Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sesame Street "season" compliations on DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-05, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this ties in with the "Muppet Show" thread or not but anyway.. Who has the rights to this now, its' not Disney is it?

I wish CTW/Sesame Workshop would release some sort of "Classic/Early Years" retrospective compliation DVD of this of the whole show. Early/80's Sesame Street has a different feel to the sort of "wanna be hip" mindset so present in recent shows (I was a child of the 80's) The song parodies are brilliant and some sketches are actually funny

Would season sets or something like that be possible? As I'm sure its been the shows 35th Anniversary recently.
Old 06-19-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I MIGHT consider buying the Sesame Street Unpaved series on DVD, which was aired on Noggin and it wasn't just the kid's programming, but more of a retrospective for adults. I have not seen all the episodes, because I only got Noggin for a limited time and I don't have digital cable to watch it all the time, but I understand it ran for 64 episodes. Sesame Street, on the other hand, has over a thousand episodes to it's credit. Those would take up some massive space on our shelves! Maybe when HD-DVD comes to the stores...
Old 06-19-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems like, as with such long-running shows as Saturday Night Live and even The Daily Show, a large best-of set would suit this show better than a season-by-season release. But in that vein, it would seem like a no-brainer to get some of those classic moments and lessons and whatnot onto DVD.
Old 06-20-05, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Perhaps you're right The trouble is its' subjective obviously as to what would be in people's classic moments lists. I have the "Musical Celebration" VHS for example which is good but its too damn short.
1000 episodes? More like 5000 I'm sure
Old 06-20-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would buy Sesame Street, Zoom, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and the Electric Company in full season sets in a heartbeat should they ever see the light of day! Yes, I have tow kids but I'd probably be the major one watching these shows. They were absolutely great educational entertainment and definately worth a purchase.
Old 06-20-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Electric Company? Whats that?
I agree some sort of retrospective/best of for adults/people who grew up with the show would be tops, but when I wrote to CTW about this got no reply As I said AMC (25th Anniversary) is good, but some clips are VERY ABRIDGED (though some classics are shown as well).
Have you read the book "Sesame Street Unpaved"?

You would think some sort of 35th Anniversary DVD would be released (a 3 CD set was released last year), but even that is a hit and miss affair. Hmmm...

PS Sorry for going (slightly) OT w/CDs/books there
Old 06-20-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd love to see a series of very well-produced "greatest hits" boxes for Sesame Street.

Because of the large # of episodes (and the redundant segments that they replay again and again), I don't think full season sets would work at all. But if they could put together some really solid compilations, with lots of commentaries, supplements, and other things for the "adults", I'd buy them in a heartbeat.
Old 06-20-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We need to set up a petition
What annoyed me about how its' gone recently wasn't just flaming "Elmo's World" (*cough* he's overrated IMO), making 1 show effectively 40 mins not 1 hour, but how 1 show seemed to have a "storyline" or "theme" and all the sketches/clips would be somehow tenuously connected to it (if that makes sense). I much preferred it in ye olden days when you didnt know what would come next

I know its not designed for us oldies of course, its not the same though
Old 06-20-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
As long as they're not ELMO-fests, i'm all for this. When the hell did the show become ELMO Street?
Old 06-20-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dunno, in the late 90's-00's with the Elmo toys I think Elmo first appeared in 1979 (!) But just as "little red monster" then, not as Elmo (according to the book "Sesame Street Unpaved")
Isn't Sesame Workshop (CTW) really a non-profit making organisation? (kind of) I mean, any money made from Sesame products goes back to them to help make more shows etc.
Old 06-20-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grim_tales
Perhaps you're right The trouble is its' subjective obviously as to what would be in people's classic moments lists. I have the "Musical Celebration" VHS for example which is good but its too damn short.
1000 episodes? More like 5000 I'm sure
I could have an incorrect figure. I went by that suck ass tv.com website. If TVtome.com was still up, I would have probably had an accurate total.

And I agree Elmo sucks. I don't have kids, but I will see this is on from time to time when I am changing channels during Price Is Right. I had no idea that ass clown of a character had taken over the show, and I saw his ass on there one day and I thought it was odd, and I checked back a few days later and that ass clown of a character was still on there. I had no idea he had a whole 20 minute block dedicated to just being an ass clown.

Maybe Elmo wouldn't suck so hard if he wasn't so damned over exposed. Of all the creative characters Jim Henson created, THIS is the character they shine the light on the most???? WTF?????

Last edited by calhoun07; 06-20-05 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The segements I tended to like the best are the many superb songs and song pardoies (eg Beatles ones) Bert/Ernie (far too many classics to list here), Kermit, and those wonderful skits with Grover and the Fat Blue guy in the restaurant
What about you?

I agree its' sad, not the same They don't focus on classic muppets anymore like Bert+Ernie, Kermit as much as they used to (IMO), instead that annoying Baby Bear and Elmo. Gah...
(Or at least they didnt back in 2002-ish when I last saw it on UK TV).

There was a song called "Someone Enchanted Lunchtime" (I think), a terriffic "Some Enchanted Evening" take-off.
Dont forget the early MTV spoofs also

Last edited by grim_tales; 06-21-05 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-22-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by calhoun07
And I agree Elmo sucks. I don't have kids, but I will see this is on from time to time when I am changing channels during Price Is Right. I had no idea that ass clown of a character had taken over the show, and I saw his ass on there one day and I thought it was odd, and I checked back a few days later and that ass clown of a character was still on there. I had no idea he had a whole 20 minute block dedicated to just being an ass clown.

Maybe Elmo wouldn't suck so hard if he wasn't so damned over exposed. Of all the creative characters Jim Henson created, THIS is the character they shine the light on the most???? WTF?????
A-Men! Even back in the day they showcased the entire cast of characters [which was MORE than ONE]. If CTW needs $$$, put out some NON-Elmo box sets. I'd DEFINITELY buy 'em.
Old 06-24-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does Disney own everything to do with the show now? Are Bert, Ernie, Kermit etc still there?
I really don't see why some sort of Anniversary set can be released, Best Of tapes (sort of) were released for the 30th Anniversary, the only problem being it is IMPOSSIBLE (IMO) to do "Best Of's" in such a short time (25 mins with Kermit or Ernie/Bert).

Old shows/clips still exsist I'm sure, the classic Xmas Sesame episode from 1978 was released on tape and DVD.
Old 06-24-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those that have Noggin, there are two programs:
Play with Me Sesame, a half-hour compilation of mostly song & dance numbers, no overarching story. Your ratio of old skool is very high, guaranteed at least one Hensen/Oz per ep.
123 Sesame, basically condensed reruns of old Sesame Street eps, but still likely to have old skool skits.