Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Raging Bull Question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Raging Bull Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raging Bull Question - spoilers

couple of questions:

Isn;t Deniro (LaMotta) married at the beginning of the movie or is that just some girlfriend?

with the last fight, what was he trying to prove to Robinson by getting his ass kicked?

near the end, there is the thing with the girls being 21... wasn't the drinking age 18 at that point in history

Last edited by j123vt_99; 06-18-05 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-18-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe he was married at the begining, but I can't be to sure.

And when he fights Robinson for the last time he is losing and he does not want to be knocked down. To LaMotta losing was bad but he absolutely did not want to be knocked down, if LaMotta was knocked down he had already lost the fight, in his own mind. He was not just letting Ray kick the shit out of him LaMotta was trying to not get knocked down. If you'll notice he was leaning on the ropes to keep himself up and if he had fought there was a good chance he would be knocked down. You'll notice that at the end of the fight he loses but is proud by not being knocked down. That's why he sounds really proud when he says "You never got me down Ray, You never got me down."

And About the age thing I'm not to sure but I believe it was still 21.
Old 06-18-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
If you'll notice he was leaning on the ropes to keep himself up and if he had fought there was a good chance he would be knocked down. You'll notice that at the end of the fight he loses but is proud by not being knocked down. That's why he sounds really proud when he says "You never got me down Ray, You never got me down."
I'm still curious about the whole "never knocked me down" thing. It isn't mentioned in the book and never in any of the commentaries. I'm assuming Schrader put that line in. Because if you watch the real footage of that fight, LaMotta looks to be in NO shape to say anything when the ref stops the fight. He's just completely spent and exhausted--But nowhere near the bloody mess the film suggests.
Old 06-18-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't Joe Pesci's character say something to the extent of "Forget it, you're married. Leave the young girls to me"?
Old 06-19-05, 12:15 AM

Yeah see I think he is married, pretty sure
Old 06-19-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ragingbull80: (nice name).. that is what I was thinking, but why didn;t he fight back? isn't "trying" more important that "giving up"?
Old 06-19-05, 10:19 AM

From the Raging bull movie, where Jake la motta at his bar playing whit glasses, in the same time we hear a song by a women. Some body knows this song?
Old 06-19-05, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
ragingbull80: (nice name).. that is what I was thinking, but why didn;t he fight back? isn't "trying" more important that "giving up"?
What I was thinking and I'm not sure if it's right it's just what I think, if he got away from the rope and started fighting in the shape he was in he might have fallen pretty easily. Also I think at that point in his life he wasn't at the top of his game and he was just slowly going down hill and just didn't care anymore. That's about the best I can come up with and I'm kinda tired right now so yeah...
Old 06-19-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

isn't "trying" more important that "giving up"?
Exactly. Try as hard as he could, Sugar Ray could not beat La Motta into submission. There is no reason why Jake should still stand at the end of the fight, which makes Ray's failure humiliating. Jake and Ray were playing different games at that point in the fight.
Old 06-19-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

another question about their fight.. i believe it was the 1st time they met in the movie.. it appeared that LaMotta knocked him down 3 times in one round, but he still lost... Isn't it a boxing rule that if you are knocked down 3 times in 1 round, it is a KO (or TKO)?
Old 06-19-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another question about their fight.. i believe it was the 1st time they met in the movie.. it appeared that LaMotta knocked him down 3 times in one round, but he still lost... Isn't it a boxing rule that if you are knocked down 3 times in 1 round, it is a KO (or TKO)?
That's the way it worked in Mike Tyson's Punch-out on the NES, but I think in real boxing there's no set numbers of times you can get knocked down before they'll call a TKO. If one boxer is just repeatedly knocking down the other guy and it's clear he's overmatched, then they'll call it, or if one guy gets hurt bad enough that they need to end the fight.
Old 06-20-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jake LaMotta was forced to take a dive during the fight with Robinson. He lost the fight on purpose, but refused to go down. That is why he said he never went down.

The girls in the bar were minors. LaMotta was arrested for having sex with a minor.
Old 06-20-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't believe they had a 3 knock down rule back then.