Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone get Northern Exposure Season 3?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-20-05, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, they just can't stop butchering these DVD's, can they? First off, everyone knows the music is all changed, which is asinine seeing as though this show actually revolved around musc at times. Secondly, season 3 comes in a cheap cardboard DVD box. No parka this time, but maybe that's how they sold it so cheap. At least this season had a list of the episodes on the back of each jewel case. The absolute worst part about season 3 though is the dubbing. It's so off that it's hard to even watch it in spots. The characters mouths start moving long before you hear any of the voices. Doesn't Universal have any quality control? I could put up with the cardboard packaging and music change, but the dubbing issues make me feel like I spent 40 bucks on bootleg copies of the shows.
Old 06-20-05, 10:15 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to pick this one up until I saw the small Universal "Some music may differ from what it should be" notation on the back of the non-parka case. Back it went.
Old 06-20-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I was going to pick this one up until I saw the small Universal "Some music may differ from what it should be" notation on the back of the non-parka case. Back it went.
i think that Universal is going to start putting that disclaimer on all their TV DVDs now, thats why i think its pretty much useless. though in this case, it certainly is true and the music is changed.

what im concerned about though is this dubbing issue. if its really noticable, i will definitely return my set when it arrives. i accepted the changed music, begrudgingly, but if the voices are noticably off, i wont keep the set.

i hope to hear more from people on this issue.
Old 06-20-05, 12:37 PM

Crap Noooo!!!! Dubbing issues I cannot take at all.

I got mine a few weeks ago and havent watched it yet, but the set screams cheap, the case hasnt even got wording on the spine!!!!! just a green blob on your shelf.
Old 06-20-05, 08:20 PM

I think that's intended to match the look of the previous two seasons' spines with the "parkas" on--just an orange and a yellow blob on your shelf.
Old 06-20-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe for Season 4 they'll give you half Quantum Leap DVDs in the set.
Old 06-21-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It pisses me off more than everything else is that there is NOTHING on the spine!
Old 06-21-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
It pisses me off more than everything else is that there is NOTHING on the spine!
Originally Posted by The Third Jake
I think that's intended to match the look of the previous two seasons' spines with the "parkas" on--just an orange and a yellow blob on your shelf.
yeah
Old 06-21-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it weren't so cheap at DeepDiscountDVD, I definitely would have passed on it.
Old 06-21-05, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that the dialogue isn't in sync with the lip movement?
Old 06-21-05, 08:17 AM

The voice dubbing is funny. For close ups the dubbing is spot on, the mid range shots it's a bit off, and some of the long range shots are really off. I had some friends over last night and they noticed it too. I'll have to get my VHS tapes of the show out and watch a few and see if those were off as well, or if it's just the DVD's. It is really annoying at times like if someone sets a coffee mug down or a beer mug on Holling's bar. You see them set it down then don't hear the "clunk" for a split second.
Old 06-21-05, 08:21 AM
Suspended

Why exactly are they redubbing the show?
Old 06-21-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just ordered the Season 3 DVD from DDD. After hearing all this dubbing and changed music, I wish I hadn't ordered it.
Old 06-21-05, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Why exactly are they redubbing the show?
I don't know if they redubbed it, I just think the original dubbing is not synched with the casts mouthing of the words. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they had to screw with the audio due to changing the music. I don't know about that technical stuff too much. All I know is that it is indeed out of whack in places.

That said, I watched the Lost Storylines bonus material last night and those were great. Complete storylines within episodes that were deleted before airing. Really fleshes out the episodes.
Old 06-21-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow...yeah I just ordered this from DDD too, but I think I might need to send it back. I just cant accept audio sync issues....maybe if I was getting Johnny McCracken to burn them from some captures he made off TV, but not from a multi-billion dollare company. Ill make sure DDD knows my reason for returning this set too so they can pass it on to the morons at Universal.
Old 06-21-05, 12:28 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ENDContra
Wow...yeah I just ordered this from DDD too, but I think I might need to send it back. I just cant accept audio sync issues....maybe if I was getting Johnny McCracken to burn them from some captures he made off TV, but not from a multi-billion dollare company. Ill make sure DDD knows my reason for returning this set too so they can pass it on to the morons at Universal.
I had decided to wait until they released the entire series in some sort of box set without all those stupid sleeping bags (stupid in my opinion... sorry to offend). But now, if it's ever released, I won't order at all if I have to put up with crappy dubbing!
Old 06-21-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

has anyone been able to check if this issue was always there even on the broadcast versions? i notice this with alot of movies if you focus on a background character talking to a foreground character. is this like that? or just a DVD screwup?
Old 06-21-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Skyclad
I don't know if they redubbed it, I just think the original dubbing is not synched with the casts mouthing of the words. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they had to screw with the audio due to changing the music. I don't know about that technical stuff too much. All I know is that it is indeed out of whack in places.
I dunno...

With current day editing, you tape and record the sound at the same time using a camera and a mic that are attached in some way (depending on the level of the production), so that they are in-synch.

Then you add a music layer and perform what's called Audio... umm... I forget the term, but basically, you can change the volume of the background music around dialouge and such by using a mixer (or more crudely, the computerized mixer on the editing program).

However, I don't think Digital Editing was done during Northern Exposure's run, which means, that essentially, putting it into a digital editing program now you'll have all the Audio on one track (or two if it's surround sound). It's the same as if you were to record a version of a show you saw on TV and then try to change the sound, you have to change all the sound at once.

There is a way of removing just the music, using equalization, but if a musical instrument is the same pitch range as the voice (or if the voice inflects into one of those ranges), it'd be nearly impossible to yank out just the voice.

As far as putting it back in... I dunno why it wouldn't match up. It doesn't make sense to me why someone can't sit there and figure out, "hey this doesn't match up." It drives editors like me CRAZY when something is off like that, and generally we spend a lot of time perfecting things.

But then again, this is Universal, and I see what you mean, it's prevelant on Quantum Leap where the music was yanked too. I don't get it.
Old 06-29-05, 01:40 AM

How bad is the dubbing problem? Is it throughout all the episodes?

Any word on whether replacement discs will be offered? I havn't opened my set yet - I will return it if better discs will be offered later.

Last edited by Christi P; 06-29-05 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-09-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are there any further updates on the dubbing/music issues with Season 3. I'm holding off even considering buying it until I know exactly what I'm getting into.