Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

You knew it was coming, Elektra Directors Cut in November rumor (10.18.05)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knowing that fox has been double dipping for most of its titles, you somehow had to know that this was coming.

THE LADY IN RED

Elektra director ROB BOWMAN talks comic-books and criticism with Matt Chapman

Dreamwatch: Is this Elektra the same character we saw In Daredevil or has she changed?

The difference from the Elektra in Daredevil is that the requirements of her in that movie are completely different than in Elektra. That was about her love of Daredevil and her change from being a sweet girl to rage because of the death of her father. But you don't really learn much about her and my movie is all about her internal darkness.

You researched the original Greek myths of Elektra, which of those aspects appear in the story?

I knew of Elektra from Greek mythology because I'd read Sophocles and then I read Frank Miller's comics and it seems like it was derivative of the original stuff. So I went back again to the Greek authors who wrote about her and I wanted to know what the true origins of the character were so I could stay true to that. Frank Miller did a beautiful job of reintroducing her, the problem is that she looks like a hooker and it's all about murder and sex. By contract I was obligated to make a PG13 movie. And Jennifer is a sweet woman and I didn't want to put her in a hooker's outfit.

How do you answer the harsh criticisms of the movie?

I actually thought the critics would like it because I did not make a visual effects spectacle movie. It wasn't just dripping with computer work. I thought I was making a much more independent film version of a comic-book. I stopped reading reviews when one said: "Why does Hollywood make big budget comic-book movies..." and I didn't have a big budget, I had $43 million. I had half the money of Daredevil, probably a third or quarter of the money of Spider-Man - maybe less. Nobody ever said "Good job" on making it look like it cost more than $43 million. I got nothing to say I had six weeks of prep and 10 weeks to shoot the movie and nothing to say I posted the whole film in four months. I think my reaction to their words is they were inaccurate. Or maybe the movie should have cost $100 million, I have no idea. I'll always be proud of it and I did a director's cut that will be coming out in November. That is an R-rated movie, it has things that were removed to get the PG13 rating. It's not I8 minutes longer, but in many parts of the movie it's a little different. The music is different in some parts and I don't feel obligated to have this adrenalized pace that I know some people think is important for a theatrical movie.

Does that come from test screenings?

We only tested the movie one time and the test was extraordinary. We had teenage girls and boys and their mothers, and every one of them absolutely loved the movie. They thought it was far better than Spider-Man and far better than typical comic-book movies and they really understood what movie I'd made.

Why was Ben Affteck's scene as Daredevil deleted?

We shot it and ultimately the studio felt that it might be too much of a diversion at that point of the movie. But I never reinstated it into either the theatrical or the director's cut, I left it as a deleted scene.

Will there be a third movie, as was originally planned?

I think it's still on the cards, I haven't heard anything about it but I know that was always the plan.
I kind of liked it when i saw it in the theaters, but nothing special (big dd fan here), so an idea of a dc coming is exciting news since i really liked the dc of daredevil.
Old 06-17-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I figured a director's cut of this film would be much, much shorter.
Old 06-17-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Kids thought it was better than Spider-Man?
Old 06-17-05, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Kids thought it was better than Spider-Man?
Quite frankly, I thought both Spider-Man movies are way over rated. In both films we basically only have one villian. That's so 1980s. In today's high drenelin movies, we need multiple villians and buku CG effects.
Old 06-18-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So its come to this... movies that gross $24 million bucks are getting special editions. No wait, movies that SUCK and only gross $24 million bucks are getting special editions. I bet somewhere Martin Brest is praying someone will let him recut Gigli.
Old 06-18-05, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hilarious. $43 million is "no budget"? Test screening audiences thought it was better than Spider-Man? (Maybe Bowman meant the 1977 TV version.) Critics disliked the movie because of the budget?? Elektra is a "superhero indie"?

Not to be cruel, but Mr. Bowman is a so-so TV director who should probably be kept away from feature films.

Then again, I do consider his Reign of Fire a fairly solid guilty pleasure and good deal of goofy fun.

Elektra? Dry, confused, silly, and actually very dull. (IMO, obviously.)
Old 06-18-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Expect every fox title to pretty much carry a double dip. Really, no one should be surprised by this. I hated the film personally though.
Old 06-18-05, 11:30 AM

I've haven't seen Elektra yet, but even so, some of the stuff Bowman was spouting is a little hard to swallow. Every single member of the test audience loved it, and thought it was better than Spider-Man? I suppose a few self-serving compliments never hurt. However, until I see it, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because I do want to see this movie and I'll reserve my final verdict until then. I didn't buy the original release, and I doubt I'll get the Director's Cut, but it's probably worth a rental.
Old 06-18-05, 12:12 PM

Looks like we will have our Garden State double dip soon enough.
Old 06-18-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this just to piss off the 12 people who bothered with the first DVD?
Old 06-18-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Quite frankly, I thought both Spider-Man movies are way over rated. In both films we basically only have one villian. That's so 1980s. In today's high drenelin movies, we need multiple villians and buku CG effects.
Sarcasm? I sure hope so.
Old 06-18-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
By contract I was obligated to make a PG13 movie. And Jennifer is a sweet woman and I didn't want to put her in a hooker's outfit.

This dude has heard of Alias? No?
Old 07-14-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

coming 10.18.05
according to

HTF

and dvd planet
Old 07-14-05, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cameron
coming 10.18.05
according to

HTF

and dvd planet
Screw Elektra (no pun intended) here's what I'm waiting for:

Home Alone / Home Alone 3 (2-Pack)
Fox (10/18/2005) $24.95

Home Alone 2 / Home Alone 4 (2-Pack)
Fox (10/18/2005) $24.95

(Edit: I like how they've paired these up. They get you to buy the inferior latter sequals by pairing them up with the earlier movies)

Yeah baby!!!! I can finally get what Michael Jackson never could...my Macaulay Culkin fix!
Old 07-14-05, 05:05 PM
Banned

As for getting the Elektra DC, I'll just to have to wait and see to see what's on it to determine if it's worth upgrading or not. The movie was pretty short, so an extra 15 minutes or so might make it worth while.
Old 07-14-05, 05:21 PM
Cool New Member

I hope the Electra Directors cut is 15 mins long total.
Old 07-14-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HBKDinobot
Old 07-14-05, 07:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

HBKDinobot, threadcrapping is against forum rules. Please read the post at http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235044 and take note of the explanation it provides.
Old 07-14-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dead
HBKDinobot, threadcrapping is against forum rules. Please read the post at http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235044 and take note of the explanation it provides.

Shouldn't the rules be enforced for New Members and Hall of Famers?

Originally Posted by darkside
I figured a director's cut of this film would be much, much shorter.
Old 07-14-05, 08:26 PM
Cool New Member

You guys are harsh

I kinda liked Elektra. /shrug

I seriously doubt that kids liked it better than Spider Man, esp. the second one. And when did $43M become an "indie budget"?
Old 07-15-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I may rent the DC of Elektra but as one of the "12" people who actually bought this one...once bitten twice shy I'm afraid. In no way can i see myself DDing this disc
Old 07-15-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Personally, out of the two primary X-Files guys, I would have preferred to see Chris Carter make the leap to Big Screen stardom. As someone mentioned above, Bowman is a relatively competent and very "safe" director. Elektra was ok. The DC will certainly get a rent.
Old 07-19-05, 04:53 PM

Full announcement:

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has announced Elektra: Director's Cut for release on October 18th.

This two-disc Unrated Director's Cut will include a 2.35 anamorphic transfer with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround tracks.

Bonus materials will include a commentary track (with director Rob Bowman and editor Kevin Stitt), the two-part "Relentless: The Making of Elektra" production documentary, three deleted scenes with optional commentary(Sai Approach, "Come Back To Me", Rounding Up The Troops), alternate/extended scenes, "Showdown at the Well" multi-angle dailies (takes 3, 5, 7 & 9), still galleries (Costumes, Production Design, Weapons, Unit Photography), storyboards (Elektra in Pool, Mark's House, Alley/Hawk, Abby in the Woods, In the Maze, Kirigi's Death, Natchios Estate) and teaser/theatrical trailers.

Retail is $26.98
Old 08-22-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Artwork http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...%3D15%26y%3D12
Old 08-22-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I passed on the initial release and rented it instead. As is customary, my nine year old daughter considered it to be a cinema classic. Three months later, her almost daily whining for me to "buy Elektra" has compelled me to purchase this directors cut upon release. This is the cheapest therapy money could buy (i.e. peace) for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.