Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Looney Tunes Gold Collection (Volume 2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-05, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looney Tunes Gold Collection (Volume 2)

Do any stores sell the first pressing of this (with the original digipack)? I heard that sometime ago Warners changed the packaging (cheaper, harder to open etc).

How can you tell which dvd you'll get?
Old 06-19-05, 07:30 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I wasn't aware that they changed it. But I have the original release, which is a digipak, and the discs are kind of hard to get out. I wish they would use thinpacks for future releases.

The people here may be better able to to answer your question:

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/...isplay.php?f=3
Old 06-19-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks
Some of the reviews on Amazon seem to suggest they changed the packaging for some reason.
The first Golden Collection is a digipack and it works OK for me
Old 06-19-05, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
You're welcome.

That's a really fun message board. The people there are great.
Old 06-19-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might join there then
Old 06-19-05, 02:06 PM

Where's volume 3?

Wasn't Volume 2 announced around this time last year?
Old 06-19-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Ferret
Where's volume 3?

Wasn't Volume 2 announced around this time last year?
What characters or shorts is everybody hoping for in thsi volume?
Old 06-19-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be quite put out if Volume 3 didn't have "Hillbilly Hare".
Old 06-20-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Volume 3 is definitely due this year (before Xmas) according to Warners.
I ordered it (Vol. 2) from CD-WOW who told me they had the first pressing. I'll see when it turns up
Old 06-20-05, 08:53 AM
boe
Suspended

I'd gladly trade in my copies if Warner did a chronological bugs/daffy/porky edition. I'd love to see the bugs cartoons in the order they were released as opposed to the hodge-podge you get in the golden collection.
Old 06-20-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any chance we'd see some of the earlier Bugs cartoons or would they be banned due to racial slurs? (I'm sure some were, Bugs making fun of Japanese, Indians etc).
Does Vol 2. have any pre-40's Bugs cartoons? I know Vol 1 has "Elmers Candid Camera" - is that strictly Bugs Bunny though? Listen to his laugh at the end, it sounds more like Woody Woodpecker
I'm sure the first Bugs cartoon proper was "A Wild Hare" (1940), in the really early shorts Bugs looked much more "rabbity" there
Old 06-25-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my set today (digipack). For some reason the 4th disc had a surface scratch (quite noticeable if you held it up to the light) when I took it out of the box, but it seemed to play fine, it loads up in my player etc.

To anyone with the set, I know "Have You Got Any Castles" is old, but the remastering/print looked pretty bad, a few times there were some horrid white lines that ran the length and went in/out of the screen. Print damage?
I hope its not just my set.
It was VERY strange seeing the 30's title cards for "I Love To Singa" and "You Ought To Be In Pictures" - I was somewhat disappointed most of the other older toons just had the blue ribbon title card.
Old 06-25-05, 04:08 PM

I'm sure the first Bugs cartoon proper was "A Wild Hare" (1940),
Yep, a Tex Avery classic, one of my favorites, and still not on any Golden collection. Pre-Jones WB shorts have been really short-changed, such as Avery, Clampett, Tashlin. A shame; I hope these shorts are on future collections. The Golden Collections have been really haphazard.
Old 06-25-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
Yep, a Tex Avery classic, one of my favorites, and still not on any Golden collection. Pre-Jones WB shorts have been really short-changed, such as Avery, Clampett, Tashlin. A shame; I hope these shorts are on future collections. The Golden Collections have been really haphazard.
to tell you the truth, i think they want to first put the majority of cartoons on the set that the majority of people would be familiar with, and then start going deeper into the collection. (i still haven't picked up volume 2 yet)
Old 06-26-05, 03:36 AM

to tell you the truth, i think they want to first put the majority of cartoons on the set that the majority of people would be familiar with, and then start going deeper into the collection. (i still haven't picked up volume 2 yet)
That's fine, but they're presenting these sets, to me, for the Kids WB crowd. I don't think they're being treated as archiving something of historical importance (like the LD set), just throwing together some shorts of popular WB characters. Plus, there's the issue of the screen image of several shorts on GCII, where edges are hacked off. Again, the whole enterprise, to me, has been haphazard.
Old 06-26-05, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone notice the "Have You Got any Castles" issue? I suppose with "You Ought To Be In Pictures" and the like, you can't expect a stunning print but still, HYGAC has very noticeable damage it seems.
I certainly havent seen many of the earlier cartoons on Vol. 2 so its good theyre included, but I was disappointed that many times the original title cards weren't used. I'd seen "Katnip College" before on the "Adventures of Robin Hood" DVD from Warners, and remember seeing "So Much For So Little" several times in the past (though probably not in its full version).

Also - bizarrely, while "Sinkin' In The Bathtub" (the first Looney Tune) is listed on the packaging as being in the "From The Vaults" section, its is NOT on the disc which did annoy me. Maybe it will be on Volume 3.
Old 06-26-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I noticed on the Warning screen at the end of the DVD it said "Warning: This DVD is from Private Home Use only in Mexico, South, Central and Latin America".
Maybe I got a different DVD? However the packaging said R1.

I ordered it from CD-WOW.
Old 06-26-05, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
That's fine, but they're presenting these sets, to me, for the Kids WB crowd. I don't think they're being treated as archiving something of historical importance (like the LD set), just throwing together some shorts of popular WB characters. Plus, there's the issue of the screen image of several shorts on GCII, where edges are hacked off. Again, the whole enterprise, to me, has been haphazard.
I couldn't disagree more about who they are targeting these sets at. These are absolutely targeted at adults. The extras are more than sufficient to convince anyone of that. I know a lot of people don't like they way the sets are presented, but it makes sense to me. Above everything else, a DVD studio needs to sell copies of what they're releasing, and doing chronological sets, both of a single character and of a single year, would reduce sales drastically. I can't really think of a good way to do it, but I'm happy enough with the two sets, and just enjoy watching the shorts. Actually, in my opinion, an entire disc of Roadrunner or Sylvester/Tweety cartoons like on Vol. 2 is way too much. I felt the same way about the Bugs disc on Vol. 1. My favorite disc of the 8 released so far was disc 4 from Vol. 2 because it offered up so much more variety than the character discs did. I'd much rather it be a complete jumble of shorts than discs of one character.
Old 06-26-05, 06:24 PM

The target audience is mostly adults, but I bet a lot of their sales do come from parents buying it for their kids.

My only problem with the presentation is that I wish it were scattered. Seeing 10 Road Runner cartoons back-to-back is just tedious. I'd rather be able to PLAY ALL and just watch a variety of different character shorts.
Old 06-26-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a few bits about the LT DVD's...

Chronological sets would be possible, but it would possibly mean another few years of waiting. The collections are partially based on what Warner Bros. has restored and remastered. In comparison, Disney had already restored their cartoons by the time they did the Treasures sets. Warner is restoring AND releasing at the same time.

Also, the white lines on Have You Got Any Castles are editor marks. Apparently, the only surviving print of the uncut version was used by the editor to mark where the re-issue would cut out footage. This was done to the original negatives. So, it's very likely that Warner Bros. didn't want to risk damaging the uncut print by trying to remove the editor marks. To be honest, they're not THAT bad given the rarity of the material... and it's probably not worth screwing up a print to remove them.

As for the B&W cartoons, they seem to be in the worst condition of all of the LT's. Unlike the Technicolor cartoons, pretty much all 35mm prints for the original theatrical release would be struck directly from the cut camera negative.
Old 06-26-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grim_tales
Also - bizarrely, while "Sinkin' In The Bathtub" (the first Looney Tune) is listed on the packaging as being in the "From The Vaults" section, its is NOT on the disc which did annoy me. Maybe it will be on Volume 3.
thats weird...i could have swore i watched that....

this thread has got me clamering for a third set....I love these releases...
Old 06-26-05, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
this thread has got me clamering for a third set....I love these releases...
Yeah, me too. I can't wait.
Old 07-10-05, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you read Jerry Beck's site at http://www.cartoonbrew.com and the forum mentioned in Post #2 of this thread then you will see that tons of care have been put into the first two sets. Not everything is perfect, but tons of material has been restored, including several bits that have been censored for years...
Old 07-10-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for that link...that looks like a great website
Old 07-10-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm not too interested in chronological sets or anything like that. I'm more than happy with the two sets that are out now. It's so great to be able to whip out these discs and play them, it brings back memories and most of the ones on these sets are favorites of mine. I wouldn't want to wait forever to get chronological sets, as most of the cartoons I'm really interested in seeing are already on these two volumes. But as long as they continue to keep busting out these Golden Collections, I'll keep buying 'em. I really wish some news on a third would come along as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.