Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Willy Wonka DVD June 21 - Anything New?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willy Wonka DVD June 21 - Anything New?

I see on amazon.com that WB is releasing Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory on June 21. Is there anything different other then being in a keepcase and not a snapper? Movie ticket for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

Saxon
Old 06-16-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing new outside of the packaging. I've also seen no indication that there will be a free movie ticket inside. However, I have it on order from DDD, and I'll be sure to post the results.
Old 06-16-05, 11:31 PM

Cool. I have fond memories of this movie. When I was a kid, the Oompa Loompas scared the crap out of me. I saw this movie once or twice when I was a kid and didn't see it again until I was an adult. I liked that song by Wonka that goes, "Take a drink, and you'll sink, to that state of pure inebriation..."
Old 06-17-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I think it's mainly to compare and contrast between the two films [aka make $$$ off the synergy].

Since i'm a HUGE fan of the original, if you don't have anything nice to say about the "reimagining" then...

Old 06-17-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as long as they aren't forgetting about the widescreen release this time around, I don't care. I never got the DVD the first time around because of the delay with the widescreen, and it was never a top priority. Glad I waited, because I loathe snappers and would much rather buy it in a keep case.
Old 06-17-05, 01:02 AM

It's more expensive. That's about the only difference.
Old 06-17-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dark_Sithlord
song by Wonka that goes, "Take a drink, and you'll sink, to that state of pure inebriation..."
I can't remember right now, was that in the actual movie or just the Family Guy episode spoofing it???
Old 06-17-05, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by mikewendt
I can't remember right now, was that in the actual movie or just the Family Guy episode spoofing it???
Haha! Actually, that was from Family Guy. The line that Wonka sang was different. I was just being a smartass.
Old 06-17-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cinephan
On amazon.com, it's a dollar cheaper than the snapper case version.
Old 06-17-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dark_Sithlord
Haha! Actually, that was from Family Guy. The line that Wonka sang was different. I was just being a smartass.
Nice
Old 06-17-05, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm quite a fan of this too and have fond memories of it In some ways its' different from the book though.
Was there a Futurama episode spoofing it too? (the one with the Slurm Factory).
Old 06-17-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Just as long as they aren't forgetting about the widescreen release this time around, I don't care. I never got the DVD the first time around because of the delay with the widescreen, and it was never a top priority. Glad I waited, because I loathe snappers and would much rather buy it in a keep case.
They did release the widescreen version last time albeit a little later on after the fullscreen dropped. At one time I actually had copies of both the fullscreen and widescreen of this movie and did some screen comparisons. The widescreen of the movie is simply a matted version of the full screen (as it states on the back). From reading some reviews on Amazon, some people are thinking that this new release will bring an all new widescreen transfer and they will surely be disappointed.
Old 06-17-05, 08:15 AM

Looks like they slightly changed the cover. Took out the Warners Brothers Family logo on the cover.

Saxon
Old 06-17-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cinephan
It's the exact same price as the old version at Deep Discount (which is also where I've found the best price for it: $11.88).
Old 06-17-05, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The widescreen of the movie is simply a matted version of the full screen (as it states on the back).
That isn't correct. The Widescreen is 1.85:1 enhanced for widescreen TVs and is very different than the fullscreen version. There was a long campaign back then to get the widescreen dvd out, and when they finally did it was very nice. Just wanted to make sure people didn't think the special edition they currently have is wrong in any way. It isn't, your old edition is fine, and there is NOTHING new on this edition other than a packaging change that we currently know of. It is just a re-release to capitalize on the marketing being done for the big movie. Simple as that. No upgrade needed here, and I upgrade a lot. If you don't have it, then jump right in. Nice price, great dvd.
Old 06-17-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anamorphic = more resulotion for HDTV's, so the arguements like "oh, well just mask off the top/bottom, and it's the same" don't hold up... I want all the resolution I can get, and if that means dropping the area that's masked, off the DVD, that's great!
Old 06-18-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnglad
That isn't correct. The Widescreen is 1.85:1 enhanced for widescreen TVs and is very different than the fullscreen version. There was a long campaign back then to get the widescreen dvd out, and when they finally did it was very nice. Just wanted to make sure people didn't think the special edition they currently have is wrong in any way. It isn't, your old edition is fine, and there is NOTHING new on this edition other than a packaging change that we currently know of. It is just a re-release to capitalize on the marketing being done for the big movie. Simple as that. No upgrade needed here, and I upgrade a lot. If you don't have it, then jump right in. Nice price, great dvd.
When I owned both copies of the movie I did a screencap check and comparison. I checked various parts of the movie throughout and noticed that the widescreen version was just a matted version of the full screen. It is matted so that the picture shown is in 1.85:1. If I'm wrong then please let me know where the extra picture is shown.
Old 06-18-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
When I owned both copies of the movie I did a screencap check and comparison. I checked various parts of the movie throughout and noticed that the widescreen version was just a matted version of the full screen. It is matted so that the picture shown is in 1.85:1. If I'm wrong then please let me know where the extra picture is shown.

It's not just about extra picture, it's about (say it with me "the right picture". Many films like this are filmed with film that has a negative exposure of about 1.33, the same shape as a regular TV. For widescreen composition, the director/DP/cinematographer mattes off the top and bottom. There's about, oh say, a kajillion movies made this way, so Wonka is no exception.

In summary, please read the sig \/

cheers
Old 06-18-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It's not just about extra picture, it's about (say it with me "the right picture". Many films like this are filmed with film that has a negative exposure of about 1.33, the same shape as a regular TV. For widescreen composition, the director/DP/cinematographer mattes off the top and bottom. There's about, oh say, a kajillion movies made this way, so Wonka is no exception.

In summary, please read the sig \/

cheers
This was in response to those that held out for the widescreen version of this movie thinking that they were going to get more image with the widescreen version. I was just stating that this isn't true for the widescreen version of this movie.
Old 06-18-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you wait until 6/21 when it's no longer a preorder it becomes $11.88 minus 20% at DDD (an even better value). Should be about $9.50. I've got a sealed snapper from the last DDD 20% off sale (huge order back then to replace what Hurricane Charley took) that I'd love to get rid of & pick up the keep case version as I loathe snappers too.
Old 06-24-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

have had it in hand and side by side with a snapper copy...

the msrp of the snapper is 19.99
the keep case is 14.99

they have added the widescreen/fullscreen banners across the top where the old snapper only had a banner on the WS

they have removed the WB family logo

there is no free ticket
Old 06-24-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
there is no free ticket
They only made five copies with a ticket, so it's not unusual that yours didn't come with one.
Old 06-24-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
They only made five copies with a ticket, so it's not unusual that yours didn't come with one.
BTW Cameron, is the UPC the same?

Sorry, I meant to hit "edit" instead of "quote."
Old 06-25-05, 10:27 AM

It on sale at fred meyer's for $9.99 that a good deal...

And by the way saw the trailer for charlie and the chocolate factory i'm sorry i think it's sucks i will sick this one love tim burton & johhny depp but there not getting my money on this crap..
Old 06-25-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ROBERTCOP34
It on sale at fred meyer's for $9.99 that a good deal...

And by the way saw the trailer for charlie and the chocolate factory i'm sorry i think it's sucks i will sick this one love tim burton & johhny depp but there not getting my money on this crap..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.