Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why was Yoda surprised by Force Lightning?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-16-05, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this has already been discussed, but why did Yoda act so surprised when he was struck by Sidious's force lightning? Surely he knows about darkside powers, and I'm sure Obiwan would have mentioned Dooku's lightning (from Ep 2) to Yoda.
Old 06-16-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm pretty sure Yoda knew of Dooku's lightning since he deflected and absorbed it himself. Don't know why he got caught by Palp's lightning unless he was just playing weak.
Old 06-16-05, 01:29 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That bothered me when I saw it a second time as well.

He stopped Dooku's no problem, when that should have been more of a surprise as he didn't know he was a sith until he faced him.

But with the emperor, he wasn't ready at all and got nailed when he knew he was the dark lord of the sith and should have been expecting it.
Old 06-16-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe he mis-read the emperor's abilities and figured on the emperor not being quite as powerful as he was?
Old 06-16-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
it caught him off guard.. even though the emperor really makes it obvious by sticking his hands out for a good couple minutes before shooting lightning.
Old 06-16-05, 05:23 PM

Yoda only seemed surprised only when they were looking at each other but when Sidious couldn't see Yoda's face Yoda was peeking at him , so Yoda apparently was just testing out Sidious's force power which doesn't seem like alot
Old 06-17-05, 12:30 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah this didn't sit right with me either, oh well another question added to the list
Old 06-17-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Maybe he was surprised at the power of it. Perhaps Palpatine was MUCH more powerful than Dooku and it really caught Yoda off gaurd.
Old 06-17-05, 11:41 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
i'd say he looked more shocked than suprised.
ah hahah..eheh..eh..er...*ahem*
Old 06-17-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HN
Old 06-17-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by HN
ah hahah..eheh..eh..er...*ahem*
Apparently he wasn't aware of the Emperor's current abilities.
Old 06-17-05, 05:17 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Cusm
Maybe he was surprised at the power of it. Perhaps Palpatine was MUCH more powerful than Dooku and it really caught Yoda off gaurd.
Even that is iffy as he was aware of his power as he sent Obi-Wan off to fight Anakin telling him something like "Powerful enough to face Darth Sidious, you are not."

That was another dumb mistake the jedi made. Yoda and Obi-wan should have confronted Sidious together, and then dealt with anakin. They probably could have beaten him together and then could have tried to turn Anakin back.
Old 06-18-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Perhaps Yoda thought he was powerful enough to deflect the Force Lightning from someone like Sidious but was shocked (no pun intended) to find out that sidious was way more powerful than even Yoda had guessed. At least that's what I thought when I saw that seen.

Besides, if he'd known how powerful Sidious truly was, he would have immediately gone into hiding instead of trying to fight him. Yoda's hubris got the better of him. Another sign that the Jedi were not as wise as they had grown to believe themselves to be.

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-18-05 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-19-05, 01:00 AM

I just write it off as a sloppy scene, I mean the emperor raises his hand super slow setting this up and Yoda just stares at him like this was his first day being a jedi , would have liked it more if Sidious simply overwhelmed Yoda's absorbtion with that first blast, which would have also tied into him making a run for it after losing his lightsaber.
Old 06-19-05, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it was done so Lucas could show just how powerful the emperor was. It was done to prove that Palpatine and Yoda were equal. Palpatine knocked Yoda out with the lightning and then Yoda went right back at him and knocked him out. Then they fought to a draw. Lucas just wanted to prove that they were equals. Its neither sloppy nor a tough question, its a simple device used to make a point.
Old 07-01-05, 06:48 PM

The Jedi seem to have a habit of underestimating people and just hoping for the best (Example:Anakin)
Old 07-20-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Yoda seems to pretend that Force Lightning doesn't exist. He even claims that the Dark Side isn't more powerful than the Light Side. I mean, the Sith have Force Lightning, the Jedi don't - therefore (dot dot dot), the Dark Side is more powerful. But Yoda keeps telling everyone it isn't so.