Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Depeche Mode announce world tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Will be playing North America first starting in October. Europe and the rest of the world from 1/06 on. No dates have been set for the American dates yet.

http://www.depechemode.com/tour/index.html

And pics from the press conference held just a few hours ago:

http://www.epopland.de/cgi-bin/go?cm...n=0&folder=257
Old 06-16-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I kinda like alot of their music, or at least I did a few years ago, but I saw them on the Faith And Devotion tour and it may have been the most boring concert I have ever seen.
Old 06-16-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I kinda like alot of their music, or at least I did a few years ago, but I saw them on the Faith And Devotion tour and it may have been the most boring concert I have ever seen.
Guess you've never seen Oasis Seriously, that was the deadliest concert ever for me. Anyway, although a HUGE Depeche Mode fan (obviously), "Songs of Faith and Devotion" (both the album and tour) are my least favorite by them.
Old 06-16-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Guess you've never seen Oasis Seriously, that was the deadliest concert ever for me. Anyway, although a HUGE Depeche Mode fan (obviously), "Songs of Faith and Devotion" (both the album and tour) are my least favorite by them.
I actually like SOFAD quite a bit. I found their latest studio album, Exciter, had some good tunes (like Dream On & Freelove), but overall rather disappointing.

Thanks for the news about the upcoming tour...would love to catch them.
Old 06-16-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

looks like they set their egos aside. can't wait to catch 'em again!
Old 06-16-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
looks like they set their egos aside. can't wait to catch 'em again!
Singular. Ego. That would be Dave. But they did look like they were enjoying themselves during the press conference, didn't they? Mixed feelings about the official tour photo. Looks just like "Exciter". God I hope the new album is nothing like that. While I do enjoy "Exciter", it was a little too simplistic for me. Dave said the new album was somewhere in between "Violator" and "SOFAD". I can live with that
Old 06-17-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Singular. Ego. That would be Dave. But they did look like they were enjoying themselves during the press conference, didn't they? Mixed feelings about the official tour photo. Looks just like "Exciter". God I hope the new album is nothing like that. While I do enjoy "Exciter", it was a little too simplistic for me. Dave said the new album was somewhere in between "Violator" and "SOFAD". I can live with that
well, from what i've gathered, a big part of that was frustration with the control freak that is martin gore?
Old 06-17-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
well, from what i've gathered, a big part of that was frustration with the control freak that is martin gore?
Never heard Martin referred to as a control freak. That was Alan Wilder. Martin only wanted to be the sole song writer.
Old 06-17-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't wait.
Old 06-23-05, 01:24 PM

great!!! they'll be in SF. Last time I saw them was at the shoreline Amphitheater in mountain view.
Old 06-23-05, 01:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
talk about scrolling all the way down to the bottom of the webpage - here's what's mentioned:

In addition, Depeche Mode will be playing the following North American cities during October, November and December of 2005:

Fort Lauderdale
Tampa / St Pete
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
San Antonio
Denver
Salt Lake City
Vancouver
Seattle
San Francisco
San Diego
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Chicago
Detroit
Toronto
Montreal
Washington, D.C.
New York
Boston
Old 06-24-05, 08:43 AM

Yippee! They're coming to Detroit!
Old 06-24-05, 09:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I remember the last time I saw them in concert was what seems like ages ago with Orchestral Manuevers in the Dark opening for them at Merriweather Post Pavilion.
Old 06-24-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I stopped paying attention to them after Violator... I'd consider seeing them again, but the tix will probably be more than I'm willing to spend.
Old 06-24-05, 01:49 PM

I signed up for email notification at ticket master once tickets go on sale when they're in town.
Old 06-27-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
ahh, nothing will compare to that glorious evening in Pasadena '88...but I'll check out this new tour. Anything's gotta be better than that "Exciter" mess....
Old 06-27-05, 10:23 PM

Yes! They are coming to my town!

I'm a huge fan of Depeche Mode. I saw them during their Violator Tour back in 1989 (I believe), and they are an awesome concert band. Dave Gahan is a natural showman, and a dynamic frontman for the group. That guy has so much charisma, it's just oozing out of him. I haven't seen the group perform in concert since then so I don't know whether all of DM's off-stage squabbles have affected their act. It's well documented how Gahan had almost died a couple of times from drug overdoses, so I don't know whether his battles with personal demons have deteriorated his showmanship. At any rate, it'll be good to see these guys do it one more time, which may very well be their last tour.
Old 06-27-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a big Mode-head myself. Seen them more times than I can count. But you'd never catch me claiming Gahan was a "dynamic frontman."

Unless spinning in a circle with your mic stand and shouting the name of the city he's near is somehow considered showmanship . . .
Old 06-28-05, 12:24 PM

To each, his own. Spinning around with the microphone stand is a part of Gahan's shtick, and has been for as long as I can remember. It's almost his trademark, but it's not what makes him dynamic. The way he carries himself, his charisma, and his interactions with the crowd make him a natural showman. But as a fan of DM, you must have seen the Rose Bowl, Pasadena concert, which may very well be the defining concert of DM's existence. Gahan held 70,000 people captive for almost 2 hours. DM had the entire stadium in the palm of their hands, and it takes a fairly dynamic frontman to do what he did.

As I said in my previous post, I haven't seen DM live in concert since 1989. In those 16 years, maybe Gahan has slowed down, or mellowed out, so he isn't the dynamic frontman he once was, but it will still be good to see DM once more.
Old 06-28-05, 12:33 PM

I saw them last around '98 and I thought Gahan was great, but I lust for him so that could've been the difference.
Old 06-28-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I remember the last time I saw them in concert was what seems like ages ago with Orchestral Manuevers in the Dark opening for them at Merriweather Post Pavilion.
OMD is a band I would like to see again, much moreso than DM.
Old 09-12-05, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
talk about scrolling all the way down to the bottom of the webpage - here's what's mentioned:

In addition, Depeche Mode will be playing the following North American cities during October, November and December of 2005:

Fort Lauderdale
Tampa / St Pete
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
San Antonio
Denver
Salt Lake City
Vancouver
Seattle
San Francisco
San Diego
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Chicago
Detroit
Toronto
Montreal
Washington, D.C.
New York
Boston

Apparently DM wont be performing in SF!! What happened?