company will have to sit on their thumbs on any sort of mega crossover event.

The problem here is that a lot of these aren't all that marketable. They're characters no one really cares about anyways. Black Panther will just be seen as a Black Batman. The unstable future of X-men where Phoenix isn't going to be treated as the main story is just silly.

Glactus as a force of nature and not a huge dude that hungers planets? Sorry, this isn't Earth-X. Fantastic Four really does worry me. I mean they highlight the most shots of the powers on everyone with cool clips and with mr. fantastic it's the same three or so images of him stretching under a door. It really seems like they just didn't bother to expand on him since they already had a guy who turns into flames and Vic Macky in a giant orange rock suit.
Old 06-22-05, 12:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

the Captain America story about him being transported from a different time and place sounds like the perfect way to cheapen the character with "fish out of water" humor and prevent it from having any real shot.
Old 06-22-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Marvel's going to be in trouble if DC/Warner ever decide to start producing movies using the rest of their A-level heroes beyond the big three (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman) that are much more familiar with mainstream America.
Yeah I'm sure they're just shaking thinking about the box office potential of an Aquaman film....
Old 06-22-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
the Captain America story about him being transported from a different time and place sounds like the perfect way to cheapen the character with "fish out of water" humor and prevent it from having any real shot.

But that's what Captain America is. A frozen super solider in todays modern day and age. They have been dealing with his fish out of waterness for a long time now and if done correctly, could really be a good character study of who captain america is. Ultimates does this pretty good in all respects.
Old 06-22-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
"That's not a shield. Now that's a shield!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.